Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Hints And Tips On Nitrous Install.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need Hints And Tips On Nitrous Install.

I have done a lot of searching, reading and reviewing on nitrous but I still have some questions about installing my nitrous kit. This is what I will be installing; Harris Speed Works Sudden Impact 78mm wet plate kit, All Out Accessory kit, billet bottle bracket and ashtray switch plate. It will be going into a 6 speed 01 Camaro.

Here are some of the questions I have:

1: I am running an Innovate LC-1 wideband with the XD-1 gauge. The instructions on the HSW Microedge controller says to hook up the orange wire to the wideband 02 sensor/system. Which wire on the LC-1 would this be; the yellow or brown one? Here is a link to the Innovate instructions, it has 7 stripped ends. Page 2 has the wiring instructions.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...C-1_Manual.pdf

2: There's a couple of 12v sources that are needed for the various parts, what are some common sources? Do you splice them or use an Add-A-Circuit? Also, when it says to connect to the battery are you guys connecting the wire/s directly to the battery using eyelets?

3: Where did you mount your relays? In the car, under the hood?

4: What is this piece? It came with the Sudden Impact kit but is not listed in the inventory.

I think that's it for now. I greatly appreciate any input, hints, tip and/or pictures!!

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Either analog out will work, just make sure you tape up the one you dont use.

2. Lots of guys use the TCS relay for the 12v souce, on most GM vehicles PINK wires are switched 12v and RED are constant. There is a 12awg wire under the steering wheel you can jump off of as well.

If you are running something soley of the source it would probably be smart to run a fuse end on the item from the 12v.

3. Mount your relays anywhere, it really is your preferance. fwiw, i have my 5 relays in my center console.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the piece in your picture is the seal for your bottle nut. you have put it in between the bottle nut and main bottle feed opening to keep it from leaking when your bottle is open.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Yellow or Brown wire will work for the Wideband and the HSW unit (these are your programable Analog outs). Be sure to program the LC-1 Analog 1 and Analog 2 Outputs correctly to match the gauge and the HSW unit as needed.

Last edited by Beer99C5; 01-07-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
the piece in your picture is the seal for your bottle nut. you have put it in between the bottle nut and main bottle feed opening to keep it from leaking when your bottle is open.
I guessed that it was that.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

the pic is the teflon ring that goes between the outlet and the nut
Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

It looks like everyone got you answers. One thing I will add is this...keep the relays or any other electronics and connectors out of the way of any potential rain. A few years back we took the black t/a on power tour and hit a monsoon going through Roanoke VA. The semi trucks kept pelting the car with massive amounts of water which took out the relay for the electric water pump. Needless to say it wasn't a fun night.

Nick
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice Nick! The car isn't driven in the rain but just incase I get caught that's good to know.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
It looks like everyone got you answers. One thing I will add is this...keep the relays or any other electronics and connectors out of the way of any potential rain. A few years back we took the black t/a on power tour and hit a monsoon going through Roanoke VA. The semi trucks kept pelting the car with massive amounts of water which took out the relay for the electric water pump. Needless to say it wasn't a fun night.

Nick
That trip did suck...nothing like waking up bright and early to head over to pep boys after spending the night in a run down hotel AND fixing the abs wires after the tow truck guy let the car free roll off the back of the tow truck. Fun times...
Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a couple more questions I forgot to ask:

It says in the instructions that I will need a smooth bellow. Can I use a Fernco/DIY bellow? I never really looked into buying one until now and they're all around $50!!

What gauge wire should I use; 10-12?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Here is an unsoliticted wiring tip, Y connect the wires for your switch panel. Most of the components are low amp and can be run off one 12 V source...

Above the Pos is the red, you can see the "Y" Black naturally is Neg.

On that one 12v connection (25 Amp Fused)
Opener
Stage one Arm (to relay)
Stage two Arm (to relay)
Heater (to relay)
Purge (to relay)
LC1 Power
Gauge power

Last edited by Beer99C5; 01-08-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the tip and pictures Beer! So I should be able to run my purge, heater and arm switch off the same 12v source and ground?

Where can I get those y-connectors, Auto Zone? I've never used them before.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

They are crimp connectors (I crimped and the soldered them), then shrink wrapped at the crimp/solder point.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Grifter
Here's a couple more questions I forgot to ask:

It says in the instructions that I will need a smooth bellow. Can I use a Fernco/DIY bellow? I never really looked into buying one until now and they're all around $50!!

What gauge wire should I use; 10-12?
Yup, any smooth bellow will work. A few guys have gotten the stock bellow to work, but in my opinion its much easier to do a smooth bellow.

Wire depends on where in the system its going.

Nick
Old 01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW

Nick

is there any way to seal a relay from this happening...