Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the Facts.. Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Getting the Facts.. Part 1

Thank you for taking time to read this week’s technical post. Before getting into the more technical explanations we are going to start at the basics and make sure everyone understands what Nitrous Oxide is and how it works. This way they can follow along as we proceed and understand. I am going to try to keep this as simple as possible not over complicating it.

What is Nitrous Oxide?

Nitrous Oxide can be referred to as a non flammable cryogenic gas, oxidizer, compound or molecule. Nitrous Oxide is 36% oxygen by weight and is stored as a compressed liquid. Nitrous Oxide is composed of 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen.

To better understand Nitrous Oxide you should know the definitions of its chemical make up. So I will explain it here.

Cryogenic gases are gases that have been liquefied by lowering temperature, usually to a temperature under about -100°C.

Oxidizers are substance’s that release oxygen or other oxidizing material. The release can be accompanied by the production of heat.

Compounds are a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight.

Molecules are two or more atoms joined together by chemical bonds.

Atoms are the basic building blocks of ordinary matter. Atoms can join together to form molecules, which in turn form most of the objects around you.

Grades of Nitrous Oxide

Nitrous Oxide exists in two grades. U.S.P and Nitrous Plus

U.S.P is a medical grade nitrous oxide and is not available to the public.

Nitrous Plus is nitrous oxide that contains sulphur dioxide and is available to the public. Sulphur dioxide is added to prevent substance abuse.

Both grades of Nitrous are usable in an automobile for performance reasons. However since Nitrous Oxide in its purest form is a medical grade it is against the law to purchase or use for racing purposes. Odds are your local speed shop is filling your bottle with Nitrous Plus.

The Boiling and Combustion of Nitrous Oxide

Nitrous Oxide is stored as a liquid under pressure and turns into a gas once it expands. This expansion is referred to as boiling. Nitrous boils at 129.1* below zero. As the gas enters the air intake it significantly reduces the air intake temperatures. This cooler temperature means the air is denser. This is a great benefit; however it is not the reason for the main increase in power. (Many boosted applications use nitrous just for cooling the air intake and to absorb heat soak.)

The main increase in power comes from the ability to burn more fuel from a controlled combustion process. Let me explain.
As the nitrous enters the combustion chamber it will break down separating the nitrogen and oxygen molecules. This happens due to the fact that Nitrous breaks down at temperatures of 565-575*F. The combustion temperatures greatly exceed this temperature. As the bond breaks apart the nitrogen acts as a heat absorbent and the oxygen increases the ability to burn more fuel. It is important to feed the oxygen with the correct amount of fuel needed in order to avoid a lean condition. With the increase in the amount of fuel being burned it will increase the cylinder pressure upon compression stroke. As a result the piston will be returned at a faster rate than normal. (Oxygen + Fuel + Cylinder pressure = HP)

Controlling Detonation

Detonation can lead to engine failure. To avoid detonation controlling the combustion process is very important. This is done by controlling the burn rate through air fuel and timing.

Controlling the air fuel is achieved by providing the increase in oxygen with the amount of fuel needed. By providing the correct amount of fuel it will avoid a lean condition that causes heat in the cylinder.

Retarding timing to control cylinder pressure is important to avoid pre mature combustion, other wise known as detonation.

Over View

What you should have learned from this.

1. Nitrous Oxide may be referred to as a cryogenic gas, oxidizer, compound or molecule.
2. Nitrous is not flammable by its self.
3. Nitrous Oxide is 36% oxygen by weight.
4. Nitrous Oxide is composed of 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen.
5. Nitrous breaks down at temperatures of 565-575*F.
6. Nitrous Oxide is stored as a compressed liquid that becomes a gas once it expands.
7. The expansion from liquid to gas is referred to as the boiling point.
8. Nitrous Boils at 129.1* below zero.
9. Nitrous is available in two grades. U.S.P and Nitrous Plus.
10. Oxygen + Fuel + Cylinder pressure = HP
11. Detonation is controlled by air fuel and peak cylinder pressure.

Last edited by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet; 07-02-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice, i look forward to learing more. thanx dave!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup Already knew all that but it never hurts to read it again. Bring on the next installment!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks guys...
Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the refresher im getting ready to set mine up in a few days and im reading as much as possible! thanks keep up the good work!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks! this is summer school i actually don't mind attending
Old 07-08-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

PM me all of the threads with these once you are done and I will add them to the sticky
Old 07-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet

Retarding timing to control cylinder pressure is important to avoid pre mature combustion, other wise known as detonation.
You propose that pre-ignition and detonation are the same event?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dlove
PM me all of the threads with these once you are done and I will add them to the sticky
Ok sounds good.
Dave
Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HeadDown
You propose that pre-ignition and detonation are the same event?
No they are not exactly the same event. I will get further into the explanation in the neer future. I am attempting to walk into it in a simple manner and then get more precise.

Dave
Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

where is the next installemnt dave? LOL i need to learn more. lOL
Old 07-08-2009, 01:04 PM
FormerVendor

Ill have it late this week. Doing some R&D this week to finish up some new products. Its taking alot of my time.
Dave
Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Teching In

I am attempting to walk into it in a simple manner and then get more precise.
Dave
Sorry, just busting you *****.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:53 AM
On The Tree

How long does it take for nitrous to deteriorate and is no longer useable. Can i store it in september and will it still be good in June? I have read it was 6 months somewhere online, but I cannot find the article and a definite answer to that. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

I realize that Cryogenics speaks to temperature. If you really want to explain it you may want to speak in a bit more detail as too the importance of pressure in keeping N2O in liquid form. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but if a complete amateur read this they may be lead to believe that is remains as a liquid because its so cold in the bottle. I say this speaking to your explanations under "What is Nitrous Oxide?"

Over all, great write up. Look forward to seeing what comes next

-Will
Old 07-10-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

With the increase in the amount of fuel being burned it will increase the cylinder pressure upon compression stroke. As a result the piston will be returned at a faster rate than normal. (Oxygen + Fuel + Cylinder pressure = HP)
technically, shouldn't (O2 + FUEL + CYLINDER PRESSURE = TQ), as HP is calculated by TQ...which also explains the greater production of TQ with the use of N2O?