Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Help

This is actually more of an LT1 question----but I'm having a hellova time with the #2 plug, with all the refrigerant lines in the way, and not alot of room to work. I can't get the wrench to turn, and with extensions, it forces the swivel socket at too hard of an angle to turn. Any suggestions?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

well when i changed mine i just used a regular rachet and got in there with my skinny arms but i heard you may need to remove the alternator for more clearance
Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try going at it from underneath the car? I'm assuming this is on stock manifolds.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

if i remember correctly going from the bottom is impossible for the #2 plug, well at least for me it was i didnt have a long enough arm
Old 02-29-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what i did was take the alternator off, literally crawl on top of the motor facing the #2 plug side, and very carefully while watching what i was doing to make sure i didnt put a knee down on any sensors or anything like that i just reached down with the socket and ratchet in hand, and just felt around till i got the socket on... from there, i just prayed i could break the plug loose just enough to be able to turn it by hand
once the plug is out and loose, just take the ratchet off and turn the socket by hand
same deal for putting new plugs in...
i felt that if you almost wrap your arm around the manifold it gives a good feel for where the plug is and how much room you really have to work with
also, wouldnt recommend crawlin all over a hot motor haha... and throw some towels down or something on top of the intake because it can be very uncomfortable being up there for a while

good luck to ya... its not much fun, but you feel great once that plug is out
Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i did my boss's daughters 94 z. and that was the one i had the most trouble with. i had to do the same as stated up, pretty much lay on the motor and cram my arms down there. it took awhile but eventually it came. good luck the rest of them were fairly simple for me though.