Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil in Throttle Body

Before anyone yells at me i did search, but that left me even more confused. I took my throttle body off today to send it off to get P&P'd. and i noticed there was a good bit of caked on oil, and some wet oil, on and around it. I just got the car so i haven't been able to track any oil loss yet. I'm assuming this has something to do with the pcv system. apparently this is a common occurrence? But now i'm confused as to what to do about? replace the pcv valve? catch can? vertical pcv valve mod? ls6 pcv? can someone please just give me a straight answer?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

I thought that the LS6 pcv system or a catch can was the most common fix. either that or just put breathers on the thing.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

The standard catch can connected to the PCV line won't keep oil off the throttle body. Look at where the PCV valve goes--well behind the TB. So where does the oil come from? Comes from the breather hose that goes from the pass side valve cover to the TB.
It will only come out of there under hard acceleration when there is no manifold vacuum or if your engine has excessive blow by.
A few people have dual catch cans that have a can for the pcv line and one for the breather line.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

So just getting a catch can is not going to stop oil from getting in?

Last edited by twpetry; 05-08-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by twpetry
So if i get a valve cover breather can i delete my entire pcv system? since i'm not making enough horsepower to create to much crankcase pressure?
Theres more to it than that, but that will work. In my opinion the best thing to do would be to take that hose off the TB, plug the TB port and put a small breather on that hose or plug the hose nipple on the valve cover and put the breather on the filler cap.
I think it's best to keep the pcv valve just to pull vapors out of the crankcase.

Just be sure what ever you do will pass inspection if your state has it.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

So just getting a catch can is not going to stop oil from getting in?
Damn you changed the question lol.

If you have oil in your TB it's coming from the pass side valve cover. Some people get a dual catch can so they can put one on the breather line and one on the pcv line.
Typically you only get oil in the TB if you run it hard for some time.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm, it seems like getting a catch can would be the best solution, but they're so dam expensive, most i've seen are close to $200. The breathers are so much cheaper. ok so if i put a breather on the filler cap what else to i have to plug up? because obviously all the stock pcv stuff is still there. and i'm a little confused as to your other method put a breather in the hose after the pcv valve? do they make ones that small?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Hmm, it seems like getting a catch can would be the best solution, but they're so dam expensive, most i've seen are close to $200. The breathers are so much cheaper. ok so if i put a breather on the filler cap what else to i have to plug up? because obviously all the stock pcv stuff is still there. and i'm a little confused as to your other method put a breather in the hose after the pcv valve? do they make ones that small?

What I mean is remove the hose that goes from the TB to the pass side valve cover.
You could just plug both nipples (the one on the valve cover and the one on the TB) and put a breather in the oil fill cap. I'm not sure how you'd put a breather in the fill cap but I've seen it done.

Or just disconnect the hose from the TB, plug the TB nipple and put a small breather on the hose from the valve cover. I've seen the small breathers at the autozone down the street.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
What I mean is remove the hose that goes from the TB to the pass side valve cover.
You could just plug both nipples (the one on the valve cover and the one on the TB) and put a breather in the oil fill cap. I'm not sure how you'd put a breather in the fill cap but I've seen it done.

Or just disconnect the hose from the TB, plug the TB nipple and put a small breather on the hose from the valve cover. I've seen the small breathers at the autozone down the street.
Here is a little more of what he is trying to say look at my pic below. The breather completely replaces the oil fill cap that I have. The TB to valve cover tube is still on mine b/c I dont have oil behind the TB so I don't worry about it. If for some reason some shows up ill just go buy a 5/16 nipple and plug it.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

ok so i bought one of those small breathers (not the oil cap one), but i was wondering about the other line that plugs into the intake manifold. i'm assuming thats the one with the pcv valve actually in it. what do i do about that tube?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can run a catch can and keep your pcv or just plug it like I did. If you look closely you can see the rubber plug where the pcv used to be.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will cure it all:

