Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solenoid failures?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solenoid failures?

Who has had a nitrous solenoid stick open on them? What was the brand? I'm looking at buying a used kit and am worried about the "off brand" solenoid causing an engine failure.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

most of the noids are the same just re-badged, and rebuild kits are cheap, good insurance especially if you are buying used noids
Old 12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a NOS super shot solenoid stick open due to electrical, and one Dynotune purge noid that stuck just a tad open due to moisture getting down my purge line. Mostly you will find issue with the small noids not opening due to excessive pressure and/or heat. Make sure you use a good nitrous filter at the bottle, and a screened solenoid fitting at the solenoid itself. really the filter itself should be at the solenoid and no screened fitting, but most put the filter at the bottle area. that leaves debris from the line itself. Really that's the only way a nitrous noid will stick open, debris. Get good quality large solenoids and should be fine.
Robert
Old 12-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Launching!

is it advisable to use two nitrous solenoids for safety reasons, then?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brickonwheels
is it advisable to use two nitrous solenoids for safety reasons, then?
Yes and no. The 5177 was the first kit to do the redundant noids, but they did so because at that time the plunger seal material was not great and they could leak after a period of time. Todays solenoids have a better seal material so they don't crack and break apart like noids of past. Now with that said, the second reason for going redundant is pure safety. The only real issue and potential problems running a dry kit is the sticking open solenoid. When the noid sticks open this can lead to a lean condition and possible engine damage.

To minimize if not eliminate that problem run a good filter. My self, on my direct port dry set-up, even though I run big powerful quality noids one per bank, I am still thinking about adding one 700hp noid at the "T" that feeds each side. That way should one noid fail, the back up noid will still shut the system down and save the engine.

The thing we have to be careful about running redundant solenoids is making sure that they have a orifice size capable of supporting the size N2O hit sought. Here's an example, the 5177 with redundant noids is limited to about a 135rwhp shot due to accumulative orifice restriction. If you take one noid out of the picture then you can do like a 175rwhp shot. So back to back noids can be restrictive according to orifice size.
Robert
Old 12-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Launching!

So if I were to run two dynotune or hsw noids together, could I still run 100-150 hp shots through them?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

So if I were to run two dynotune or hsw noids together, could I still run 100-150 hp shots through them?
I do not know of anyone running 2 of our solonoids in line though it could be done and I am sure there are some customers out there doing it. Yes you would see a restriction as noted above.

To the point above a filter is key - with any solenoid if you get debris in it it can stick so a filter is always recommended. Also make sure where you get your bottle filled has a filter on their setup as well. Going on our 9th year in busy with thousands of solenoids out there we feel our solenoid's record stands on its own.

I would go with what evilbeef said - if they are used a rebuild is cheap insurance. Do it for sure!

Dean

Dean
Old 12-17-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Depends on orifice size. The small PowerShot noids had like a .078 orifice and that in singular could support approx 175hp, but only approx 135hp with the nitrous running through back to back .078s. So the size would be dependant on orifice size. You could figure the math equation out with the numbers above. I would do it for you but am real busy these days, sorry.
Robert
Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
I would do it for you but am real busy these days, sorry.
Robert
don't lie, besides yo know u never sleep anyway
Old 12-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I ran a 125RWHP shot through two HSW's .078's in series. My nitrous filter decreased my shot by about 25RWHP on the same jet though.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JoeMama's GTO
I ran a 125RWHP shot through two HSW's .078's in series. My nitrous filter decreased my shot by about 25RWHP on the same jet though.
yes the same thing happens as we add 90° fittings, filters, "Y" blocks and so on.
Robert
Old 12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Had a used NOS fuel solenoid stick open... started spraying fuel as soon as we turned the key forward..

Quick Reply: Solenoid failures?