Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers&ORY w/ stock catback

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers&ORY w/ stock catback

I have an 02' SS with just some minor mods. With tax time rollin around, I was thinking about some mods. I was thinking about LTs and an ORY and just leaving the stock cat-back...for now.
...or getting a Magnaflow cat-back and maybe gutting the stock cats.
Any input would be helpful
Old 03-02-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

i dont think an aftermarket y will fit a stock cat back, but im not positive. if i were you, i would go for a cat back first, then headers/y, or just wait a little longer and save some dough for headers and true duals..
Old 03-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by defenestrate
i dont think an aftermarket y will fit a stock cat back, but im not positive. if i were you, i would go for a cat back first, then headers/y, or just wait a little longer and save some dough for headers and true duals..
I have heard that the SS has a little bigger stock cat-back than the Z28. I don't mind the sound. I was looking for the most bang for the buck
Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

no i dont think thats true, i could be wrong. youre not going to be maximizing the headers/y if you leave the stock cat back on, its still being choked somewhat, making it a waste of money in my opinion. if you are concerned with cost, just go with a magnaflow catback-i had one...sounds good (not too loud cruising but nice sound when wide open) very good quality...i havent really heard any bad things about it.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

i have that setup, except I have a e-cutout after the y-pipe Then into the stock catback.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by signal12
I have an 02' SS with just some minor mods. With tax time rollin around, I was thinking about some mods. I was thinking about LTs and an ORY and just leaving the stock cat-back...for now.
...or getting a Magnaflow cat-back and maybe gutting the stock cats.
Any input would be helpful
That will be fine. Is your SS an SLP? do you have the SLP dual/dual exhaust? That's what I have and it's one of the best flowing exhaust but it's kind of quiet.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

a buddy of mine did that Pacesetter LT's and pacesetter Y-pipe (junk y pipe), but it all bolted up to the stock "cat-back" sounded pretty good too. it held the car back a bit but if thats all you can afford it will work. and you will see nice gains
Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Teching In

I just put on hooker LTs and a hooker ORY and left the stock catback, in january. HORRIBLE rasp. It drove me nuts! I just put on a hooker catback yesterday and haven't heard the rasp at all since.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

I think I can do the cat-back for a bit cheaper than the headers/ORY. I didn't want to put the cart before the horse so to speak. I would probably need a professional install of the headers. Gutting the cats and cat-back I can do myself. I had magnaflow on my Mach 1...sounded great. Good fit and finish too.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Save for the whole system or just get a cutout in the cat back so you can open it up for some serious sound when you want it...or be stealthy and still quick.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

I think I can do the cat-back for a bit cheaper than the headers/ORY. I didn't want to put the cart before the horse so to speak. I would probably need a professional install of the headers. Gutting the cats and cat-back I can do myself. I had magnaflow on my Mach 1...sounded great. Good fit and finish too.
no need to gut the cats. just buy the off road y pipe unless you just want to look legal.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1SS01
That will be fine. Is your SS an SLP? do you have the SLP dual/dual exhaust? That's what I have and it's one of the best flowing exhaust but it's kind of quiet.
It's the regular SS, not the SLP Edition.
I'm leaning toward the cat-back and geting rid of the cats. I'm sure I can get 'em off and gut them pretty easy.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

if you are comfortable with doing the other work, i would say give the headers a shot when the time comes-i just did mine for the first time...wasnt too bad. try to get a buddy to help you out, doing them solo isnt the most fun but its doable its pretty simple though, and there is TONS of info on the forum to help out. saves yourself about 400 bucks doing it at home!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

I had my headers installed before I bought a catback. It sounded really weird kind of high pitched. After I had the SLP Dual/ Dual put on it sounded perfect!
I would get the headers and ORY installed first. You will have the big job out of the way and can look around for a catback. Just buy a cutout with the heades and ORY and call it a day.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smg267
I had my headers installed before I bought a catback. It sounded really weird kind of high pitched. After I had the SLP Dual/ Dual put on it sounded perfect!
I would get the headers and ORY installed first. You will have the big job out of the way and can look around for a catback. Just buy a cutout with the heades and ORY and call it a day.
That doesn't sound like a bad plan. The sponsors on this site have some great deals on headers/ORYs...depends on the taxes.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

That doesn't sound like a bad plan. The sponsors on this site have some great deals on headers/ORYs...depends on the taxes.
Check the parts for sale section too. I bought my slp headers and ORY for $200. I forget how much I paid for the SLP catback but it was cheap too. There are alot of great deals out there. I know the pacesetters and ORY go for dirt cheap new.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

^^^^^
Oh yeah. I'm on here several times a day. I keep looking for deals
Old 03-04-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

i just bought XS stainless steel headers and ORY for 440 bucks shipped off ebay (the ones on the blue tarp) fit nice and snug, great clearence, also bought an electric cutout to free up the extra horses that is killed by my slowmaster catback
Old 03-04-2008, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Just don't go with SLP LT's....omg...they hang way too low.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

^^^Some people have good luck with them and others don't. They are the lowest hanging headers out of all of them though. SLP is coming out with a re-designed header though with improved ground clearance.