Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with car price negotiation

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with car price negotiation

I'm looking at 2001 Camaro Z28 with 103,xxx miles for $5808. KBB value for the car is about $10,500 for this car in excellent condition. It's a former NC police cruiser. I know that's bad, but I've gotten a Carfax for it and everything checks out good. Plus, I'm studying Auto Tech right now, so I'll be able to do all my own work. My questions is, do you think I could get it for less than $5800 and what would you suggest I do when negotiating (price, strategies, etc.) or is that a good enough price? I greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

I understand that you are an Auto Tech. You could try to look over the car (or a mechanic shop for that matter) and appraise the value of things that are wrong with it, and try to deduct them from the value of the car (kbb tends to be lower than nada, and don't go by excellent condition because this car was a fleet car once). One thing that will bring the value of the car down is the fact that it was a cruiser. It has probably been beaten, but at the same time the maintenance was also probably kept up well. At 103,xxx miles, an 01' isn't a bad price at $5800. Could you go lower? Possibly, but not more than a few hundred dollars. Its all about finding the price that the buyer and seller are both happy with. If he doesn't budge at $5800, and you don't feel that its worth it, then don't buy it. Always remember when shopping for used cars that the car you are buying is only worth what you are willing to pay for it.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

It's not the steal of the century, but not highway robbery either. It all depends on the condition of the thing.

What are you willing to pay?

Also, can you afford to wait, watch, and travel to get the deal you need?

I watched one car and truck after another come and go before settling on my '98. Being patient rewarded me with a hell of a car for a hell of a price, and a nice trip to Atlanta.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Well, I still have to hear and drive it. I've been by the past two afternoons after work but they were closed. All I could do was look it over. I'd be willing to pay $5800 as long as it's running fine. All things consider that sounds like a pretty fair price to me. I've been searching on and off for about 3 years now. It's really hard to find a good value, that's in my price range, around Eastern NC.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

If everything seems good when you check it out, I would say that's a pretty fair price just like you said. I can't really see you finding one much lower anytime soon.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm probably going to drive the car after school tomorrow. I'll let ya know how things go.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Offer 5k. See where it goes from there.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as the shop says its all good, go for it.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Well, I wasn't able to talk them down at all, but provided USAA doesn't have a problem with the car, and there are no problems when I test drive it tomorrow, I should be driving it home.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Good Luck...