Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

goodam i'm smokin!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default goodam i'm smokin!

i got an 02 camaro with around 4000 miles, recently i got the urge to mod it and went with the followin:

free-be mods
lid
de-screened mass air
ls6 patriot heads
custom grind cam, dont remember specs (around 242 @ 50)
fast 90,90 intake and t/b
full lenght pacesetters, custom y
yank 4000

shorth block is otherwise stock and so is everything else...............

idle's nice and lumpy, drives around like a champ w/ minimal tune that a friend of mine put in with hp tuner.

I drove the car around for a while and yes i floored it quite a few times. noticed that it felt flat after 5k rpm's so i would back off to half to 3/4 throttle....... everything was cool for a while. then when i started driving around in "cruise mode" the car started smoking like i put some ronchy-*** gas in it!! it's so bad it comes back into my cowl and in the cab thru the a/c! there is no notice-able miss fire nor does it burn oil so i dont think i leaned it out enough to dropp a cyl, dunno how much ls1 can take though, its my 1st!!

any one have any feedback as to what can cause all that dam smoke??? check engine light is always on and its sometimes flashes

haven't taken car for a full tune yet, dont want to waste an out of town trip only to find out my motor sucks, btw anyone suggest a good ls1 dyno tuner in the mid to south texas region?

Last edited by SILVERBACK_sw; 03-12-2008 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What color smoke?
Smoke from where?
What does smoke smell like?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KENS_SS_4
What color smoke?
Smoke from where?
What does smoke smell like?
X2

That also probably wasn't the greatest of ideas to romp the car around with mods that substantial on a minimal tune.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like your need to check the pcv system on the back side of the intake... There is a crapy y fitting back there, that are know to break...Next do a cyl pressure check..If it was me i would go straight to cyl 3 first...(ThaTS the sec one on the driver side) My car did almost the same thing...I fried the rings and scared the cyl wall ..If you find a cyl with low or no pressure its time to pull the head and see what the heck happened... Good luck... Pm me if you have any-more questions
Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The romping without a good tune was pretty stupid, especially on a car with that big of a cam. Was the piston to valve clearance checked since they are aftermarket heads? That's a mighty big cam. Patriot mills some of their heads before shipping them out (they would have told you), and that could cause problems with a cam that big.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

I am surpised that car was even able to idle without a tune, that is a huge cam are you sure you didnt mean 232? What was the lift on it? I have a 238/242 .620/610 and clearance is TIGHT and that is with TFS 215 heads which give you more clearance because of the change in valve angle. was the PTV clearance checked at all? i am VERY curious to see where it is. what kind of springs did you go with? i think those are why you are flat lining at 5,000.