New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delving into the DYI world.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delving into the DYI world.

Hey guys. I really don't do a whole lot of mine own work (well none really), and up until recently i had not even changed the oil myself. Well, after the H/C/I swap I looked at the bill and I realized that I could have damn near done a 402 for what i paid in labor.

So today I bought a pair of jack stands, and a 2 ton jack and changed the oil. It was sorta rewarding to do it myself, so i think i am going to try and jump into the DYI world. I am going to replace the drivers side window motor this weekend, and the drivers side running light socket (it got water in there i believe and doesn't turn on).

Anyhow, I am going to try and do the next build myself (in a yr or so), and was wondering if you guys would not recommend that I undertake a project of this magnitude? I plan on going big CI (402 or 418). I would also want to replace the K-members, shocks and coil overs, brakes. Now I would probably have a chasis shop do the mini-tub and 6 point cage install (I can't weld, and am not gonna learn on my car), but pretty much do the rest of it myself.

Is this a bad idea? What tools would i need? I know that it is possible to pull the motor out the top, but pulling it out of the bottom requires a lift? Feel free to tell me what you think guys, I won't be offended if you think this is rediculous proposal.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Do lots of research and studying. Invest in repair manuals and study them before you dive in, and follow them to the tee. Take your time and if you should be alright. I would have a speed shop assemble the motor, tho. over or under tighten, or miss what you might think to be a small detail, something like that could get expensive fast.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its DIY
anything is possible Im sure you know a few guys that have worked on cars before, yall get together and knock that **** out. But thats alot of work for some one who as never changed their oil
Old 03-27-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

anything is possible with time and a decent set of tools. If you have a good mechanical knowledge i think you might be able to do it. It really just depends on how much downtime you can afford with your car and who can lend a hand if you get into a snag. Id maybe suggest trying to work on your car yourself where possible(I always figure if i need to buy tools, its made up in the money i would have spent in labour, and then at least i own it for future repairs).....see how those go first before messin with a full engine assmbly where you have to pay attention to all the details(tq specs etc)
Old 03-27-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I bought my car I wanted to do some of the work myself as well. I have never worked on my own cars previously.

I bought a set of jack stands, a jack, $200 set of wrenches and sockets, and two torque wrenches.

I've installed easy things like lid, throttle body, headers, and suspension. I'll leave the engine work to the pros though.

Even after doing most of the work on my car myself I still pay someone to change my oil. My parents won't let any oil get near their clean driveway.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Spend some of your free time studying. Get a book on rebuilding engines, preferably the LS2, but even a book on SBC's will help, the basics are the same. Get on here and find out what other people do. Find out what people do that works well, and also find out how other people have fucked their **** up, learn from their mistakes. It is inevitable that you will run into a few issues when your doing any major modifications to your car, but if you use a little bit of common sense and ask questions, do your research, then you will be alright. Knowing when you don't know is half the battle here, don't get in a rush and start assuming ****. My Camaro is my first car, when I got it in 06 I had never done any work with a car, but look at my sig, I did all the work myself by just taking my time and doing research. Good luck to you bro.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not considering rebuilding the engine. I plan to order a shortblock from a sponser. I just want to try and do the install.

What tools would I need to do this? I have a buddy who has a lift, but the car can't live up there for months at a time so it would have to remain a rolling chasis for the most part while waiting for parts. (The heads will have to be sent to tony mamo for porting, and the Fast IM will need to be sent to Nitrous Dave for the DP plumbing.)

I guess the best thing to do would be to pull the heads/IM and see how that goes. I guess if i could get that far, then I would have a better idea of my abilities to handle the rest of the project. I could also drop the heads by LME (relatively close by, and they could build and blueprint the longblock, that way I would at least not mess up the engine by degreeing the camshaft incorrectly.

Anyhow, thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Given your limited experience I would at least buy a pre assembled short block. It will save you time and you can sell your old one.

You can get the engine out the bottom with two floor jacks provided they will go high enough.

Re'
Old 03-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Teching In

mitchell labor guide 12hrs engine assy r&r. horsepower tv did a camaro project motor they lifted car off engine/front suspension after all wiring cooling a/c disconnected.with floor jacks about 30" clearance needed. good luck and work safe
Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't delve into DYI. That's gross and perverted.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

lots and lots of tools.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get yourself a set of factory repair manuals. Not that Chilton, Hayes junk.

Search this Thread