Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some ls1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default some ls1 questions

hey guys i have some simple ls1 related questions.

1. I know that the ls1 in the f-bodies was underrated, so my question is what did GM say was the reason that the "f-body ls1" produced less HP, and do the two ls1's (vette and fbody) actually produce the same HP? or is one slightly less?

2. I have been reading on this site that the Ram Air package on the WS.6 and SS do not actually produce the advertised 15 extra HP. It is said that and ls1 is an ls1 and that a car with ram air is still just as fast as a car without it. So how can the two cars possibly have the same HP if you add a ram air package? How could the ram air possibly not give you that extra power considering that cold air is advertised to give you more power?

3. I read somewhere that the ls6 in the corvette is a "high-output version of the standard ls1." What is the difference between the ls1 and ls6? How hard would it be to convert a ls1 to a ls6?

4. I was looking at the cam specs for a ls1 and they seem weird when compared to the specs for a gen 1 small block. Im looking at cams for my 87 GTA and generally the gen 1 engines use cams with a longer duration and a smaller lift, and ls1's use cams with a shorter duration than mine but have bigger lift numbers than mine(im talking aftermarket). So basically, why do the ls1's have less duration/bigger lift cams while gen 1's have longer duration/shorter lift cams? Why wouldnt ls1 owners want a cam with the longer duration like the cams im looking at for my engine (gen 1)?

thanks a lot in advance
Old 04-19-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I won't answer all your questions, but the answer to the first two is marketing, marketing. And marketing. GM didn't want anyone thinking that you could get the exact same engine in a $30k SS or Trans Am that you would have to pay $50 for in a Vette.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GM officially attributed the difference in power ratings between the F-bodies and Corvette to the air intake and exhaust; the Corvette exhaust manifolds are, in fact, pretty decent for factory pieces. Not a 45 hp difference though, not even close. In fact if you read the LS1 FAQ thread in this forum (seriously, read it) you'll see a Hot Rod article where they dyno an LS1 Vette and an LS1 F-body and the F-body puts down more power. Muhahaha!
The LS6 has better-flowing heads and a more aggressive cam than the LS1, resulting in a real-life power increase of roughly 50 hp.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:48 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

1. Like others mentioned, its presumed that GM didn't want to steer people away from a vette for a car with same hp for alot less.

2. Same power. Unless maybe you bought a SS/Firehawk with SLP's lid and dual-dual option.

3. Only real reason for power on LS6 vs LS1 is the LS6's bigger cam and better heads.

4. Alot of spec's for older SBC motors for cam's are not at .050 specs.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

1) well it is simple how do you sell a guy a car for $50k and tell it is no faster than the $25k car, marketing, corvette owners have to feel like they got the cream of the crop for the money they spent, same hp at the flywheel but vette has better exhaust system (duals) and diff cam
2) if you can get up to 100mph you will notice a diff other than that, just a marketing ploy
3) the LS6 is a diff block with port holes between the cylinders for better bay-to-bay breathing in higher rpms, diff heads which create a little higher compression (64cc chambers versus the 66cc chambers on the LS1) a diff cam with longer duration and higher lift, and the better intake manifold which came on 01-02 f-bodies also
4) she's a new breed of small block my friend, just designed to run a little differently, but you still get bigger durations the bigger the cam you look at
Old 04-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

hey thanks guys