Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to decide on a kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trying to decide on a kit

hey guys. my question is between the TNT wet kit and the NOS dry kit, what would you put on a full bolt on car with an auto. i'm not planing on spraying more than a 100 shot. also not too worried about hiding it either. i just want the best performing, safest kit i can. thanks for the input.
Jordan
Old 11-28-2003, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well honestly if you want a trouble free kit at 100hp i would look into a NX wet kit. this kit runs a little richer then the TNT i think and is safer. also it is rated at the tires. the NOS dry is rated at the flywheel i belive.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by taqwache
well honestly if you want a trouble free kit at 100hp i would look into a NX wet kit. this kit runs a little richer then the TNT i think and is safer. also it is rated at the tires. the NOS dry is rated at the flywheel i belive.
i was wondering if that was all the mods you did to your camaro to get that amount of rwhp, all you have is 373s, and an ls1 edit?
Old 11-28-2003, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by taqwache
I beg to differ, NOS is MUCH safer than any wet kits. Your PCM controls everything in the car anyways and is capable of making any adjustment from sensor feedback. Also NOS 5177 comes with fuel pressure safety valve wich will shut off N2O if fuel pressure falls. NOS kit is more bang for value as it is pretty complete. With a wet there is a ton of safety accessories to buy. IMHO
Old 11-28-2003, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

well my buddy went from running 13.1 @ 108 to a 12.1 @ 119 with a TNT 100 shot on street tires...

I am getting the TNT kit...
Old 11-28-2003, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

If all you want to do is spray a 100 shot I'd get the NOS Dry kit, its very simple and hard to **** up. If you're looking to go 150ish I'd get the NX wet kit, and if you're looking to go 175 and up I'd go with a Noszle kit.

The real hard decision I've come across is I want to use a 100 shot for the most part but would like to Jet up to 175 by the end of next season, so would I get the wet kit or the direct port? Anyway...

IMHO I don't think TNT is all that great, too many bad dealings with them, and I'm biased also, honestly it's called TNT b/c ur **** will prolly go BOOM
Old 11-28-2003, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dry releys on the hope that the computer will see extra fuel and add accoringly. (hope is key word) works good, but 99% of users will not be rich on a dry kit.

Wet, is my personal preference, and NX is my favorite kit, due to 3 reasons.

Safe jetting, they jet thier kits conservative, in the AF department.

Reliable Ratings, most likely on a NX 100 shot, you will see around 100 to the wheels, unlike TNT where you might see 130 hp on a 100 shot. (not good if you think your only spraying a 100 shot...)

and finally,lifetime warranty on their solonioids as well

... this combined, with a large dealer network, provide a good product, for a good price.

Ryan.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow
dry releys on the hope that the computer will see extra fuel and add accoringly. (hope is key word) works good, but 99% of users will not be rich on a dry kit
Hope?? 99%. Dude unless you are running a dry kit, please just stick to giving info on what you are experiencing.

In any kit all relative parts have to be in good order. For the dry, it's the MAF. It is always wise to clean it on a regular basis anyway so it takes a more accurate reading.
I run a GMAF which runs pig rich anyway, and I'm still at 10.8 even with a 160 shot dry (0.040 twin jets). BTW the computer doesn't see extra fuel, it sees extra air (LOTS of it) and adjusts the fuel as long as the tune/injectors and f-pump allows it)
The trick with any N2O kit is to monitor AFR,(*) timing and fuel pressure. Autotap or similar is necessary for reliability.
Using N2O is not just bolt a kit on and lets GO. To do it right you need tuning knowledge and the limits of your setup.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:11 PM
Launching!

IMO, TNT F2 is the best kit out there, but it can be only as safe as your tuning.NOS is the biggest waste of money, and IS NOT AS SAFE AS A WET KIT. with NOS, you are depending on you pcm,MAF,fuel pump and injectors to do there job 100%(not always the case) to get the N20/fuel mix perfect. that, to me, thows too many variables into the equation that can spell disaster. wet kits already "mix "the N20 in the nozzle and draws fuel from the rail which in turn doesnt rely on the PCM to compensate fuel for the N2O entering the MAF. IMO, for simplicity, get the NX wet kit. for raw power, its hard to beat the TNT. trust me, i have tried both.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your correct, wrong wording, it sees extra airflow, and the computer adds the fuel.

and you are also correct, for a PROPER dry kit, you need tuning, and monitoring equipment. Something that most people do not use. Autotap, will give you an idea of whats going on, but not great information. I reccomend at least a couple of runs with a wideband, to be safe.

If i was to run a dry kit, spraying through a maf:

Kit $500
Injectors $250-350
Autotap/laptop $400-500
LS1 edit $550.
Dyno Time $50

And the information i posted about going lean, is my realworld wideband information on other cars similar to the poster,bolt on/header cars, without tuning, as that is what he has in his sig.

Don't buy brand X over brand Y just due to power, as power is all in the jetting.

Ryan.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

My opinion doesn't mean much because I am biased toward NX, but that's the reason I teamed up with NX. The thing that I love about the NX systems is that I sell a lot of systems to first time nitrous users and the systems are a pretty simple installation and if installed corrrectly they makes great power and are ready to go right out of the box. The systems stay on the safe side of the A/F mixture and make the horsepower they are rated. I am not saying other system don't do the same thing, but in my personal experience the NX systems are powerful, safe and dependable. Just my $.02 worth if its even worth that!
Old 11-29-2003, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

All N2O systems rely on some sort of equipment to do the job period. Whether it is noids, pump, injectors, or MAF etc...

In a nutshell, one has to acquire tuning knowledge and reaserch capabilities to operate any nitrous system "safely", which is a loose term in itself as we all know that nitrous is not safe, but it's a hell of a bang for the money. We all agree on that.

On N2O we are pushing the limits and all we can do is check, double check and re-check our systems, especialy when shots get bigger and bigger (Addicting).

Final advice is do not take shortcuts, be patient and put lots of effort to limit the possibilities of any damage while spraying.

The rest is all exileration (kinda like an orgasm, the more you pump the better she comes )
Old 11-29-2003, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

I have a Compucar Bottle in a bag kit that I converted to a permit install (mounted bottle in the spare tire well and wired it into the car with a wot) I have only run the 40 shot jets so far and the results have been great.
BTW I only paid $400 for the kit new
Old 11-29-2003, 04:33 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

5177 NOS kit is not safer! Just slower, less power! TNT kit will make you smile. Read up on the kits, but in the end you will want the TNT kit.