Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought the wrong heads :@

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bought the wrong heads :@

I just received a pair of heads that I was under the impression were 241 casting heads.

I bought them because for whatever reason, after a few months, I end up with a ticking in my heads due to bent pushrods. Always in the second cylinder on the driver's side.

well, after opening the box an our ago, I find out they're 806's (908 upside down). There are however posted and polished as mentioned by the seller.

My question is what can I do with these heads?

Could I strip the comp 918 srpings, valves, retainers and all that good stuff to rebuild my 241 casting heads and hopefully solve my bent pushrod problems... or am I stuck to just hocking them at a loss as is?

I have a cam deal in the works for a TR224 112lsa coming as I was going to swap both heads and cam at the same time, but I could have put that money towards bills now that I have the wrong heads and certainly don't want to drive my car around if its constantly bending rods.

Ideas??
Old 03-10-2008, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Are you sure you don't have a lifter issue? You could strip them down and use the parts but as for the pushrod problem I'm not sure man, there is obviously something wrong with that cylinder.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

I have no idea what it could be.
I pulled the valve covers off and did a visual check, replaced the pushrods with oems and within 2 months it was ticking away again. Haven't checked since as my garage isn't heated and the car was just taken out yesterday.
Sounded like *** after being stored over winter.

Certainly don't want to drive it like that.

I could remove the heads and send them out to get checked, but I'm sure that'll rack me up a few hundred pretty quick. Plus and replacement parts needed.

I was hoping just to swap them out for the cost of used heads.
I dind't however check with the seller as to what the casting was before buying. Turns out he just said LS1 and I didn't know there were different casting heads for 98... learned the hardway.

I'm not really keen on tearing the engine apart as I don't have nearly enough wrench time under mybelt.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be doing H/C on my 98 in the next month and will sell you valve covers, bolts and coil brackets dirt cheap if you want to run them. PM me if interested.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks. I'll book mark this thread and try to figure out what I'm going to do.

I don't suppose any of the sponsors have a wicked financing rate for new ones?