Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on EGR,Air INjection Removal,

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjohnson
So if taking the egr off makes your cats work harder. What would it do you if you took the cats off also? Would you have to get it tuned for taking the cats off?
Well, usually people remove EGR when they are installing headers...and that means they normally don't have cats... you don't need a tune, it will just trigger a check engine light.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont 01-02 F-bodies not have EGR anyway with the addition of the LS6 intake manifold? As far as I know those cars get the same gas milage as 98-00. I dont think removing EGR or AIR will do anything but throw codes. I am planning to remove both on my car as soon as I get headers, followed by a tune to remove the codes out of the system.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by udienow
Dont 01-02 F-bodies not have EGR anyway with the addition of the LS6 intake manifold? As far as I know those cars get the same gas milage as 98-00. I dont think removing EGR or AIR will do anything but throw codes. I am planning to remove both on my car as soon as I get headers, followed by a tune to remove the codes out of the system.
correct, 01-02 does not have egr. and egr has NOTHING to do with gas mileage, its strictly emissions
Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Teching In

The 01-02 doesn't have egr b/c of a different profile cam that eliminates the need for the egr. At least that's what everyone on this site keeps saying. But the egr should help gas mileage for the simple fact that your only using, as stated above about 90% of your combustion chamber for fresh air and gasoline and the rest of the space is taken up by an inert gas. (unless of course you're running a SC or Turbo setup i would think)
Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am removing air/egr stuff this weekend and i hope the cars runs smooth. So much stuff on here with pros and cons. i will get them tuned out later if there are no problems.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

I have headers w/ offroad X pipe (no cats) , i wonder if removing the AIR system will help get rid of the intermittent popping type sound, obviously don't need it since no need to be heating up the hollow pipes
Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey i dont mean to go against anything but i have a 2002 Z/28 and i think i have EGR but i am not sure. i have 2 pipes running to the back of my motor (cant see back there without a flashlight yet so i dont know where they go) and they are coming from the headers, what is this? and what is the AIR system and where is the pump i want them off.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

^^^That is the AIR system, and the pipes runing from it behind the intake don't connect to the intake. They simply go from one manifold to the other, because air is being pumped into the manifold from them. The pump is near the drivers side headlight I believe. It's tucked in there pretty good so it's hard to see from above. Just follow the tubes from you manifolds till they me another pipe in a Y-like junction and follow the third tube to the pump.

I've seen some guys say the later F-bodies had some sort of small vacuum hose conected to the intake from the AIR system but i don't know for sure. Mine is not connected to the intake at all.

!AIR Write-up

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/673299-air-removal-pics.html

Last edited by xXSilencerXx; 07-23-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:36 PM

egr is emissons, no control on fuel mileage, does reburn inert gasses as a filler but the ecu leans out at cruise speed anyway. The air injection cleans out the cat, stops it from over saturation also helps o2 sweep if you have no cats it will still throw a code because the ecu dosent register it operating. the air tube at the lid supplies ther pump with clean air
Old 05-05-2015, 10:54 PM
Teching In

ok this my sound stupid but i live in the great state of california where we have the lovely smog rules. my AIR system blew out and i got a code for it. if i were to remove it completely would i be able to pass smog?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

If you completely remove the AIR system, no. You'll still have the same code, and you won't pass smog. If you get the code tuned out, you can potentially. Depends upon how thorough of an inspection the testing facility does.

Also, lets try avoiding reviving 7 year old threads. If you have a question, start your own

Quick Reply: Advise on EGR,Air INjection Removal,