Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NXL Issues in here...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 12:57 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NXL Issues in here...

Ok, trying to keep this in one thread maybe we can help eachother out.

1- The hesitation as brought up in previous post, I disagree now about the lack of purge. I have no purge as well, but if I spray for 3seconds, then another 5seconds, and then again and again and everytime it has a slight hesitation, it is NOT due to lack of purge.

2- The loss of RWHP as indicated by Dyno runs vs a wet kit. Cant speak for everyone, but, I do believe the jetting is overly conservative. Understanding this kit is designed for several different vehicles it doesnt amaze me by the Ultra conservative jetting. I setup mine with the 180, as many have, I used my in-car Wideband, NA 93 octane mix with some 103, at 27* I had WOT readings of 11.8 average (used to be spot on 12.5 but I also swapped in Drew778's 28.8# injectors). Now, hit the spray button and the AFR drops from 11.8 to average of 10.00, and often into the mid 9 region. Thats taking up a lot of power, but is also very safe. I would like to try some Nitrous jetting of 28 or 30, rather than drop the fuel jet down to say 12 or 10 and re wideband it. What do you all think? Bottle pressure should be around 950'ish, cant say for sure, but yes I konw the pressure will effect the ratio, thats another reason this is a crap shoot.

3- I really didnt like not having the instruction, but so much appreciate those installed before me for all their help.

Other than that, the kit has been complimented from everyone, even the local mustang guys like it-until track day!
Old 11-06-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CAT3
Ok, trying to keep this in one thread maybe we can help eachother out.

1- The hesitation as brought up in previous post, I disagree now about the lack of purge. I have no purge as well, but if I spray for 3seconds, then another 5seconds, and then again and again and everytime it has a slight hesitation, it is NOT due to lack of purge.

2- The loss of RWHP as indicated by Dyno runs vs a wet kit. Cant speak for everyone, but, I do believe the jetting is overly conservative. Understanding this kit is designed for several different vehicles it doesnt amaze me by the Ultra conservative jetting. I setup mine with the 180, as many have, I used my in-car Wideband, NA 93 octane mix with some 103, at 27* I had WOT readings of 11.8 average (used to be spot on 12.5 but I also swapped in Drew778's 28.8# injectors). Now, hit the spray button and the AFR drops from 11.8 to average of 10.00, and often into the mid 9 region. Thats taking up a lot of power, but is also very safe. I would like to try some Nitrous jetting of 28 or 30, rather than drop the fuel jet down to say 12 or 10 and re wideband it. What do you all think? Bottle pressure should be around 950'ish, cant say for sure, but yes I konw the pressure will effect the ratio, thats another reason this is a crap shoot.

3- I really didnt like not having the instruction, but so much appreciate those installed before me for all their help.

Other than that, the kit has been complimented from everyone, even the local mustang guys like it-until track day!

question, was that Wideband reading on a dyno? It might lean out a bit on the street due to more of a load being put on the motor.. just a thought.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

another thing... you said your N/A afr was already richer than normal by .7, so factor that back in to the 10.0 or so, and that has you at 10.7ish, still rich, but not as bad... add a bit more bottle pressure (say 1100 psi) and I'd be you'd come closer to where you want to be
Old 11-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Restricted User

angst911, No the WBreadings are on the street, I installed the WB from the GP that was in tuning section, more accurate than we thought.
Yes, it is leaner now, at NA I am now Predator retuned to 13.2afr, and will be checking the spray in a minute or so. hehehe.

The hesitation, well I am feeling this may be an issue with the fuel pump trying to catch up. It is only a fraction of a second and then the afr shoots down, so it would be consistent with fuel needing to catch up to the system, not helpign of course the fact that there are 8 injectors spraying nitrous directly into the port, so the fuel is more important.

Anyone?????
Old 11-06-2003, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

angst911, No the WBreadings are on the street, I installed the WB from the GP that was in tuning section, more accurate than we thought.
Yes, it is leaner now, at NA I am now Predator retuned to 13.2afr, and will be checking the spray in a minute or so. hehehe.

The hesitation, well I am feeling this may be an issue with the fuel pump trying to catch up. It is only a fraction of a second and then the afr shoots down, so it would be consistent with fuel needing to catch up to the system, not helpign of course the fact that there are 8 injectors spraying nitrous directly into the port, so the fuel is more important.

