Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which kits for Me Lt1

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which kits for Me Lt1

im looking into getting a nitrous kit come spring time and wasnt to sure on what kit to get as far as dry or wet...my car NA should be good for a 11.6-11.8 pass now...i want to get a kit with all the safety stuff as well...my goal is to get a 10 second time slip...i was looking at the harris speed works single nozzle dry shot with jettings from 75hp-125hp..would this kit get me to my goal or should i spend more money and get the wet kit capable of 150hp...i will also be buying the accessory kit with all the safety things as well

here is the link to the dry kit i had in mind

http://http://www.harrisspeedworks.c...cat=365&page=1

any info would be great
Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not saying you can't use a dry but almost everyone will point you to a wet kit because the LT1 PCM is much too slow for a before the MAF dry shot. Even HSW and Nitrous Outlet like to use a wet kit on LT1's simply because they don't trust the PCM increasing the fuel pressure for a nitrous hit on a LT1. But at the same time HSW has a new thing you can use to increase fuel pressure instead of using the PCM.

I myself use a wet kit because I didn't want to buy new injectors and get a new tune.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Launching!

how about the shot after the maf and get a timing controler to pull the timing and what not...if you saying the pcm are that weak
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally do not like the dry systems on the LT1. My first choice for the LT1 would be our LT1 plate system. It offers the cleanest install and you are not limited with growth.

My next choice would be a wet single nozzle system. The Nitrous Outlet line gives you the best of the best. 400 HP high flowing abuse taking solenoids, Hogh flow bottle valve with dual accessory ports, and 250 hp nozzle.

If you are working on a tite budget and are looking for a great product but can not afford the best check Out our Brand X line. The brand X line is hard top beat when it comes to budget systems. Brand X solenoids are built to our standards and flow 200HP. The bottle valve is a high flow valve and the nozzle flows 200 HP. Our Brand X system still carries the Nitro Dave's name which tells you that its a reliable product designed to deliver great results.

If I can make any suggestions or answer any questions please let me know.
Dave

Ohh here is a picture of our LT1 plate system with a custom solenoid bracket and hardlined.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by th3brandon
how about the shot after the maf and get a timing controler to pull the timing and what not...if you saying the pcm are that weak
Give us a call and we'll be more than happy to discuss your project with you. Depending on the vehicle year, a dry kit will work fantastic. We have quite a bit of knowledge on the LTx platform as well as the LSx. We just accuired an OBD1 LT1 car to add to the test bed stable to keep the 396 LT4 company.

Nick
Old 02-17-2009, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

I also agree with Dave. If you are on a tight budget then definately go with a wet kit. Even if you aren't on a tight budget I would still go that way. I didn't like the idea of the PCM trying to add fuel but then again HSW has that new product to do that instead of the PCM. I have heard numerous good things about HSW. My buddy has one of their wet kits and loves it. I have personally used Nitro Dave's several times and have been nothing but impressed. Plus like he said not buying new injectors and a F/p is a plus. I would use something like the Mallory box or something to pull timing. But thats just my .02$.

D
Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ihasfip
I didn't like the idea of the PCM trying to add fuel but then again HSW has that new product to do that instead of the PCM.
The NOS 5176 dry kit has never relied on the PCM to add fuel. It boosts pressure to the fuel rail through a regulator to push the extra fuel.

The HSW Interface is interesting, although their website says it works through the MAF, so I would say that it is mostly relying on the PCM to dump the extra fuel. Nick, feel free to straighten me out.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

My kit started life as an NX LT1 wet kit with the shark nozzle...It's been morphed into a plate kit/carb but it's gotta be 10+ years old. I'm the 3rd owner and it's been on 5 cars. My bottle count is over 100 bottles thru them. Last year I had the noids rebuilt..I thought they looked great and so did NX..They got new parts but really didn't need them. I have nice spares tho!.. if their quality is still this good, I'd reccomend that kit.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by joeZ96
The NOS 5176 dry kit has never relied on the PCM to add fuel. It boosts pressure to the fuel rail through a regulator to push the extra fuel.

