Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaned my MAF

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaned my MAF

So i decided to clean my MAF today as i had never looked at it before...I used the CRC Electronics cleaner from autozone...Took the lid and MAF off...Holy freaking GOD...my MAF looked like a dirty pool filter, there was so much **** stuck to it. Crumbs, bug wings, etc. I sprayed the **** outta that bitch with the cleaner and let it air dry for over two hours to make sure I wouldn't fry anything. I tightened everything back up and started my car. It idle a lot smoother, and when i gave a couple quick revs, no popping or cackling on the way back down (i have no muffler as well). I took it out for a spin and laid down two nice patches of rubber when I gunned it. I thought I had a slipping trans because sometime when i would cruise off of a stop light, the RPMs would hesitate to climb and then just shoot up, or my tranny would want to hold at 4000 before shifting. Apparently the airflow was just that fucked up and it was throwing everything off. My car feels much better. I know there was no power gain, but the car runs a lot smoother and just feels overall better now. Just thought I'd share...
Old 05-21-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Old 05-21-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

now get a ported tb for even better response
Old 05-21-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

yea, next on my list is !CATS, ported t/b, and LS6 intake...then rims and some suspenson...LTs and true duals are gonna wait until winter/spring...
Old 05-21-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

oh, and a stall for sure...
Old 05-22-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

car pulls a lot harder on the top end as well...its amazing what restoring the proper airflow can do for these cars.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

Did you take it apart or spray through the screen?
I took mine apart, looked like someone ran diesel exhaust through it.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

i just did the basic spray the **** out of the screen and cotton swab it. this was my first time doing it, so i figured i'd go the easy route. what did u take apart? i just pulled the maf off the car and sprayed it. What else did u do?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Launching!

The question you should be asking is WTF is going on with your air filter that's letting all that through. I cleaned my MAF for the first time at 80k miles and all it had was one small tuft of filter material on the screen and a fine layer of gray powder dust.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

haha, i bought the car with 81k, now it has 85. I'm the second owner. The first guy took good care of it, but he wasn't a car buff. When I bought the car, the lid wasn't sealing right, and then I fixed that, but completely forgot to look at the MAF. I'm sure thats where all the **** came from. Filter does fine, I hate K&N, but I don't feel like paying for another filter anyways. I am probably gonna do this every 5-10k, just to keep **** in good running order until I go with a new LSx motor and probably tune for speed density...
Old 05-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
i just did the basic spray the **** out of the screen and cotton swab it. this was my first time doing it, so i figured i'd go the easy route. what did u take apart? i just pulled the maf off the car and sprayed it. What else did u do?
I took the four screws out and removed the sensor from the housing. The air hits it on the screen side and you can't get to that side very well with it together. Not usually a problem if it's not that bad.

Originally Posted by Luder[PAK9]
The question you should be asking is WTF is going on with your air filter that's letting all that through.
I don't know, it was an 81,000 mile junkyard engine. The MAF was laying loose so I don't know if it came off that engine originally or what.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
yea, next on my list is !CATS, ported t/b, and LS6 intake...then rims and some suspenson...LTs and true duals are gonna wait until winter/spring...
do you have manifolds? if so you'll have to put the muffler back on because they need backpressure.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pretyflywiteguy
do you have manifolds? if so you'll have to put the muffler back on because they need backpressure.
yea, i'm running stock manifolds for now...i still have the resonator and what not, it just dumps at the rear, no tips or rear muffler, its basically a ghetto version of the loudmouth using the stock piping and stock resonator...
Old 05-22-2008, 03:12 PM

When you charge your k&n again, go easy on the oil. if there's too much oil on the filter, it gets pulled through the maf and coats the sensor and will act like glue to dirt and everything else. In fact, gm will not work on a lot of cars with k&n or aftermarket oiled air filters for this reason.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

yea, i hear what ur saying...i need to pick up an amsoil filter or something...i hate this oiling bs...