Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 stage nitrous question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 2 stage nitrous question

i just got my forged motor done and its built for nitrous. i already have a nitrous works 'wet' plate kit. i hear you arent supposed to go over the 150 horse jetting with that kit, and i want to run a 225 shot. my ? is, could i add a dry kit also? i would like to launch off a dry 75, and then turn on the 150 wet plate kit with a timer. can you mix wet and dry kits? or is this a bad idea? thanks.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just add another set of noids?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

ive heard unless you go direct port, too much nitrous thru a plate or nozzle 'wet systems' will cause fuel puddling in the intake & also uneven fuel/nitrous distribution to the cylinders. although, i do have an xtra set of solenoids i picked up from a swap meet, i thought it would be safer to add a dry kit. i already have big enough injectors to use with this set up, i just dont know if its a bad idea.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of lots of guys doing wet/dry 2 stages so thats ok. As far as wet plate it seems like the popular opinion is that over 250 a wet into the intake isn't that safe. But it sounds like you have a plan. Now all you need is something like the HSW microedge to control the 2 stages and you'll be set.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

Absolutely you can do a two stage set up with a dry and wet combo. If you have any questions just ask. This site is great at answering questions!

nick
Old 08-27-2009, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nickp
ive heard unless you go direct port, too much nitrous thru a plate or nozzle 'wet systems' will cause fuel puddling in the intake & also uneven fuel/nitrous distribution to the cylinders. although, i do have an xtra set of solenoids i picked up from a swap meet, i thought it would be safer to add a dry kit. i already have big enough injectors to use with this set up, i just dont know if its a bad idea.
You can mix. There is nothing wrong with that. If it were my car I would keep it simple for great results. Dual wet all the way...

We have cars spraying 300 wet through the front of the throttle body. The guys talking about fuel puddling have no idea what they are talking about. The truth is if the tune up is right that nitrou sand fuel mixture is pulled in and out of the motor in less than a split second. Knowing the intake platforms area of poor flow delivery is the key. The LS1 intake works awesome with a wet kit..

Next time one of those guys start with that fuel puddling crap ask them this..
If that was the case how are the boosted guys gettiong away with spraying strait methonal down the front of the throttle body? How is whipple getting away with putting two injectors spraying raw fuel right down the front of the throttle body..

The key is going to the right source for information and using the right products.

If I can be of any assistance let me know.
Thanks
Dave
Old 08-27-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

thanks alot for all the helpful responses. so i guess my next ? would be, if its okay to run a total of 225 thru the intake, would i just plumb in a nozzle in front of my plate? if so, what kind (i know there are different nozzle styles). or just add another plate? its on an lt1, i forgot to mention. thanks again guys
Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

My opinion is this (take it as a grain of salt)

You are pissing in the wind with the whole 2 stage idea. I would do 1 of 2 things. Jet your plate kit up, or sell it and buy a fogger. Hands down no questions asked. Its all in your tune-up. These people who post up nitrous backfires are complete retards when you look at there tune-ups.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
You can mix. There is nothing wrong with that. If it were my car I would keep it simple for great results. Dual wet all the way...

We have cars spraying 300 wet through the front of the throttle body. The guys talking about fuel puddling have no idea what they are talking about. The truth is if the tune up is right that nitrou sand fuel mixture is pulled in and out of the motor in less than a split second. Knowing the intake platforms area of poor flow delivery is the key. The LS1 intake works awesome with a wet kit..

Next time one of those guys start with that fuel puddling crap ask them this..
If that was the case how are the boosted guys gettiong away with spraying strait methonal down the front of the throttle body? How is whipple getting away with putting two injectors spraying raw fuel right down the front of the throttle body..

The key is going to the right source for information and using the right products.

If I can be of any assistance let me know.
Thanks
Dave
I personally haven't had any issues with fuel puddling but I have seen many cars with plate kits and nozzle kits on LT and LS1's have distribution problems with anywhere from a 150 to 250 shot. I'm not saying that you cannot spray that much through a plate or nozzle without hurting something but it is a little more dangerous than doing it with a DP. If you read the plugs it will tell the whole story. I don't care how well the plate/nozzle atomizes, the front two cylinders are not going to get as much nitrous and /or fuel as the rest of the cylinders. The mixture has to basically make a 90* turn when they enter the intake.
Blower and turbo engines do a little better because of the large amounts of air being forced into the intake.

Do you have any pics of the plugs that came out of any of these guys cars that are spraying 300 through a plate in the front?

To the OP, I had a 2 stage wet/dry on my old SS and it worked great. I will recommend spraying the wet off the line if you can hook it and bring in the dry afterward. Make sure that you have an adequate fuel system before you start spraying both kits though. Learn to read plugs and start off low on the timing just to be safe.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nickp
thanks alot for all the helpful responses. so i guess my next ? would be, if its okay to run a total of 225 thru the intake, would i just plumb in a nozzle in front of my plate? if so, what kind (i know there are different nozzle styles). or just add another plate? its on an lt1, i forgot to mention. thanks again guys
The LT1 intake is a different monster. Its does not flow as well as the LSX based intakes. With that in mind my advice differs for someone using a LT1 intake. First of all you are using one of the worst designed plates for a large shot. See that plate you have aims at the back of the intake. Due to the front runners being so close to the discharge it is common on the larger shots to over power the back runners missing the front runners all together. The problem starts to show up when you start moving up in the HP range. It may eventually cost you a piston.

My advice would be to go to dual nozzles before the throttle body and remove the plate. Or even better switch to our plate and dual stage it.. OUr plate design is the best attomizing option for a LT1 other than a directport.

Regaurdless what you do you need to learn to read plugs and watch the number 6 and 8 plug. They tend to run leaner on the LT1. I would stay away from the dry on the LT1. Keep it wet as long as you are running the stock computer system.

225 is doable if done right even with a directport. I have customers easily doing 250 with our LT1 plate on a single stage..

Dave

Quick Reply: 2 stage nitrous question