New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes my passenger side headlight won't pop up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sometimes my passenger side headlight won't pop up?

Once in awhile my pass. side headlight won't pop-up when I start it at night (only when the lights c'mon by themselves). If I turn the switch off and on again it won't turn them off (cuz it's dark out) so i have to shut the car off and on again. Then they will BOTH come up. Or I sometimes try just turning the ign. on and then off and on again. That seemed to work too. It's only happened to me a couple of times but it has me confused. I wondered if it could be from my going to high pressure car washes???, cuz I noticed that on the same side my blinker light is always full of condensation and it eventually blew (recently). When I replaced the bulb, I noticed that it was wet and water poured out of the housing once removed the bulb from it.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

My car does the same thing.....passenger light gets stuck every once in a blue moon. I just turn my lights of then on again then it pops right up. I checked the motor and everything seems to be fine......just one of those things i guess.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Just a shot in the dark here, I've seen where the eyelid binds on the hood in rare occasions. Just somthing to check!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Launching!

theres a gear in the headlight motor and after they get some age sometimes the gear will get a little worn and will bind ocassionally when that happens the motor thinks the light is already up and cuts the power to the motor when you reset it with the ignitionit usually will move the gear enough to free it up and the light works i've heard of people taking the gear out and flipping it to the unused side since only half the gear is used to raise the light
Old 08-22-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Smile

Hmmmm. Okay, so at least i'm not alone here. It actually hasn't done it in some time so i'm sure i'm fine but if it continues i'll try to flip the gear. Thanks
Old 08-22-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00_transam_vert
Just a shot in the dark here, I've seen where the eyelid binds on the hood in rare occasions. Just somthing to check!

Bingo! Atleast for me. I have a fiberglass hood and in the summer it expands so much the light clips and won't come up. Luckily once the sun starts to set it cools off enough that I can open the lights, otherwise I have to pop the hood first.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Please read the stickies in the Firebird section, there is a huge write up on headlight issues.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah mine sometimes on the passenger side hits the bolt that is bolting on the fender... so i just had to tighten the black cover for the light a little tighter and it seemed to fix it... so you may try that also...
Old 08-23-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok will do, thanks everyone. Guess I need to utilize the "search" a little more. Not the most "forum experienced" person on here lol. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Not a problem, we all start somwhere! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Sometimes my passenger side headlight won't pop up?