Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/ new cam choice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/ new cam choice?

So, I'm considering upgrading my cam. Currently, it's a baby... don't laugh. 220/224 530/534 on 112. I use Comp Pro Mags @ 1.85 so the lift is a little better than 530/534.
I'm considering a bigger cam for more N/A power. The balance of my set up is:
5.3 S2 Patriot Heads
Hooker LTs
3" X-pip w/ twisters and turn downs
FAST 90/90
March UD pulley
Spec 3+ clutch
Chromoly DS
9" Moser w/ 35 spline axles, 4.10 and a spool.

The tune in this graph is at 11.2 AF and the NOSzles were jetted at 125.
I know there's more there by leaning 'er out.

I drove it to a best of 11.23 @ 123 but the only video I have is 11.53 here: (I intentionally gave my friend in the Fox Body a 2 second head start)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbdQPxMlAO8

Since then, I've changed some things and think it's maybe time for a new cam too. I considered solid roller, but I think it's more than I want to spend...this time around.

What's new: The new things since then are a 90mm plate (replaced the NOSzles <~for sale btw), and a Harlan 2-step. Not much, I know...

Anyway, based on the graph above (keep in mind the generous tune) if I lean er out I stand to pick up 8-10hp more N/A, is a cam change worth the money? Yes, I have stock ratio rockers available. Would the TREX or MS4 or G5x3 give me enough on the n/a side to be worth the time and effort? I'm kinda lazy these days.
The car is not daily driven. Last year I put 1500 miles on it. The year before, maybe 3k. Street drivability is a factor, but comes a close second to performance.
In my opinion, if I can't gain 20-30 more hp from a new cam, it's not worth it? Any opinions?

Thanks
Greg
Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, what's a guy gotta do around here to get some experienced input?

Some corrections...

The dyno and video are with a Weiand Aluminum Intake. I have no numbers since the 90/90 set up was installed.

The heads are coming off in the next few weeks to get freshened up and if I'm going to swap the cam, that would be the time.