Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual stage- window vs. progressive

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual stage- window vs. progressive

I am in the process of setting up the system on my car wanting to probably spray a 50-75 out of the hole then come in with another 150-200. I cant make up my mind between a straight up dual window switch or some type of progressive style box to run the stages. I kinda like the Granatelli GM-DWS100 seems fairly cost effective for a dual stage on a window setup, but I cant really make a decision on what progressive controller I would run if I went that route. I notice that a lot of people are running the micro-edge but I am not really sure I could benefit from all of its functions. My car is tuned speed density and runs no MAF or 02's. I would kinda like to have the AF safety feature it offers though I am not sure what would have to be reinstalled in order for it to work. I guess the easy part is done got all the NOS parts I can handle now I just need some suggestions on how to make it all work well together.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

here are the features of our Microedge controller...lots of bang for the buck with this unit. I personally perfer running multiple stages then using a progressive controller.

RPM Window Switch – Only operates the nitrous system within a set “window” of RPM.

TPS Activation Switch – Only operates the nitrous system at (WOT) wide open throttle.

Dual Stage Control – Allows for the use of multiple nitrous kits to be run off of one (1) window switch. IE; multiple stages which can be used with different RPM & TPS values.

A/F Shut Down Switch – Nitrous system(s) will shut down if a lean condition is detected by either a wideband O2 sensor or narrowband O2 sensor. The MicroEdge will also shut down the system if an overly rich A/F is detected (wideband sensor only).

Lean Out Delay - The MicroEdge controller can be programmed to not shut down the nitrous system for a determined amount of time if a lean condition is detected. Great feature for those small lean spikes upon kit activation. This feature can be adjusted up to 10 seconds in .05 second intervals.

Multi-Gear Lock-Out – Can be configured for both stages and can lock-out multiple gears to optimize traction.

Time Delays – Activation of kits can be delayed for up to 10 seconds in .05 second intervals.

Pedal Delay – Delay(s) used to re-gain traction if the system is activated and the gas pedal is let off due to wheel spin and then re-applied. This allows for momentum to be built prior to re-activating the nitrous system(s). Both stages have their own pedal delay which is adjustable up to 10 seconds in .05 second intervals.

Nitrous Solenoid Delay – Delays the nitrous solenoid from being activated for an amount of time after the kit is activated. This helps to cure any lean spike issues that are pre-existing in the system.

Display – Built in LCD display can show RPM, A/F Ratio (mV for narrowband), TPS voltage, Battery Voltage, and Arming Switch Voltage.

File System – Up to three (3) files can be saved within the MicroEdge unit for quick and easy flipping between runs.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the micro-edge would operate everything I am looking at running safely. All I would have to do is add an O2 sensor or wideband in for it to get AF readings from. Then if I wanted to do a progressive on the big shot I just add it in the system between the Micro-edge and the solenoids on that shot? What would be a good progressive setup to add onto the system?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WYATT318MOPAR
So the micro-edge would operate everything I am looking at running safely. All I would have to do is add an O2 sensor or wideband in for it to get AF readings from. Then if I wanted to do a progressive on the big shot I just add it in the system between the Micro-edge and the solenoids on that shot? What would be a good progressive setup to add onto the system?
Yes, thats correct.

You will probably find that you dont need a progressive once you break it up into stages. If you did, the FJO mini would be a good one.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are tr-8 plugs too cold for actual driving on the street? I thought a tr-6 would be plenty but my buddy seems to think I should go with 8's or equivalent. Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

TR8 should be fine on the 200+ shot. Yes, the car won't idle all that well with a TR8 on the street. I would change them out at the track, this way you will be getting an accurate A/F reading on them.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That is good to know, car wouldn't idle all that well on its own before all this so no surprises there that was on stock temp plugs. Is there an AC plug that is the same temp as a TR-8? Or maybe something between a 6-8 kind of in between that I could leave in all the time. Knowing how I am and the way I drive the possibilities of me hitting the big shot on the street are pretty good.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM
FormerVendor

No AC Delco doesn't make a plug with a heat range 8. A colder plug will foul out quicker, but its sort one of the compromises we make when going with nitrous on a dual duty car.

I have an updated spark plug list if you would like to PM me and I can give you a few options to choose from.

Nick