Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about nitrous, LOTS of Questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Thinking about nitrous, LOTS of Questions!!!

Okay well I have a bolt-on 01 z28 still on stock stall and tune. I am planning on adding some 3.73s and a stall and some spray.

My first question is, do I need a specific type of stall converter for nitrous, or will just a regular Yank 4k work?

Second, I know you have to tune the car for nitrous, but is there anyway to keep my car where it will still run great even off the juice? Like possibly a hand-held tuner that can save custom tunes?

Also, i have heard that if you go over a 100 shot, that you need to replace your fuel pump, I wasn't planning higher than a 100, but I may just replace it anyway. What do ya'll think, and would you suggest a walbro 255lph, or something else?

What all do I need for a complete nitrous setup? I know I need a window switch, a WOT switch, a bottle pressure gauge, i want a remote bottle opener, remote bottle heater, and of course the bottle and the jets, but what am I missing?

i am wanting to order a kit, or maybe just put one together, that can just be installed and away i go.

I am wanting to get this as my next mod, and I am saving money as we speak, so any info would be awesome guys. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just took the nitrous plunge, still haven't got it to work yet. You named the right accessories. with a standalone, ou won't have to add a fuel pump intank and you can probably keep most of your horses. there are timeing tuners, to pull timing when the nitrous is armed. You can get a kit; but, since I'm finish with my install, I know I could have saved a few bucks by piecing one together. I just didn't know any better. Do your research and be patient with the install. Anybody can do it.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
Okay well I have a bolt-on 01 z28 still on stock stall and tune. I am planning on adding some 3.73s and a stall and some spray.

My first question is, do I need a specific type of stall converter for nitrous, or will just a regular Yank 4k work?
I'll leave that for the auto guys to answer.

Second, I know you have to tune the car for nitrous, but is there anyway to keep my car where it will still run great even off the juice? Like possibly a hand-held tuner that can save custom tunes?
This is kind of what I do. I use a Timing Tuner. It's nice because it has a built in window switch, adjustable timing retard while the kit is activated, and a delay feature. It allows me to run full timing while on motor and then retarded timing while the kit is activated. It's nice, but kind of pricey...I picked mine up used off here though.

Also, i have heard that if you go over a 100 shot, that you need to replace your fuel pump, I wasn't planning higher than a 100, but I may just replace it anyway. What do ya'll think, and would you suggest a walbro 255lph, or something else?
I would just do an in tank Walbro 255lph pump. It's cheap insurance and pretty easy to install as long as you don't mind cutting a little trap door in your hatch area. That's what I used (originally used it with a Caspers hotwire kit but ditched that) It was fine last year with my cammed setup with various jettings up to 200rwhp shots. The Racetronix kit is a good upgrade/alternative also.

What all do I need for a complete nitrous setup? I know I need a window switch, a WOT switch, a bottle pressure gauge, i want a remote bottle opener, remote bottle heater, and of course the bottle and the jets, but what am I missing?
Most of the kits now (I know HSW and NO do) come with WOT switches and bottle pressure gauges. The remote bottle opener...ehh there's a lot of other things I'd get before that. I would say a bottle heater is a VERY good idea especially if running a wet kit (I got mine from Dynotune for like 100 bucks) and a purge is also a good thing to have.

i am wanting to order a kit, or maybe just put one together, that can just be installed and away i go.
I was the same way. I bought a dual nozzle dry kit and then a wet plate kit from HSW and both kits included most of the little things you need to install and both have performed flawlessly. Good stuff.
I am wanting to get this as my next mod, and I am saving money as we speak, so any info would be awesome guys. Thanks.
Hope that helps out a little.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Swift_01_z-28;11788698]Okay well I have a bolt-on 01 z28 still on stock stall and tune. I am planning on adding some 3.73s and a stall and some spray.

My first question is, do I need a specific type of stall converter for nitrous, or will just a regular Yank 4k work? Yea, get a N20 verter.

A timing tuner wil llet you run full timing NA and retard timing when you wanna spray. I have that and a WS.

You can do that. But, you might be ok if your still stock. Just put a fuel pressure safety switch incase your pressure does drop.

Vendors on here have kits.. I would get a plate kit.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, that helps quite a bit. i am gonna check out dynotune and daves nitrous outlet and see what I can't get.

Keep the info coming guys, that's why I love this site.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Give me a call man. I just bought a NX kit. Ill let you know the odds and ends you need. And as always give you a hand wrenching.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Give me a call man. I just bought a NX kit. Ill let you know the odds and ends you need. And as always give you a hand wrenching.
Will do man.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

I am running a 200 shot right now with stock pump with a boost pump. I use a msd retard box that way it retards my timing when I hit the nitrious. Mine is on a full throttle switch. You can get a manual retard box so you can just retard the timing 4 degreese for a 100 shot then time it back to stock
Old 06-26-2009, 08:00 AM
FormerVendor

Since you haven't purchased a stall just yet, I would look into something that will work well with nitrous.

Take a look at our interface controller to pull some timing while spraying the 100 shot.

Replacing a fuel pump is never a bad idea. If you're even thinking about doing it, don't hesitate.

Take a look at our all-out kit. It has everything to make a kit complete (minus a few convenience amenities). If you have any questions as to why a certain item is a good idea or what it does, please feel free to ask.

Nick

Old 06-26-2009, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

That Yank should be fine with what you're looking to do. Personally, I would do the fuel pump. It's cheap insurance
Old 06-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Launching!

I had a great experience using daves plate on mine!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Don't get a yank.

If you want cheep go vig.

IF you want the best
Coan,Neil Chace or PTC
Old 06-27-2009, 03:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a killer converter with a smaller price tag get an Edge. We have installed 10-15 of them in the past year or two and had excellent results out of them. I've hit mine with 350+ shot and it took it like a champ! Plus you get a warranty. Talk to Andre if you call them.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Since you haven't purchased a stall just yet, I would look into something that will work well with nitrous.

Take a look at our interface controller to pull some timing while spraying the 100 shot.

Replacing a fuel pump is never a bad idea. If you're even thinking about doing it, don't hesitate.

Take a look at our all-out kit. It has everything to make a kit complete (minus a few convenience amenities). If you have any questions as to why a certain item is a good idea or what it does, please feel free to ask.

Nick
WOW, that interface looks like the ****!!! im buyin that as i write this
Old 07-03-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

so how are people blowing up their cars with nitrous? i would like to run it but im scared

Quick Reply: Thinking about nitrous, LOTS of Questions!!!