Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the site, tell me what u all think

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the site, tell me what u all think

whats goin on everyone? I currently own a 1999 Pewter t/a with 103000 miles and i was going to trade her in on a GTO or something of the sort untill i found out that my car was worth about 5k sooo i have a wild hair about just fixin her up with a 3500 budget or so. here is what im thinking, all input is welcome, except to buy a mustang

Torq Thrust M's 9x17 front (because the 8x17 are on hellacous backorder) and 10.5x17 on the back

Eibach Lowering Springs
Drill-Slot Rotors
WS6 Hood
Blackbird style black graphics on hood
Headers w/cutouts (future engine mods to make her lope etc.)

Think that would be a good starter? I know that does not add up to 3500$ but i will have to have the front bumper repainted because it is spiderweb cracked and the hood of course and my fog lamps are trashed and some other curb damage. I have a Vollant intake, programer, and Flowmaster exhaust and a few other things on it right now. Just needin a little input, i think i have found the best prices for the stuff.

Last edited by Transam1; 09-22-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Transam1
whats goin on everyone? I currently own a 1999 Pewter t/a with 103000 miles and i was going to trade her in on a GTO or something of the sort untill i found out that my car was worth about 5k sooo i have a wild hair about just fixin her up with a 35000 budget or so. here is what im thinking, all input is welcome, except to buy a mustang

Torq Thrust M's 9x17 front (because the 8x17 are on hellacous backorder) and 10.5x17 on the back

Eibach Lowering Springs
Drill-Slot Rotors
WS6 Hood

Think that would be a good starter? I know that does not add up to 3500$ but i will have to have the front bumper repainted because it is spiderweb cracked and the hood of course and my fog lamps are trashed and some other curb damage. I have a Vollant intake, programer, and Flowmaster exhaust and a few other things on it right now. Just needin a little input, i think i have found the best prices for the stuff.
Wait wait wait... at first you said $35000 budget and made me think holy hell!! If I had 35 G's layin around and 5k trade in i'd get myself a slightly used Vette.

So is it 35000 or 3500?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Sorry, my bad 3500 budget
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

pics of ur pewter car first!!!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

i whould start off with exhaust first, who cares about a hood etc....power first then looks.....and i whould startby getting rid of ur flowmaster
Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Launching!

the flowmaster is decent, not too loud that why i want the cutouts. Yes i know, 2 cutouts right after the headers=0 back pressure but its for sound only right now, after engine mods they might, just maybe help. I dont have any pics but it is a basic ten year old paint job with normal ware and tare, nothing is "flawless" and i cant do engine mods yet, still payin for that sr22 insurance ide rather go for her stance/appeal right now and next summer pull the engine.

Last edited by Transam1; 09-23-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

whats goin on everyone? I currently own a 1999 Pewter t/a with 103000 miles and i was going to trade her in on a GTO or something of the sort untill i found out that my car was worth about 5k sooo i have a wild hair about just fixin her up with a 3500 budget or so. here is what im thinking, all input is welcome, except to buy a mustang

Eibach Lowering Springs
Drill-Slot Rotors
WS6 Hood

Forget the Eibach springs. Do a search in the suspension forum, the Prokit is known for rear spring sag, and not so great ride quality or handling(see spring rate).
If you are looking to improve handling and ride quality you need quality shocks. Pick up a set of Koni SA's and you wont believe you are driving the same car, its like a BMW.
Next, the cross drilled and slotted rotors are an appearance mod only. I'm not going to get into an argument, this is another thing you can search for(pads these days don't release gasses like the ones before, so the holes don't "vent" anything). Blank rotors and good pads (something like brembo blanks and hawk pads) are a great combo for stopping power and wont crack like drilled rotors are known for.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2 on the Eibachs and Koni.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Launching!

SO just the shocks? no springs? will it lower my ride highth a little? i hate the huge gap between the finder and tire on the back
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

SO just the shocks? no springs? will it lower my ride highth a little? i hate the huge gap between the finder and tire on the back
Springs are not necessary for better handling, but definitely help. The biggest problem with our cars is the stock shocks, they struggle to even damper the stock springs (floaty, sloppy, disconnected feeling, snap over steer, etc).
You can lower the front 3/4" using the lower perch on the shock, and use the "heater hose mod" (search) in the rear for about a 1/2" to 3/4" drop.

If you want springs look into a set of Strano springs, they are specifically made by Sam Strano(stranoparts.com) for auto-x and he has multiple SCCA wins, so that speak for itself. They will give a consistent 1.2" drop and are actually lighter than the stock springs. If he is currently out of springs give him a call and he will suggest a different brand to meet your needs.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3500 =
ls6 intake
headers/exhaust
cam
tune
strano/koni
=
Old 09-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Launching!

ok i have priced the Koni shocks and they are very expensive so what do you all know about the Bilstein shocks? I am going to get the Strano springs though, decided to drop the eibach ones.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok i have priced the Koni shocks and they are very expensive so what do you all know about the Bilstein shocks? I am going to get the Strano springs though, decided to drop the eibach ones.
When it comes to shocks, you get what you pay for, and not just in quality, performance as well.
Strano will tell you the same thing, Bilstiens are not valved for lowering springs, and will leave you with a lot to be desired. The Konis are worth every penny, trust me. They come with a lifetime warranty (unlike other shocks) and adjust rebound with a fixed compression (again, unlike any other shock under the price of the Konis).
I did my suspension mods one at a time, and I would much rather have good shocks on stock springs than mediocre shocks on good lowering springs, especially since you are going with bigger, heavier wheels and tires.
Shocks = control, ride quality, feel, and balance.
Go with this kit, you will be amazed in the difference:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=7
Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

i wouldnt buy new aftermarket wheels.

i say for 3500 put in a cam kit, stout converter, and used 12bolt with a tune
Old 09-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

ok for you people that suggest putting a cam in and other engine mods what is the best or only way to pull the engine or get it at an angle where i can work on the damn thing? does it come out of the bottom easier or out that top? Oh, and for the koni shocks... what setttings should i run on them? with the springs.