Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm glad I went dry....

Old 11-09-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm glad I went dry....

First off, the last thing I'm trying to do is start another wet vs. dry thread. In my last outing at the track, 1st gear sounded and felt solid(Besides traction) and second the same. Upon shifting into third the car started missing out and popping/stuttering. I'm thinking the worst (Most of us have been there). Pullin into the pits the cars missing bad and sounding like **** so I figured just load it up on the trailer, drink 10 or 20 beers, and drown my sorrow. I popped the hood just taking a look around. Checked all the plug wires since that day I replaced the plugs thinking one worked its way loose. Everything looked good. Took out the infared thermometer and located a colder primary on #6. Rechecked the plug wire. Not it. Before closing the hood I went over the injectors and guess what.... #6 came unplugged! Plugged it back in and recliped it. Everythings fine! So I was thinking, if I'd be runnin wet this would more than likely smoke #6. Even on the bottle, no fuel being dry, no combustion at all. Anyone else out there claim victim to this?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With dry don't you need the fuel injector to add the extra fuel needed? So with no fuel in #6, but still adding nitrous wouldn't you have a crazy lean spike in #6? If everything is ok I would say you are one lucky sob. I might even consider safety wiring those connectors on so that doesn't happen again.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

not an issue....putting nitrous though the cyl with no fuel does nothing...it does not burn so it is not lean Might bump the egt up a tad.....
Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought nitrous breaks down into nitrogen and pure oxygen? Since pure oxygen is flammable doesn't wouldn't that cause some sort of combustion?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:56 AM
9 Second Club

I had something similar with the old 5176 dry kit that I had a long time ago.... Plunger would get stuck in the little blue fuel pressure regulator deal between the solenoids and wouldn't increase fuel pressure at all...

car would just stumble and not accelerate..... it was self correcting.... worst problem you can have is ONE cylinder getting lean but the other 7 masking it's lean by continuing the pull under power...... It'll melt that cylinder down and you'll never know it...

There are definite advantages to a dry system...
Old 11-14-2008, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TurboAv
I thought nitrous breaks down into nitrogen and pure oxygen? Since pure oxygen is flammable doesn't wouldn't that cause some sort of combustion?
N2O breaks down into nitrogen and oxygen at high temperatures. I want to say somewhere around 550F to 600F.

In this case, since there was no fuel being injected into the cylinder you wouldn't be able to reach the required temps for this breakdown to occur.

Brian

Search this Thread