Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing tuner help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default timing tuner help

did some searching and no real clear answer. ive been having some issues with trying to set up my timing tuner on my car. i have read the directions prob over a hundred times and still no results. i can get the green led on when the car is running and i have done some dry test and i can get the red led to come on when the n20 is supposed to be spraying. when i go to do the set up i dont get the red blinking led for the few seconds it said it should do in the instructions? anybody have any good hands on with one of these?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:52 PM
FormerVendor

Dont worry about it. Its a known issue that they don't blink during the set up process. If you have any questions shoot me over a PM. Thanks.

Nick
Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine like that but was weiry about it working or not due to not seeing the red light. I hooked it up to the actiavtion switch so I could check while the car is not moving. So, that was good enoug for me as when I arm it, it gets sprayed shortly there after.
Are you running that by itself or with a window switch?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

no im using a msd digi window switch with a lean switch. so would i just go though the setup and just skip over the part about the red led? how do i know that its pulling the timing i want to pull.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=racerx17x;10349218]no im using a msd digi window switch with a lean switch. so would i just go though the setup and just skip over the part about the red led? how do i know that its pulling the timing i want to pull.[/QUOTE]

That was my question all along.. You cant is what Full Throttle told me. Oh wait, they did say to hard wire a red LED in the dash and wire it to the red LED in the box. I said, um no.

Using EFILIVE wont show it (have not tried it, just what I have heard) as it tricks the signal and wont show up being pulled if your logging...
I was going to get some dyno time and just take the bottle out and cap the fuel side and see if power goes away when you retard the full timing on the thing (9* I think is max, I dont remember).
But, i ran out of time and just used EFILIVE to upload and change timing and be 100% that timing was being pulled.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

so i guess as long as i have the rtd set to -6 degrees (150 shot) and have the red led lite on when im spraying then its working correctly?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Thats what they say.. Of coarse, you have it hooked up to the "acctivation" on the noids you wont see it as youll be in the car..
I hooked it up to the arming swtich and simple turned the car on then armed it and I made sure it came on while under the hood.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

That just doesn’t give the best feeling that it's really working and if it is how would you know when or if it goes bad and stops pulling timing out.... I guess when your rebuilding the motor... what about MSD's timing twister with the rotary dials?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1969mach1
That just doesn’t give the best feeling that it's really working and if it is how would you know when or if it goes bad and stops pulling timing out.... I guess when your rebuilding the motor... what about MSD's timing twister with the rotary dials?
I had a meltdown at the begining of the season.. So, I suspected the timing tuner and the nano system not working properly. So, ever since then (which I got luck the motor was damaged) I have pulled timing via EFILIVE that way its for certain.

I have heard of some other way to pull timing via arming switch.. It has to do something with pinning something in the computer harness or something like that. The car is in storage for the winter so I have all winter to read up on it. At leat that way I can verify its pulling timing.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by racerx17x
no im using a msd digi window switch with a lean switch. so would i just go though the setup and just skip over the part about the red led? how do i know that its pulling the timing i want to pull.
That's the only downside to some of the timing devices on the market today. You just can't see the timing being pulled with a scan tool. The only way to verify is with a timing light and a marked pulley. I personally have never seen a timing tuner fail.

Nick