Old 05-10-2008, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by miller456
You can run a catch can and keep your pcv or just plug it like I did. If you look closely you can see the rubber plug where the pcv used to be.
so what about the other end? you plug that too? i kinda lost the tube around the back of the engine. i noticed you completely removed that line. which is kinda what i'm going for.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep the line runs to the back and splits off into the back of the driver side valve cover and then also into the passenger side valve cover. The back of the passenger side valve cover you will see the breather tube(not sure of the exact name) just plug that with a 5/16 rubber plug. Then on the driver side I found a pcv valve fits perfect in that hole and u can just cover it with another 5/16 plug. If you would like me to take some pics for you I can.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Yep the line runs to the back and splits off into the back of the driver side valve cover and then also into the passenger side valve cover. The back of the passenger side valve cover you will see the breather tube(not sure of the exact name) just plug that with a 5/16 rubber plug. Then on the driver side I found a pcv valve fits perfect in that hole and u can just cover it with another 5/16 plug. If you would like me to take some pics for you I can.
yeah more pics would be greatly appreciated! what did you use to plug the intake manifold? also where did u get the 5/16 plugs, an auto parts, or hardware store? i didn't see them at autozone but then again i wasn't really looking for them, ha.

Last edited by twpetry; 05-10-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright give me a little bit i have to find my camera, I have an ls6 intake with no egr provisions so the only thing i had to plug was where the pcv valve was. I just used another rubber plug there. If you have an ls1 intake you will need an expandable freeze plug wich most auto parts stores have on hand.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

yeah more pics would be greatly appreciated! also, what did you use to plug the intake manifold?

Yes, Miller has it right.

You do NOT want to plug the intake manifold or you will have no vacuum siurce to flush the crankcase of the harmfull vapors (sulferic acid is just one of the byproducts of combustion you do NOT want re-condensing into the crankcase after cool down).

You need to pull vac at idle & low RPM's to be sure theu are flush through. Breathers only wil vent excess pressure, but do nothing to remove the gasses completely. Miller has it right on the drivers side fitting a PCV valve perfect, and for the pass side you put on in-line....just make sure the flow is in the right direction:
or use our catch can/oil seperator with a built in PCV/check valve to avoid any issues. The oil fill cap is a great location to add a filtered breather if needed. You DO cap off the TB fitting that provided the make up air before.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have part of mine set up wrong according to TLewis, the intake manifold on mine is capped off with a rubber plug at the moment, I will be ordering one of there catch can kits here shortly.

TLewis would you mind taking a look at my pic again, look closely at how I have mine set up and tell me if im wrong in my set up. If you look at the intake manifold where the pcv valve used to be i just have a rubber plug blocking it off(for now). I have the line from the front of the valve cover on the passenger side still hooked up to the TB and just plugged the rear passenger valve breather with a 5/16 rubber plug. Then I put a pcv valve in the driver side valve cover and plugged it as well.

What your saying is I could run ur catch can kit, which was my intention from the beginning and just run the pcv valve on the manifold again. Then the line from the manifold goes to the catch can and from the can to the valve cover, then plug the TB port correct?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Banned

I have part of mine set up wrong according to TLewis, the intake manifold on mine is capped off with a rubber plug at the moment, I will be ordering one of there catch can kits here shortly.

TLewis would you mind taking a look at my pic again, look closely at how I have mine set up and tell me if im wrong in my set up. If you look at the intake manifold where the pcv valve used to be i just have a rubber plug blocking it off(for now). I have the line from the front of the valve cover on the passenger side still hooked up to the TB and just plugged the rear passenger valve breather with a 5/16 rubber plug. Then I put a pcv valve in the driver side valve cover and plugged it as well.

What your saying is I could run ur catch can kit, which was my intention from the beginning and just run the pcv valve on the manifold again. Then the line from the manifold goes to the catch can and from the can to the valve cover, then plug the TB port correct?
Yes, that is correct. You have the breather so that provides the filtered make up air to flush the system, just run a line from your PCV valve to the catch can inlet (the top fitting on ours) and then from the outlet to the manifold vac fitting (that is capped off). Then eliminate the hose to the TB and cap both fittings. Then you will have fresh filtered air enter the breathere , flow through your rockers & down the pass side push-rod valley, through the crankcase, up the drivers side push-rod valley, around the rockers, out the internal baffel in the valve cover, through the PCV valve you have there, to the catch can inlet, oil is seperated & trapped in the can, out the side fitting (integrated check valve) out to the vac fitting on your intake snout & you effectivly flush out the harmful gasses, prevent any oil into the TB from back-flow, and at high RPM's the breather allows venting of excess crankcase pressure.

Quick Reply: Oil in Throttle Body