Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hacking the Stock Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hacking the Stock Y-pipe

I can't afford to run out and buy a full exhaust at the moment, so I'm trying to conjure up little ways to get an extra horse or two.

My car's pretty much stock, except for the free mods, lid, and cut-out. Today I'm ditching the front swaybar to get a little better launch, and got to looking at the exhaust.

We all know that the stock Y is about as thick a slice of bologna before it joins up, so what about cutting it a little further up? Do you think there'd be little if any gain by eliminating some of the flat spot and opening things up? If so, how far could you go before disturbing anything? I know these cars are sensitive when you start hacking crap off.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't do it, just save your money until you can do it right. And I don't think there will be anything to gain if there is a gain it wont be felt..
Old 03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Launching!

I seriously doubt it, you'd be wasting a good stock y-pipe. Save for an exhaust system, it will be alot better. I looked into replacing my stock cats after they clogged, I did not want to patch in some high flows into the ends of the pipe, all the cats I found had alot thinner gauge construction than the stocker. I know it would work, but I thought it was jank and was worried they would become tuning forks. I instead put some long tubes in, it worked well since.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Default ck this out

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/873126-oval-pipe-flow-good-round.html