The HSW Interface is interesting, although their website says it works through the MAF, so I would say that it is mostly relying on the PCM to dump the extra fuel. Nick, feel free to straighten me out.

I wasn't talking about any specific dry kit. Just the fact that with most dry kits that spray pre MAF, they rely on the PCM to add fuel by tricking the computer VIA the MAF. I am sure there are exceptions but in general without any fancy controllers that is how they work.

D
Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also shoot larry over at speed inc a pm. He just converted his dry kit to a wet plate. Maybe he can give you some non bias feed back.
Dave
Old 02-18-2009, 05:26 AM
FormerVendor

Look there's 10 different ways you can skin this cat...no one way is going to be better or easier for the mass majority. The OP needs to weigh his options and decide what's the best scenario. Keep in mind that the only limiting factor of extending the dry kit to a 150 shot will be the injectors. And whether that's an added cost or something that should be done in the first place is something that the OP will need to investigate by verifying injector duty cycle. If you ever hit a brick wall we can always extend the maf range via Interface. We've done it numerous times for many customers that simply do not want to convert to wet. lol believe it or not there are die hard dry guys as well. So you aren't really limited by either kit. The only thing we would need to know is what year and what mods to really get you going in the right direction...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Launching!

yea i like the idea of a dry kit bc it makes things easier to hide and what not...but then again i would not mind the wet kit due to the fact that it would not but all on the pcm for adding fuel...i got 42lbs injectors in the car now so maybe i can do the dry kit..im still up in the air tho on which kit i would get better use out of..im have to call hsw and or nitro dave to find out more
Old 02-18-2009, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ihasfip
I wasn't talking about any specific dry kit. Just the fact that with most dry kits that spray pre MAF, they rely on the PCM to add fuel by tricking the computer VIA the MAF. I am sure there are exceptions but in general without any fancy controllers that is how they work.
Understood. I was just pointing out that there are dry kits out there that do not rely on the PCM, and when you are talking LTX, I think the NOS 5176 has been the standard of dry kits for a long time. Nice to see HSW offer another option now.

From my own personal experience, I know of a couple of guys, including myself, that started on the NOS 5176 dry kit, that have now moved onto a wet plate kit. The dry kit never produced great results for me and was difficult to tune (although sounds like the HSW Interface can help with this). The wet plate kit gave me great results right out of the box and as Dave mentioned, gives me some room to grow.

Give both those guys a call and I'm sure they will set you up right whatever direction you choose.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

I started out with the 5176 kit on both my old 96 Z/28 and current 97 Z/28. The setup worked well while H/C @ 150 jetting, but when I was looking for more I turned to a wet kit.

The 96 back 5+ years ago was upgraded to a TNT dual nozzle kit when I went to my 383 S/R setup. The hit was just something you can't compare to the dry and I was able to spray 200 safely.

The 97 I have now was upgraded to a Nitrous Outlet plate kit with the 396 H/R setup. I was looking for an efficient way to spray 200 or maybe more and Dave got me setup. We had used their plate kits both LSx and LTx in the past with great results. I went with the intake bracket as well as hard lines which made for a clean install.

thanks Dave

no testing yet since the warmth went away here, but spring will be here soon and I can't wait

Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
I started out with the 5176 kit on both my old 96 Z/28 and current 97 Z/28. The setup worked well while H/C @ 150 jetting, but when I was looking for more I turned to a wet kit.

The 96 back 5+ years ago was upgraded to a TNT dual nozzle kit when I went to my 383 S/R setup. The hit was just something you can't compare to the dry and I was able to spray 200 safely.

The 97 I have now was upgraded to a Nitrous Outlet plate kit with the 396 H/R setup. I was looking for an efficient way to spray 200 or maybe more and Dave got me setup. We had used their plate kits both LSx and LTx in the past with great results. I went with the intake bracket as well as hard lines which made for a clean install.

thanks Dave

no testing yet since the warmth went away here, but spring will be here soon and I can't wait

That's a super clean setup man, looks great
Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
That's a super clean setup man, looks great

thanks