New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: what would you do
take the B4C and have cash left over for some small mods
72.73%
look around some more for a m6 car (wouldnt be in as good of shape)
27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Thinking of getting B4C

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking of getting B4C

Hi, been a long time viewer of the site, but haven't posted till now. I've previously owned 2 camaros (97 RS conv) and a 02 NBM, both have been v6 (college budget) but i've come across a 2002 B4C NBM that looks to be in good condition, I should be taking a trip to go look at it this weekend. It has 130,000 mi, A4, cloth, hard top, and they are asking just under 7k. I've been wanting a m6, but the odds of finding one for less than my budget seems to be near impossible. What do you guys think, does this sound like a good deal? also, would it be safe to add a small cam in a car with those miles? (nothing too big, more interested in sound than having peek numbers since it will be a DD) Sorry for the long post.

~406Malibu

Last edited by 406malibu; 04-29-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot depends on the overall condition of the car and what kind of repairs it needs, if any.

Just looking at the numbers, I'd say the price is not bad. However, I would say you can find a couple of years older car with lower miles for close to that price. Depends on the market in your area, of course.

What comes to the cam, I'd put it this way: If you are worried about something breaking, I'd skip it. Not that the engine would blow up from installing a small cam or will need any rebuild still for several tens of thousands of miles, if even then, but still.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

from what the owner said only repair would need to be passenger side window motor, but lets face it any f-body with a fair amount of use has problems with those going out... i had to replace the drivers side motor 3 times in my first car, and once on the second one (tho they were both getting slow)
Old 04-30-2008, 05:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 406malibu
Hi, been a long time viewer of the site, but haven't posted till now. I've previously owned 2 camaros (97 RS conv) and a 02 NBM, both have been v6 (college budget) but i've come across a 2002 B4C NBM that looks to be in good condition, I should be taking a trip to go look at it this weekend. It has 130,000 mi, A4, cloth, hard top, and they are asking just under 7k. I've been wanting a m6, but the odds of finding one for less than my budget seems to be near impossible. What do you guys think, does this sound like a good deal? also, would it be safe to add a small cam in a car with those miles? (nothing too big, more interested in sound than having peek numbers since it will be a DD) Sorry for the long post.

~406Malibu
Don't jump on the first f-body you find. Wait a little and eventually, what you want will show up. It sounds like you are looking for the same kind of car I was when I was looking. I'd stay away from a B4C because that trans probably has a lot of hard use. I also wanted an M6. I ended up finding a 1999 Z-28, in great condition. It's an M6, has 174K, but looks like it has 50K miles on it, and I got it for $5k from the original owner.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yea i would definatly hold off, dont settle. seems a fair price but you can find an m6 for the same price. have you checked craigslist.com in your area? BEST PLACE EVER. and if you go with a cam, i HIGHLY recommend a thunder racing tr224/224 112*. perfect dd cam. doesnt even take away too much gas mileage either. its a low to mid range power cam. so its where you need it. i love mine. if you decide against the cam the first thing i would do if i were you is get some gears. 4.11 is whats in mine and like my cam... i love it.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the more i look around the more i seem to find, i found a '00 m6 on craigslist for 8k, (the most i could spend), so thanks for letting me know about that... i didnt even think to look on there lol I'll know what rout im taking by this weekend.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get 2 b4c cars for that price at the police auction...my buddy did - twice haha.

b4c cars are the exact same as a z28. only difference is: the b4c cars have block heaters. 00 b4c vs. 00 z28 - his car weighed exactly 100 lbs lighter than my all-option z28 (t-top 273 car) but was otherwise the same.

if i had it to do over, i'd buy a b4c at an auction and swap an m6 into it myself if it didn't already have one.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 406malibu
Yea the more i look around the more i seem to find, i found a '00 m6 on craigslist for 8k, (the most i could spend), so thanks for letting me know about that... i didnt even think to look on there lol I'll know what rout im taking by this weekend.
yes yes your welcome! im like a walking ad for them. anyone thinks about buying ANYTHING im like look on craigslist. such a bad *** place. i swear if i won the lottery i would buy a car at least once a week off there. there are SOO many good deals. thats where i got mine. if i had 9k right now i would buy this one that is a 99 ss auto but rebuilt tranny with 53k on it for what? 9000 dollars!?!?!?!?? thats just crazy. and just wait, if you keep looking there will always be a better deal. just because some people NEED to sell it so they list cheaper than all the others. ive got 3 tabs up on my work computer, one is my email, one is ls1 tech, and the last is craigslist. its like crack. seriously.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

What the hell is a b4c car? Is it a camaro thing, cause I am usually out the loop on chevy options.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

im pretty sure it was the option used by law enforcement. good luck running from that. lol. if i was a cop i would want to drive one. that would be sweet. i would be like **** a new mustang and keep your charger. i want THAT 10 year old peice of awesomeness.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

imagine your job being that you had to ride around in an ls1 ALL DAY and pull people over. i would **** myself with excitement everytime somone tried to run. just because i know that i would not only catch them, but have a legit reason to top that **** out! i would also throw a cam and some gears in it. lol. a HUGE cam considering the police department would pay for repairs.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by theycallmealex89
imagine your job being that you had to ride around in an ls1 ALL DAY and pull people over. i would **** myself with excitement everytime somone tried to run. just because i know that i would not only catch them, but have a legit reason to top that **** out! i would also throw a cam and some gears in it. lol. a HUGE cam considering the police department would pay for repairs.
LOL yea, that would be a kick *** job.... why did i choose engineering
Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by landonew
What the hell is a b4c car? Is it a camaro thing, cause I am usually out the loop on chevy options.
B4C is the RPO code for fleet camaros that were used for police cars, most were all A4 hardtops with cloth
Old 04-30-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

i would hunt around a little more, be willing to travel some if necessary, i drove 300 miles for my Formula, but still go look at this car, even if you dont buy it you can gain some knowledge of what to look for on the next one
Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i dont even know if im going to go look at it, ive found something closer, with less miles t-tops, and a six speed :-p but i agree i dont want to get the first one i find unless its absolutely what i want.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i also found a SOM that i really like... but its an A4, slightly out of my price range, and has been modded to hell.... not that modding is bad, cause it most definately isnt, I just want to do the mods I want
Old 04-30-2008, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by landonew
B4C is just the code for a camaro w/ police package. Its got everything that a Z28 does except the Z28 badges.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Teching In

my 99 z28 car does have badges and they also have a 3:23 gear from the factory. they are kinda rare mine is a 1 or 18 made mystic teal a4 b4c. I know mine was a state highway patrol car and it still runs like a champ even those the 140k miles on her were hard miles they are well maintained miles and i continue to beat on it.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you can assume that the b4c's were beat on...but since they are a government vehicle, they were well maintained... when i bought mine, it was being used as a performance shop car...mostly 1/4 mile stints...and it still runs strong...the only problem is the rearend is almost gone...
Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Just to let you guys know... Police camaros are horrible... sure the car is alot more pimp then the crown vics and impallas... but guys... you are forgetting you are wearing a gun belt... my console used to push my sidearm into my side for 12 hour long shift... talking about uncomfortable...