Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re NANO: How do you know when there is no more nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re NANO: How do you know when there is no more nitrous?

Probably been covered before, but the thought popped into my head the other day and I haven't been able to come up with answer...
Old 02-07-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KingKiller
Probably been covered before, but the thought popped into my head the other day and I haven't been able to come up with answer...
you get a nitrous gauge
Old 02-07-2009, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KingKiller
You'll start getting beat by bolt-on Mustangs?
Old 02-07-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without weighing the bottle, power fall off is the only recourse. what we whom run NANO need to do is to keep track of how many passes we get per full N2O bottle. from that point on you'll always know where you are at. If you have an idea of how many passes you could make prior to NANO, just double that number for a starting point then wait till power fall off to be sure. There is a gauge, can't remember which one, that measures the volume of nitrous used and keeps track of how full that way. I think maybe Beer has that gauge in his pillar and seems like it's a Trick Performance product now that i think about it.
Robert
Old 02-07-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56
Without weighing the bottle, power fall off is the only recourse. what we whom run NANO need to do is to keep track of how many passes we get per full N2O bottle. from that point on you'll always know where you are at. If you have an idea of how many passes you could make prior to NANO, just double that number for a starting point then wait till power fall off to be sure. There is a gauge, can't remember which one, that measures the volume of nitrous used and keeps track of how full that way. I think maybe Beer has that gauge in his pillar and seems like it's a Trick Performance product now that i think about it.
Robert
Yea I figured you couldn't measure it with a pressure gauge, but the volume gauge sounds interesting...
Old 02-07-2009, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

i was going to start working on a relationship between my nano psi vs lbs of n2o but i think the nano gauge failed or is innacurate so i'm starting over from scratch again, lol
Old 02-08-2009, 12:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by evilbeef54
i was going to start working on a relationship between my nano psi vs lbs of n2o but i think the nano gauge failed or is innacurate so i'm starting over from scratch again, lol
The relationship between the two is how you can tell. Wth a full nano bottle vs. full nitrous bottle you can make a run and see how muc pressure you lose in the nano bottle. When you reach 1100 psi in the nano bottle you know the nitrous bottle is empty.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

okay thats what i thought i remembered seeing somewhere, however i started with a full n2o bottle and a 3k nano and by the time i ran out of n2o the nano gauge still read 2500 psi but the gauge on my nitrous line was reading only about 800 psi, something doesnt seem right, do you think the nano gauge is stuck or did the reg fail? im gonna refil both bottles and try this again but i'd love to know what you think or how you would suggest trouble shooting this
Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i go off the pressure gauge on the nano bottle - it acts like a nitrous volume gauge
Old 02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

soooooo..... anyone have any thoughts as to why my nano gauge was still reading 2500 but the n2o bottle was down to about a pound left and i was only getting about 800psi out of the n2o bottle, failed gauge? failed nano reg? anyone?
Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

soooooo..... anyone have any thoughts as to why my nano gauge was still reading 2500 but the n2o bottle was down to about a pound left and i was only getting about 800psi out of the n2o bottle, failed gauge? failed nano reg? anyone?
Like you said it's trouble shoting time. prior to this was it working and reading fine? is the reg on the NANO set a little low, maybe? or were you running at the proper n2o psi before this?

Brad how much does temp play in the NANO pressure? Cold out side and my full NANO bottle read about 4000/4100psi full. I was wondering if it was filled in a nice warm 75° shop, then my cold azz shop it reads lower?

I still think the best way is to figure out how many full passes we can make at our size hit, and just record this. then we will know that maybe we have a pound or two left, but not enough to make a full pass. that way we won't waste a few dollars on a pass that would fall on it's face. we just go get it toped off, and get the NANO filled at the same time.
Robert
Old 02-08-2009, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

well this was the first time i had run the nano, on the first few passes as soon as the nano was opened the nitrous came up to 1050 just right but then my performance started droping off and my ET's started really going down, when i purged there was still a little white cloud (only just bumped the purge button didnt hold it down long at all) when i checked the n2o pressure gauge it was down to about 900 and just after trying a quick purge it droped to 700, the whole time the nano gauge was still showing 2500, this is a 10lb 3000psi system, it was also fairly cold out when i was trying to make the passes (about 60-65*F)
Old 02-08-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

well this was the first time i had run the nano, on the first few passes as soon as the nano was opened the nitrous came up to 1050 just right but then my performance started droping off and my ET's started really going down, when i purged there was still a little white cloud (only just bumped the purge button didnt hold it down long at all) when i checked the n2o pressure gauge it was down to about 900 and just after trying a quick purge it droped to 700, the whole time the nano gauge was still showing 2500, this is a 10lb 3000psi system, it was also fairly cold out when i was trying to make the passes (about 60-65*F)
yea it sounds like the NANO is no longer transfering the air in to the N2O bottle and thus the low pressure. maybe start by looking for debri? Could be a faulty reg on the NANO bottle. Might even be a stuck or partialy stuck check valve not allowing the air to pass in to the n2o bottle? Any mass produced product can have a bad one every now and then; it's just a standard known issue with any mass produced product on the market; and in no way sheds a cloud up on this fine product.
Robert
Old 02-08-2009, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i just need a lil trouble shooting help figuring out what is causing the issue
Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 PM
FormerVendor

When your nitrous bottle is empty make sure the check valve is rattling. Can you shoot me a pic of the setup so i can make sure it is all in order? By looking at these two items i can better judge for you.

Robert- The nano system needs to be ran 80deg or below. The temp label is very useful for this. If it is very hot outside just throw a zip lock bag of ice on it. The reason for this is at 80 deg the nitrous trys to turn to vapor form which cancels the system out. Do realize a damp rag will keep the bottle below 80. It is much easier to keep a bottle cool than heating it.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

so the idea of the nano is to actually keep the temp of the nitrous low (liquid form), but keep the pressure high?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brad@NANO Direct
When your nitrous bottle is empty make sure the check valve is rattling. Can you shoot me a pic of the setup so i can make sure it is all in order? By looking at these two items i can better judge for you.

Robert- The nano system needs to be ran 80deg or below. The temp label is very useful for this. If it is very hot outside just throw a zip lock bag of ice on it. The reason for this is at 80 deg the nitrous trys to turn to vapor form which cancels the system out. Do realize a damp rag will keep the bottle below 80. It is much easier to keep a bottle cool than heating it.

okay here's a pic of my system, dont know what angels you need on the pics

This is the first i've heard of the nano only working below 80*F that is kinda frusterating since here in AZ that is only a few months out of the year, lol and during the summer when it is 120* out it will probab take quite a bit of work to get it down to 80*, oh well we'll see what happens
Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me it's weighing the bottle.

Honestly when this car gets Nitrous, I havent decided on whether to Nano it or not, but either way, after I am done with the Nitrous for the day, the bottle comes out and get's weighed.

Every time.

Also take note on how many times it was sprayed and you can figure out your # of runs per Bottle.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
For me it's weighing the bottle.

Honestly when this car gets Nitrous, I havent decided on whether to Nano it or not, but either way, after I am done with the Nitrous for the day, the bottle comes out and get's weighed.

Every time.

Also take note on how many times it was sprayed and you can figure out your # of runs per Bottle.
How much does weighing the bottle tell you though, if the nitrous is replaced with another gas it's going to throw the weight off, no? you would need to know how much the bottle weighs when it is full of air instead of full of nitrous, so unless the air weight significantly less than the nitrous i imagine you wouldn't really be able to tell, right?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id take the total, both being full and then start subtracting.

If I had the bottles, id do both empty, then fill, re-weigh, then start checking after every session.