Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo...

will this work for a 98 z28 and would anything else have to be done? i dont know too much about turbos...

click here
Old 04-23-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep getting kicked out of the link but I see T70 turbo. Is it just the turbo? Regaurdless a turbo has tons of work to be involved. You need different manifolds, intercooler, intake piping, exhaust piping, some fuel, etc. You can make any turbo work, because its going to be a big custom job.

I dont know if thats what you were asking or not... sorry if its not.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Banned

Yah thats just a turbo...by itself it is useless. They sell complete kits for around $3000 $4000.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

for that kind of money wouldnt someone be better off getting a supercharger?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned

I think a supercharger is about the same price, but produce less power. Even if you did get one it would be a good idea to upgrade your drivetrain.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

You can get cheap turbos, rebuild them.. get some quality second hand parts, and weld up your own system for a lot cheaper then the norm. I am in the same boat as you, but I am going to use turbos from a diesel cummins those things are cheap and readily available. I am not looking for a A++ system, just one that works.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya the HX35 and HY35's or whatever are pretty decent turbos, and are a popular choice for the import guys. But as I said you cant just bolt in a turbo.

If you are asking if thats a good size turbo, imo yes. But I think the size depends on your preference. For instance you couldnt just put a 100mm turbo on a stock motor. Spool time would be ridiculous, and you would have to be at such a high rpm that you couldnt really use it. Plus you would blow the motor up.

LS1's are not that great to just turbo with stock internals. The compression is too high to run a decent amount of boost.

If you want to go FI and make gobs of power with out messing with a built motor, then you should go N2O. LS1's love it, and its pretty popular. You can run a pretty decent shot too. If you want to make 450 hp quickly and affordable then just spend $700 on a wet system.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nick_Rapitis
will this work for a 98 z28 and would anything else have to be done? i dont know too much about turbos...

click here
To turbocharge an Ls1 the right way is going to take a pretty good amount of money. You need turbo, wastegate, injectors, fuel pump(s), an intercooler or meth kit or both, a good tune and that's just a few of the things. I've spent over two years and upwards of $9,000 gathering parts for my car and I still have a couple things left to buy. If you're really serious about going the turbo route my advice would be to go to the forced induction forum and read as much as you can. Here is a good thread that expains a lot of the costs associated with turbocharging:https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/567592-real-price-forced-induction.html Good luck with whatever you choose.