Sponsored by:

NX TPS WOT switch issues....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX TPS WOT switch issues....

I am using the NX TPS WOT switch, here is my wiring diagram:

Problem is I'm not getting any activity on the LED, it should illuminate when the TPS reads 4V. My best guess it's because of my window switch, it is not grounding the relay until the switch is active (3,000-6,600 RPM) Does this seem to be the case to everyone else?

If so how do I test the WOT switch without the relay? Do I need to connect both the pink and red wires on the TPS switch to 12V? Then I can set the switch to activate at 4V and tie it back into the relay?
Old 11-13-2003, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

ground the terminal on the relay that you had the window switch connected to. when the tps hits 4v it should make the 12v fire to your solinoids.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:40 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You may want to just adjust the little tiny set screw in the TPS box. It's used to adjust the various voltage differences in the TPS output signal. The stock non modified throttle body TPS sensor can't throw more then 3.5 volts. That set screw allows you to dial it back down so that you can find the activation voltage that it takes for your car. Give that a try. Also, when you set that, simply look for the LED to light up on the TPS box itself. The window switch won't have anything to do with testing that particular piece.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DERTY
You may want to just adjust the little tiny set screw in the TPS box. It's used to adjust the various voltage differences in the TPS output signal. The stock non modified throttle body TPS sensor can't throw more then 3.5 volts. That set screw allows you to dial it back down so that you can find the activation voltage that it takes for your car. Give that a try. Also, when you set that, simply look for the LED to light up on the TPS box itself. The window switch won't have anything to do with testing that particular piece.
I have tried adjusting the set screw all the way in both directions and I cannot get the LED to come on at all. The TB is all the way open and nothing. I can see now that the window switch doesn't matter, relays still confuse me a bit. I'm going to put my voltmeter on the TPS switch and see what voltage it is reading, I'm also gonna connect power directly to the battery and bypass the relay and see if it works.

It may just be a bad switch, I have heard of a few problems with them. Thanks for the advice.

-Andy
Old 11-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4DRSS
I have tried adjusting the set screw all the way in both directions and I cannot get the LED to come on at all. The TB is all the way open and nothing. I can see now that the window switch doesn't matter, relays still confuse me a bit. I'm going to put my voltmeter on the TPS switch and see what voltage it is reading, I'm also gonna connect power directly to the battery and bypass the relay and see if it works.

It may just be a bad switch, I have heard of a few problems with them. Thanks for the advice.

-Andy
I had the same porblem with that switch. After I got it adjusted it worked for like two passes then I couldn't get it to do anyting. Twisted the set screw to max and min. notta. Junk it and go with a wot switch
Old 11-14-2003, 07:32 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, before you go frying the thing, might I suggest two simple tests then. The first, see how much voltage is coming out of the TPS switch on the car. If it's right around 3, it may be well below the range for the TPS signal to set off the WOT switch. If it is, I would suggest just unbolting the TPS from the throttle body. Don't worry, it's keyed so it will go right back on the way it came off. Move the sensor and see if that sets it off. If it does I would suggest performing the bump stop mod and start grinding on the tab that holds the throttle at WOT. Our cars naturally do not open the throttle 100%, even though you may see 100% on autotap. There is a slight downward angle to it. Just grind it back a little at a time until you get the voltage required to set off the TPS. That's an easy thing to try at least.

Quick Reply: NX TPS WOT switch issues....