New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what should i do? (non-ls1 question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i do? (non-ls1 question)

so i have a daily driver that is a 1991 corolla. it is an automatic and i have had it for 2.5 years. it's been excellent up until about 6 weeks ago when the tranny started slipping. within that 6 weeks the car has gotten close to undriveable, unless the engine/tranny is cold; once it warms up to operating temp the slipping is so bad that most of the time it won't catch into any gear at all. i tried some lucas oil tranny fix but that did nothing. fluid is fine. the problem is either the torque converter or the syncs are out, but i don't understand why it only does it when warm (and why it fucked up so fast without any warning). when it's cool it shifts perfectly.

anyway, i am pretty sure the car is not worth what it would cost to fix the tranny. i thought about the possibility of finding a tranny at a junk yard and switching it myself. but not only is that a lot of stupid work, who knows what kind of tranny i would get from a junk yard? might be out in 3 months and i'm back in the same spot again.

my thoughts, at least the most practical ones i have, were to sell the car as is and hope someone that knows transmissions would want to buy it for really cheap. do you think anyone would buy it? either that or just have a junk yard take it away for a very silly price i'm sure. i just don't know.

please let me know your advice. thanks.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

This is an LS1 tech section.

Sorry,