Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purge Solenoid Malfunction??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Purge Solenoid Malfunction??

Just recently my HSW purge solenoid stopped working when the pressure was above 900. I noticed it when i came out of work this afternoon my gauge read 1100, so I tried to purge and nothing. I could hear the click, but no purge.

So i purged the old fashioned way by disconnecting the nozzle and manually hitting the WOT switch. I hit the purge button and worked fine. Opened the bottle back up and nothing again. I tried several times, is this common?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SS#2906
Just recently my HSW purge solenoid stopped working when the pressure was above 900. I noticed it when i came out of work this afternoon my gauge read 1100, so I tried to purge and nothing. I could hear the click, but no purge.

So i purged the old fashioned way by disconnecting the nozzle and manually hitting the WOT switch. I hit the purge button and worked fine. Opened the bottle back up and nothing again. I tried several times, is this common?
How is it wired? Sometimes without a relay you're drawing too many amps through electrical components that aren't designed to pass that many amps. Shoot me a PM with your contact info so I can look you up in the system.

Nick
Old 08-21-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I definitely have it wired thru a relay.

PM sent.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Did you get yours figured out, because I sent mine back in for doing the same thing.They checked it and said nothings wrong with it. I will have it back tomarrow for another try. They said I must have hooked it up wrong??
Jay
Old 10-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
How is it wired? Sometimes without a relay you're drawing too many amps through electrical components that aren't designed to pass that many amps. Shoot me a PM with your contact info so I can look you up in the system.

Nick
Sorry to bring up a old thread, I was just using that search feature...but I just recently got my system hooked up and my buddy mostly did the install for me... Well I went to purge and nothing next thing you know my Window switch shut off and the system basically died. Bottle heater switch went out everything. I think when I went to purge it shorted out the system.

Here's the thing. My buddy thought(and I thought) it would be cool to use the cigerette lighter as the purge button. Basically modded it to not lock in place and just be spring action. and then wired it up to act as a button. When the metal contacts touch it engages the purge solenoid. Has anybody done this before? I think this just crapped out my system.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 PM
FormerVendor

It sounds like you were pulling too many amps off of one circuit or short circuited the system when you modified the cig. lighter. Go over all of your fuses and see if any are popped. If so, I would recommend pulling some items off of 1 circuit and use a push button for the lighter idea.

Nick
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
It sounds like you were pulling too many amps off of one circuit or short circuited the system when you modified the cig. lighter. Go over all of your fuses and see if any are popped. If so, I would recommend pulling some items off of 1 circuit and use a push button for the lighter idea.

Nick
Thanks for the quick response Nick... I will check that stuff and see what I find.. Obviously Im not very good with electric wiring, etc.... My next nitrous purchase coming from you guys.(switch panel) Thanks again
Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Mine still malfunctions. Sitting in the staging lanes it works fine while randomly checking it,then bottle pressure gets to 1050 while staging and guess what, my purge won't work.
I'm in the market for a better purge noid. My NX noid seems to work to 1200 psi

Jay
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ls14jay
Mine still malfunctions. Sitting in the staging lanes it works fine while randomly checking it,then bottle pressure gets to 1050 while staging and guess what, my purge won't work.
I'm in the market for a better purge noid. My NX noid seems to work to 1200 psi

Jay
Jay,

Maybe we've covered this already but where is your solenoid grounded? Also make sure that the tower is torqued to spec if the nut was ever loosened.

Nick
Old 10-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Grounded the same place my whole kit is grounded. Also doesn't work directly connected to the battery. It's done it since day one. How does ground change with bottle pressure? Does the ground jump off the battery when the bottle gets hot? I even bought a second pressure gauge to verify that it wasn't to hot. Anyways I'm not angry about it yet. I am looking for a replacement on eBay. If it works flawlessly just swapping it in, then I may have a new opinion. If it doesn't I will admit I'm an idiot.