Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for in nitrous tune.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to look for in nitrous tune.

I'm taking the nitrous plunge in my 400rwhp NA car.
I'm not tuning the car myself. I'm just tryingt to gain some basic info instead of shoveling out money for something that I don't have a clue about. For example. I have a tune on my car already. I have a small cam 214/230 .600/578 117. so not much seems to have been altered. Anyway. I've received 3 quotes. $125 from previous tuner, $300 from new shop, and $500 from guy that used to work at previous tuner's shop. Let's just say it leaves me hesitant and confused. Are they simply pulling timing which I hear can be achieved with a timing tuner? Are they pulling timing and adding fuel? Just wondering....
Also, I figured out that I should run TR6's. I'm using an ls1 plate kit wet from either HSW or NX.
I've read many posts and got different opinions. Some say I definitely will definitely need a Walbro 255 and upgraded injectors $500. Some say I need a stand alone fuel cell $700. Some say I don't need anything more than the kit and acc. I have the money for whatever nitrous related; but, given I'm doing this as a short term experiment with hopes of upgrading the motor and adding a blower in the future. I want to be as cheap but SAFE as possible. Sorry I know it's long.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go with the Dry plate kit the Interface is included and that will address your a/f ratio and your timing pull needs. neither will effect your n/a tune so you are safe there. basically you can do the tune yourself, but you will need to verify your a/f ratio for ultimate safety. Normally the suggested tune form the kit will have you running a little rich, so fine tuning is often needed, but you easily do this yourself by flipping a couple dip switches in the Interface. So easy to do these days. You may need to address your fuel system, but hat usually comes with modding anyway, so don't listen to the nay sayers, lol. You could even take it a step further and add the MicroEdge window SW, a sit has the rich/lean shut down feature. probably the two most important safety items. well there are some things to think about and get you started in your quest for the spray. good luck
Robert
Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Robert56 also happens to have a nice write up on how to pull timing with a tuning suite (hptuners,efilive etc....) for a dry hit AND keep your N/A tune.

If your considering tuning yourself that's an option. If you don't want to tune I'd do what he said.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

If your NA tune is dialed in then your not going to need a tune for a wet shot or dry shot with the interface. You of course want to dial in your A/F ratio with jet changes or use the switches on the interface to control fueling. I wouldnt pay more then a 100 bucks or so for a few dyno pulls. I would even avoid that and just pick up a decent Wideband right now and tune using that. You are going to need one anyway for when you go FI.

Shoot me a pm with your hp goals on this project and we can go from there. I should be able to piece you together something reasonably priced and should have a good resale value for when you go FI
Old 02-11-2009, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is done to your car. If using a wet plate system you have no reason to worry about the injectors. Just make sure you have enough fuel pump to supply the motor and Nitrous. The Stock fuel pump will support about 400-450HP. A replacemnet walboro is good for 450-500 and a Racetronix system is good for about 650 rear hp.

If using a wet plate all you have to do is change the fuel pill out to dial in the airfuel. As to the timming. If your car has a custom tune where the timming is advanced you are going to need some timming removed. You can do this reliably through the following the methods.
PCM tunning or using a timming controller.

If using a timming box the best method is using a device that reads the factory crank sensor, cam sensor or coil fire.
I would look into the lingerfelter. Other choices are the timming twister or timming tunner.

Keep it simple.

If I can help in any way let me know. Shoot me a pm with what area you are around and I may be able to suggest a good tuner.
Dave
Old 02-11-2009, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

You're going to need a fuel pump. I would recommend one from racetronix as it has a hotwire harness as well.

You can address the timing a few different ways and as you can see there is a very broad range in price. Generally when you take your car to get tuned by a tuner for nitrous, they are simply pulling timing and verifying a/f on the dyno. A/F on a wet kit his is simply done via jet and on a dry kit you're simply playing with nozzle position (unless you use something like the Interface where you just flip switches). Both scenarios, no tuner has any business playing with any of your fueling tables unless your N/A a/f is off. Back to the timing, you can do so via a few methods. Feel free to shoot me over a PM and we can go over them in detail and see what option is best for you.

Nick

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
I'm taking the nitrous plunge in my 400rwhp NA car.
I'm not tuning the car myself. I'm just tryingt to gain some basic info instead of shoveling out money for something that I don't have a clue about. For example. I have a tune on my car already. I have a small cam 214/230 .600/578 117. so not much seems to have been altered. Anyway. I've received 3 quotes. $125 from previous tuner, $300 from new shop, and $500 from guy that used to work at previous tuner's shop. Let's just say it leaves me hesitant and confused. Are they simply pulling timing which I hear can be achieved with a timing tuner? Are they pulling timing and adding fuel? Just wondering....
Also, I figured out that I should run TR6's. I'm using an ls1 plate kit wet from either HSW or NX.
I've read many posts and got different opinions. Some say I definitely will definitely need a Walbro 255 and upgraded injectors $500. Some say I need a stand alone fuel cell $700. Some say I don't need anything more than the kit and acc. I have the money for whatever nitrous related; but, given I'm doing this as a short term experiment with hopes of upgrading the motor and adding a blower in the future. I want to be as cheap but SAFE as possible. Sorry I know it's long.

Search this Thread