Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do any window switches have a built in relay for the solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do any window switches have a built in relay for the solenoids

All the window switchs I looked at say to use external relays to trigger the solenoids

Call me lazy, or maybe I just just don't want as much clutter under the hood, but there's no reason they couldn't build a relay in to the window switch box output wire so you can run it straight to the solenoids and save yourself some wiring/clutter.

Does somebody sell something like that built in?
battery->window switch->solenoids=easier wiring and less clutter.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason is your wire gauge. Solenoids can draw up to 30amp for 2 noids. The added cost of the relay and the just yuck of heavy gauge wire everywhere just do not mix.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relays are your friend! When I first wired my nitrous up, I was a bit lazy and didn't put a relay on my purge solenoid. First time testing the purge out in the garage, it blew up the switch, quite literally...it ejected the cap right off the switch (which I never found again ) and cracked the contacts inside the switch. That was with a switch that was supposed to be rated high enough to take the amps of the solenoid

Ever since then, I use relays for everything...all my solenoids (nitrous, purge, line locks, trans brake), trans cooler fan, bottle heater etc. Haven't had any problems since then. Spend the extra few minutes using relays, or you could end up fragging parts of your setup