Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Manifold/TB

Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Manifold/TB

I was wondering what would be the BEST Set-up for a manifold and Throttle body on a nitrous drag car. The Car is a solid roller, 2 stage set-up (possible 3) The car is in the works and I am getting closer to needing to think of an engine. I have been throwing some ideas around but Im not sure what the best route would be. I was looking into a beck sheetmetal but wasnt sure if using a plate system on that wouldnt be the best for nitrous use. The other option I saw was these two products.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I thought they would pair up nicely. Im not concerned about clearnace for I would be getting a large cowl hood and will cut whatever I need so it will fit.
Thanks a lot guys, if you think something else would be better let me know.

cubes will range from 408-454 havent decided on the short block. Advice for either set-up would be appreciated if any different.

Joe
Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

IF you are looking at doing the Super Vic i'd think about using this intake instead
https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...victor-jr.html

-Chris
Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1999TransamWs6
I was wondering what would be the BEST Set-up for a manifold and Throttle body on a nitrous drag car. The Car is a solid roller, 2 stage set-up (possible 3) The car is in the works and I am getting closer to needing to think of an engine. I have been throwing some ideas around but Im not sure what the best route would be. I was looking into a beck sheetmetal but wasnt sure if using a plate system on that wouldnt be the best for nitrous use. The other option I saw was these two products.
I thought they would pair up nicely. Im not concerned about clearnace for I would be getting a large cowl hood and will cut whatever I need so it will fit.
Thanks a lot guys, if you think something else would be better let me know.

cubes will range from 408-454 havent decided on the short block. Advice for either set-up would be appreciated if any different.

Joe
Hey Joe, First i would decide on what size motor and which heads you are going to go with. These will obviously dictate which manifold you go with. A well ported super victor is a great intake and will flow just about all you need. Depending on which plate kit you have, it may not be usuable in your new setup. Since clearance isnt an issue you might want to go with a 4500 flange carb plate. Sounds like you are building a fairly serious motor so direct port would also be an ideal setup. The sheetmetal intakes are great and you would be able to use your plate kit with it. Personally, i would go with the super vic or the performance inductions intake first. This would also leave you with a lot of left over cash for a DP system.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys. I do have a set of heads and a Direct port set-up already. The heads are ET 235cc heads flow 360 @ .700 cathedral style. I will likely be going 408 untill some of these guys come out with all the new 6 bolt blocks and then ill upgrade, just want to get back out and race, car has been down 3 years
Old 01-14-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

ive got a beck with a nitrous outlet direct port plummed into it. its not teh most cost effective route, but it is one badass setup!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by firefighting1101
ive got a beck with a nitrous outlet direct port plummed into it. its not teh most cost effective route, but it is one badass setup!
Thats my only beef with the sheet metal intakes, the sheer cost is so high. Like i said, a well ported victor can go a long *** way.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
A well ported super victor is a great intake and will flow just about all you need. Personally, i would go with the super vic or the performance inductions intake first.
Hey dude, curious, has there been any comparisons of the super vic to a gmpp single plane, i'm curious if I would gain anything swapping from my gmpp to a super vic, I haven't been able to find anything about the super vic though and just curious.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:25 PM
FormerVendor

ive never personally seen or done one. On your car i bet there would be some power to pick up. Is your GMPP ported at all?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

ive never personally seen or done one. On your car i bet there would be some power to pick up. Is your GMPP ported at all?
Just port matched to the heads, the runners were already slightly larger than the runners on my heads out of the box, so just had to make the top half of the cathedral port, it almost seemed like I got an ls3 intake, was missing the top half of the cathedral on the ports, so he made everything match up and the part # was right for the cathedral port intake, so maybe that's just how they come, dunno.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

When did you get yours...I know there were problems with the early runner designs of the Vic Jr. and they were a bitch to match up, maybe it was the same case with the GMPP. I am pretty sure they have been corrected. My vic was fairly close out of the box and i had TEA port match them to my heads, no problems for what i saw
Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

When did you get yours...I know there were problems with the early runner designs of the Vic Jr. and they were a bitch to match up, maybe it was the same case with the GMPP. I am pretty sure they have been corrected. My vic was fairly close out of the box and i had TEA port match them to my heads, no problems for what i saw
Last year some time.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe,
There are many options to choose from. On thing to concider is how high are you going to be twisting this thing. Are you going hydraulic or solid roller? Is it a race car only or street race?

The ported fast can go along ways. In the event you only need a little more flow up top the victor jr may be what you are looking for. With the Victor JR there are many options nitrous wise. We can plumb custom flowed spray bars into the intake flange. This will save you the 3/4 inch spacing from running a plate. I know you said you are not worried about cowl clearence so if you are not the NX and ZEx plate have worked great for me on those intakes.

If you need quite a bit more flow the becks are very popular. We actually build a custom plate that goes between the upper and lower plenum. This plate distributes into each intake runner.

Ofcourse directporting any of these are an option as well.

If I can be of any advice or help let me know. I have alot of experience in this area.
Dave
Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1999TransamWs6
Thanks guys. I do have a set of heads and a Direct port set-up already. The heads are ET 235cc heads flow 360 @ .700 cathedral style. I will likely be going 408 untill some of these guys come out with all the new 6 bolt blocks and then ill upgrade, just want to get back out and race, car has been down 3 years
Looks like you're headed in the right direction. Keep the direct port since you already have it. That's honestly going to be your best ticket. If for whatever reason you're going to have to ditch the direct port, stick with a plate. Gain as much of that plenum volume as you can which will also keep the nitrous/fuel up off the floor of the intake and allow it to distribute.

The intake elbow is the biggest flaw IMO with the carb style intakes. If you can eliminate it then by all means do so and I think it will fullfill your needs very well.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks, Im going to continue my research and see what I come up with. I will keep in touch.

Joe
Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

dont mean to hijack the thread but whats your guys recommendations on a 4150 style throttle body and direct port on a super vic. will the 4150 tb be enough? im a carb guy going fuel injected so im not really sure.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HELLBENTfabrication
dont mean to hijack the thread but whats your guys recommendations on a 4150 style throttle body and direct port on a super vic. will the 4150 tb be enough? im a carb guy going fuel injected so im not really sure.
Thats one of the more common setups we do. Accufab 4150 throttle body and a port super vic is a great combo. Shoot me a pm with more information on your setup and we can discuss it in detail

Search this Thread