New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idleing high most of the time, how do I check sensors? Have multimeter, not versed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idleing high most of the time, how do I check sensors? Have multimeter, not versed.

I don't know exactly how to check sensors, also never really used a multimeter, but I bought one anticipating the need.

Car is not throwing any codes, but is tending to want to idle high. Mostly noticeable when driving. Actually something I noticed to a lesser degree not long after buying the car was as I'd be slowing the vehicle speed down I don't tend to always push in the clutch until the rpm has come down to near idle (not really that low, but a few hundred rpm above perhaps) but when I do that it shoots back up to like 1500 to 1800 rpm. Then the rpm somewhat slowly comes down, but rarily back down to a normal level (often hangs up at around 1000/1100 or even 1200 rpm, stock cam so). Another thing I noticed, was this was made worse after my throttle body porting. I was thinking perhaps the idle air bypass valve needs to be looked at, or the tps. Just don't know exactly how you do that or what settings to put the multimeter on to do it.

I'm used to oldschool muscle, so I'm not used to anything other than an idle screw or my foot controlling the rpm (provided the carb is setup right and there's no gasket leak).

I don't suspect an air leak in the intake manifold gaskets at all, just kind of thinking the idle air bypass combined with my porting is letting a little more air by the throttle blade and is likely causing the issue. I'd like to be able to check the sensors to know for a fact hey its either in tolerance or not before I do anything like epoxying the bleeder hole in the throttle blade to bring the idle down. Plus, at times the idle does come down normally again making me think idle air bypass solenoid.

Anybody have a link for this newbie kind of info????

Thanks for any help, car runs very very strong. Just needs some little maintenance issues addressed.