Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purge Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Purge Not Working

just finished my install, or so i thought. I got a fuel and nitrous leak still to take care of, the nitrous being a pin hole is size leak between the nitrous solenoid and purge. Want to get my purge working for sure before i worry about taking it off to fix though. I have it wired correctly according to the schematics that came with it, one thing though is shows to tap into the wire coming off the WOT switch to the nitrous arming switch. So all I did was put the two wires together and crimped on the connetor to hook it into the switch. when i hit the purge button, nothing works, no clicks or nothing. im assuming my wot is good as when i press it i can hear a change in the pressure from the leak. where should i start checking?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you shouldn't have the purge wired with the wot switch.. It should be seperate with a relay and a button.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Can you get me a quick schematic? According to daves schematic that came with it, it's wired off that wire from the wot switch and no relay.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

You probably have a wire with 12v from the arm switch to the wot switch when the arm switch is in the on position. It's fine to tie into that wire for the purge. Run from there to your purge switch and from the switch to the purge solenoid. The other side of the solenoid should be grounded. When you turn the arm switch on and press the purge button the purge solenoid should operate.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Teching In

go check out our website cold fusion nitrous go to watch installation viedos click on the first ls1 kit we show how to wire up a purge kit
Old 07-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
You probably have a wire with 12v from the arm switch to the wot switch when the arm switch is in the on position. It's fine to tie into that wire for the purge. Run from there to your purge switch and from the switch to the purge solenoid. The other side of the solenoid should be grounded. When you turn the arm switch on and press the purge button the purge solenoid should operate.
Thats how I have it set up, but get no operation.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

I'd jumper 12v to the wire going to the solenoid and see if it operates or check it with a meter or test light when you press the purge button. Make sure you have a good ground on the other side of the solenoid. Sounds like you don't have power on that wire when you turn the arm switch on. Either that or you have a bad ground or bad solenoid.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MetalAuthority
just finished my install, or so i thought. I got a fuel and nitrous leak still to take care of, the nitrous being a pin hole is size leak between the nitrous solenoid and purge. Want to get my purge working for sure before i worry about taking it off to fix though. I have it wired correctly according to the schematics that came with it, one thing though is shows to tap into the wire coming off the WOT switch to the nitrous arming switch. So all I did was put the two wires together and crimped on the connetor to hook it into the switch. when i hit the purge button, nothing works, no clicks or nothing. im assuming my wot is good as when i press it i can hear a change in the pressure from the leak. where should i start checking?
Best way to do a purge is on its own circuit. Use a relay if at all possible.

Nick
Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

If it's wired like we have been discussing, the only thing it is sharing is the hot from the arm switch. It won't make any difference, and it will never actually share because the purge and wot switch will never be on at the same time. It's just wired so the purge is only operable with the arm switch on. A relay is not a bad idea, but for the short bursts you gonna use it, it will be fine without it. Just make sure you have large enough wire to carry the current. I wouldn't rewire anything until you figure out why it doesn't work. It should be very simple. 2 wires to the solenoid. One ground one hot. As long as the wire coming from the arm switch is hot when you turn it on and you have a good ground on the other side of the purge solenoid, it should work. Check for power on both sides of the purge button with the solenoid disconnected. It should have battery voltage coming in from the arm switch and the same going out while you are pressing it. Don't forget to check the solenoid ground.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am alittle confused by what you are saying. I am assuming you are talking about having it wired up so that the system has to be armed in order to purge. That would be the diagrams below. If you want to be able to purge with out activating the system just simply feed the purge button a keyed power with out going through the system toggle switch.

The purge should be wired completely seperate from everything else.
If it is the standard size purge no relay is needed. If it is our big show purge a relay is needed.

Below are two diagrams I happen to have on my laptop.

Standard purge.

Big Show purge

Let me know if you need any help.
Dave
Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

The first schematic you have there dave, that's how my purge is set up currently and is just the small basic purge solenoid. I have a good ground and a good connection to the switch.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:43 PM
FormerVendor

Ok going by that diagram the systems arming switch will have to be trigered on before the purge will work. We do this just for safety reasons.
Dave
Old 07-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Yup. Check and checked, still no operation.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 PM
FormerVendor

Ok take a test light and see if you have power feeding the purge button. If yes check and see if you have power feeeding through it when the button is pressed. If that is yes check the grounds and make sure they have a good location.
Dave
Old 07-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Im seeing very low voltage at the purge button, most likely just ghost voltage. It does however ground out when the button in pressed. So this means my WOT switch is getting voltage right?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 PM
FormerVendor

Your WOT switch shpould have nothing to do with this. The only thing it has in common with the purge is that at the toggle switch it shares the same pole on the back of the switch.

What is grounding out when you push the button?
Dave
Old 07-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

The push button. I just took the two connections off and plugged my dvom into it with the system armed.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it sounds like you jumped the power for the purge from the wot switch, which you shouldn't. this is probably why you are seeing low voltage. run a separate wire from a keyed 12v source and check the purge operation then.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
it sounds like you jumped the power for the purge from the wot switch, which you shouldn't. this is probably why you are seeing low voltage. run a separate wire from a keyed 12v source and check the purge operation then.
You're saying that Nitrous outlet set the schematics up wrong? I dont see power going to the button on either wire. So the simple fix is to just find a power and ground for solenoid/button?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my purge hot wire comes staight from keyed power in fuse box, to the button, then to the purge noid. No need for a relay with the purge. you will only be using it for a second at a time.