Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NITROUS-How big of a shot before you concern yourself with tuning??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NITROUS-How big of a shot before you concern yourself with tuning??

I am going in next week for another tune. I recently added a set of Heads and some port work and know I need to tune for this stuff, but I was wondering where is the limit on Nitrous before you start adding fuel and timing. Right now I have a 125hp plate system and a full nitrous tune. Car runs so pig @ss rich I hate it. I sprayed Nitrous ONCE on the dyno and NEVER on the street. I think it is silly to have the system and tune for it when it is very rarely used. If I were to bump the shot down to say 75hp would I really need to tune for it? I do have the TR6's and can use them on the street, but I no longer want to be pig @ss rich. I am sure I am leaving power on the table as well with my nitrous tune. Where would you say the limit is. This is my full setup:

2001 Z06 28K Stock bottom end
ported LS6 intake and Throttlebody, K&N C6 intake
GMPP/Lingenfelter Heads
MTI-G1 Cam (228/232 .588/.575 113) all supporting mods
ATI Pulley, Plug wires
QTP Longtubes, Xpipe with cutouts, RT highflow cats, Magnaflow catback
DTE Stage 3 rear with 4.10's and a LS7 clutch

I am not looking for the MOST power from this setup, I am looking for the optimal tune if that makes sense.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

So you've got a dry shot then?

Why not just set it up for a wet kit and then leave a few degrees of timing out and be done.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No sir. Right now I have a "Plate System" on a Z06. I dont want to pull any timing because I am then leaving power on the table. I would rather have a perfect NA tune that can support a small shot if that makes sense.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a timing tuner so you can run advanced timing normally and then when you use the bottle it will take the timing out for you. You get the best of both worlds. To better answer your question you need to be more descriptive of what you have in your N2O kit, window switch, WOT switch, etc. Most of the cars use a device like the "Timing Tuner" to be able to run full timing the 99% of the time that we drive the car and then the timing tuner works as a window switch and pulls the set amount of timing out when the WOT switch is activated, also it can act as a delay switch that allows you to launch and set tires before the N2O hits.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I dont know much about the timing tuner but i did see them. I have a Dynotune wet kit with a Nitro Dave's plate. Dynotune purge, Dynotune window switch, 860 bottle heater, System is all controlled by the window switch
Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

So why is the car tuned rich for nitrous when its got a wet kit on it?

When you said a plate kit I thought it was wet but then you saying the car runs pig rich n/a I assumes it must be a dry kit and the cars tuned rich for the nitrous.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish I knew that answer buddy. from what I have been told it is my cam causing the richness? who knows. The new tuner will have it all cleared up.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

get the best NA tune dialed in and then pick up the HSW interface to pull your timing when the nitrous is activated
Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Ive got an HSW interface on my wet plate, its great, you never know its there, it wires in series with you're solenoids, and plugs directly into youre MAF. Only takes out timing when youre solenoids are activated.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

Well I think there is some confusion on the timing and fueling end of your post. You shouldn't be adding any fuel via the tune on a wet kit. All of the fueling on a wet kit is done via jet. If you're looking to lean it out, start with the jets. As far as timing, there are a few ways to go about it. Either they can pull the timing from the tune N/A or you can use an external device to control the timing while spraying. Shoot me over a PM when you get a moment and we can discuss your set up a little further if you'd like.

Nick

Originally Posted by teddyca
I am going in next week for another tune. I recently added a set of Heads and some port work and know I need to tune for this stuff, but I was wondering where is the limit on Nitrous before you start adding fuel and timing. Right now I have a 125hp plate system and a full nitrous tune. Car runs so pig @ss rich I hate it. I sprayed Nitrous ONCE on the dyno and NEVER on the street. I think it is silly to have the system and tune for it when it is very rarely used. If I were to bump the shot down to say 75hp would I really need to tune for it? I do have the TR6's and can use them on the street, but I no longer want to be pig @ss rich. I am sure I am leaving power on the table as well with my nitrous tune. Where would you say the limit is. This is my full setup:

2001 Z06 28K Stock bottom end
ported LS6 intake and Throttlebody, K&N C6 intake
GMPP/Lingenfelter Heads
MTI-G1 Cam (228/232 .588/.575 113) all supporting mods
ATI Pulley, Plug wires
QTP Longtubes, Xpipe with cutouts, RT highflow cats, Magnaflow catback
DTE Stage 3 rear with 4.10's and a LS7 clutch

I am not looking for the MOST power from this setup, I am looking for the optimal tune if that makes sense.