Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever use a Top Shot? **Carb guys only**

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever use a Top Shot? **Carb guys only**

Like the title says, This would apply to the carbed guys only. I was looking for a back-up unit since all 3 intake manifolds for a carbed application make it hard to hide a spare unit underneath the manifold itself.

Does anyone have experience with the Top Shot setup? Is it effective/easy to conceal? Max I would spray through it is 75-100. I have heard that it is a weak hit, can anyone shed any light on this rumor?

I will have a primary plate unit for the use the majority of the time. But if i have to "pull" the bottle i'd like to have a back-up at the ready. This will be on a carbed H/C LQ4 & TH400 in a 63' nova FWIW.

Would there be any other way to do a 2nd hidden unit on a carbed LS1? If you would rather PM me than put it out in public that would be awesome too.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

other than installing the kit you mentioned... i dont see any true hidden options other that i fyou nanaged to hide a direct port setup either under some tall valvecovers, or in the valley... (if you are cood with a tube bender it should be possible to avoid hitting the rockers or pushrods....) soft plume nossles arent directional... and it will hit soft as the system will be hotter than hell.. but it could be hidden
Old 12-31-2008, 02:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are wanting a hidden kit why not just do a spray bar? You could put a rubber hose over the line in the front and it would just look like a vacuum line.

The top shots are hidden pretty well but in an F body we don't have a lot of room for an air cleaner.

I think a spray bar is your best bet if you are wanting to hide it.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Car will be a 63' nova carbed LQ4 as stated in the end of the post. Will a spray bar fit in a edelbrock performer RPM or Vic Jr.? And would it distribute evenly inside the manifold if used?
Old 12-31-2008, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club

Sorry, I didn't see that!

Yes, a spray bar will fit either of those and will provide better dist. than a top shot will. It's basically like a plate kit built into your manifold. I'm sure if you do a search you can find some pics on some of the sponsors sites. I know Nitrous Outlet has some.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

NICE!! I'll have to check that out. thanks man.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also vote for the spray bar.
It will be some work to do it right, but worth the trouble.

I recommend against top shot. Carburetors do not like things spraying down on top of them. It could easily interfere with the operation of the air bleeds which will change your tune significantly and very likely cause stumbling and/or misfires as well. You could position it to make it work, but the spray bar in the manifold is by far the best way to go.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

This is the only pic i have been able to find. It will be WAY too obvious for the dudes out on the street to find.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:45 AM
9 Second Club

You are saying that they would notice it? Even if you covered the line in the front with a black hose? It would look like a vacuum line if you did that. Well, to most people anyway.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone that would race for money would spot that a mile away.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ im with him, it's too obvious that there are two lines going into the manifold. i have seen the top hidden so well you wouldn't it was unless you pulled the whole air cleaner
Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce_454
other than installing the kit you mentioned... i dont see any true hidden options other that i fyou nanaged to hide a direct port setup either under some tall valvecovers, or in the valley... (if you are cood with a tube bender it should be possible to avoid hitting the rockers or pushrods....) soft plume nossles arent directional... and it will hit soft as the system will be hotter than hell.. but it could be hidden
Now there's an idea. Direct port nozzles plumbed right in the the intake runners on the heads. The cylinder head companies could even start casting the passages into the head itself. Just have some ports on the back side of the heads to tap onto.

It might take some time if you wanted to change jet size but just thing of the money you could make on the streets.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:55 PM
FormerVendor

I ran it in my 75 camaro hidden. Seems like the only time I tried it at the track I got about 9 MPH out of the 150. That was back when you needed a cage at 11.99 and that pass got me booted.

This was the car back in 94-95
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...=1&carid=10932
Old 01-03-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Nice!
I was looking at the valley idea because i wont be using the knock sensors. There might be room, only question is how to mount the nozzles to spray into the runners. I was thinking directly through the bottom and drill into the bottom of each runner and use a o-ring to seal each one.
I can go old school and drill/tap the the rear of the block for the main/fuel lines.

Something like this but under the valley cover with the nozzles mounted under the cover as well and the tips sticking through the cover and into the runners.

Last edited by djsanchez2; 01-03-2009 at 09:06 PM.