Anyone?????
Maybe I'll be able to report on this at some point once I get all my parts - I have a dual intank Walbro 340 Racetronix setup that I plan on having the second pump turn on when the system is armed. If the fuel pump thing is an issue, I would think I wouldn't experience any drop off with both of those running simultaneously.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Restricted User

That would be cool.. guess you have a 98-99 huh?
Since our cars are returnless system, the way the pump works is "spooling" up action when the voltage changes, although it is moving at the speed of electricity, I am thinking it is a little slower then the 900+psi of Nitrous sitting right there. Cant find any other way to explain the micro second lean spike and "hesitation".
Old 11-07-2003, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

hmm.. yes, possible fuel pressure issue, I'm really hoping this kit turns out well, I'm about to buy one to put on my new motor, right now I'm debating the 120 or 180 shot since the 180 would have me right near the edge of my clutches rated holding capacity (spec stg 3)
Old 11-07-2003, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will let you know this weekend about the hesitation and fuel pump. I have a Walboro 340 in my LS1 RX7 so my FP regualtor is right at the motor and has a return line. I put the 120 jets in to be extra safe but boy I was pushing to put in those 26 and 14 jets. Anyone know what the jettings would be for larger shots? anyone try any others out yet?

And CAT you sound like you are running way rich but better safe than sorry.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also is everyone bumping their Fuel PRessure up to 55?? I saw that last night on the jetting card it say to bump it up, that may be cause some slight hesitation too.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
Also is everyone bumping their Fuel PRessure up to 55?? I saw that last night on the jetting card it say to bump it up, that may be cause some slight hesitation too.
For people using just a replacement Walbro pump, the FP will go up because it's a more powerful pump and the intank regulator many times has a hard time keeping the FP constant. Most with an intank 340 should be ok even with the stock regulator I'd think. I bet most cars with the replacement 340 will be at around 55, possibly more I'd think.

That would be cool.. guess you have a 98-99 huh?
Since our cars are returnless system, the way the pump works is "spooling" up action when the voltage changes, although it is moving at the speed of electricity, I am thinking it is a little slower then the 900+psi of Nitrous sitting right there. Cant find any other way to explain the micro second lean spike and "hesitation".
Nope, I have a 2001 - but I got the dual setup that ARE/racetronix was doing for the 00'-02' cars, I don't know that they're doing it anymore though. I got it used from someone on the board here. I decided to go for it rather than fabbing up my own dual intank system. A little more expensive, but A LOT nicer than doing your own.

Anyway, I'm basically just looking for a true 150RWHP out of this thing so I hope some people do more testing and find out what jets will get me there. The only dyno results so far is that the 180 jets only put down 130RWHP on a iron block motor. I hope some more results roll in.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:40 AM
Restricted User

Me too. I am jetted 180, leaned out now a little as far as tune, so.....will fnd out tonight.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

CAT3 one of the reasons you have an initial higher AFR then drops back in line is the intial hit of spray that is hitting the cyl before the fuel for a very brief period... this is what causes the huge TQ spike as well due to the jump in cyl pressure. a way to minimize this on direct port systems is actually shorten the fuel line from the solenoid to the nozzle rather than make both the N2O and Fuel the same length. upon the initial hit you may see a pressure fluctuation on your FP due to opening the solenoid.. you have delivery issues if the system does not recover very quickly. FI the pressure drops and stays there as well as progressively dropping during a run you need to beef up the fuel system. hope this helps...
Old 11-10-2003, 06:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm kindof disgusted with what I'm reading for results here.Was looking into getting DP for my setup but now I'm second guessing and just go with a TNT for less $$.
Hope NX fixes these problems before Jan.
When I ran a TNT kit on my stock motor a few years ago I got 90rwhp on a 75 shot and 140rwhp on a 100 shot with A/F at 11-1.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

It has been said before but the HP rating doesnt matter as long as it performs properly. Just cause I say it is a 20hp jet but you get 50hp out of it doesnt make my product good it just means I underestimated the jetting.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
It has been said before but the HP rating doesnt matter as long as it performs properly. Just cause I say it is a 20hp jet but you get 50hp out of it doesnt make my product good it just means I underestimated the jetting.
Exactly, who gives a crap what the jetting says? If it didn't get you enough power, keep jetting up until you're at the level you want to be. The point of a kit like this is that you can get away with jetting up to a higher level as there is an even distribution to all the cylinders which is much safer.