Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6-speed guys w/ MicroEdge, please read...

Old 09-26-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6-speed guys w/ MicroEdge, please read...

I'll try and make this short and sweet....
Nitrous setup: Single stage NOS wet kit, 150hp shot, FPSS, 1000psi bottle pressure (yes it's mounted correctly), purge, bottle heater, TR6 plugs, 4 degrees timing pulled in tune, and I just rebuilt my n20 and fuel solenoids.
Since I've installed my MicroEdge I've had a surging issue. TPS voltage and RPM are read perfectly through the controller so I know I've got everything hooked up correctly. Started troubleshooting and began w/ my fpss. I bypassed it, made a "Gear 3" run and the system triggered fine and pulled hard w/ no audible signs of detonation (I have no wideband or fuel pressure gauge and I am very aware of the repercussions that could arise). Figured that must have been my issue and I finally had some free time on my hands so I took it to the track...1/8th mile.
Set the MicroEdge for a "Gear 1" run and it didn't "trigger" on any of my runs
Tested my solenoids per the instruction manual by setting turning key to accessory position, setting the RPM to 0, turning the Leanout Delay to OFF, and bleeding all nitrous out of system. I then pressed down the gas pedal. The voltage reading rose and went above my "Trigger 1" setting, the MicroEdge went from "armed" to "trigger," however my fuel and nitrous solenoids did not activate.
Could this be some sort of ground issue or is it simply something in the settings???
I hate to do this b/c it's long but here are what all my settings were at during my runs....
RPM PULSE: Coil/Plug
RPM Sens: Mid
Trig Mode: Positive
Wideband: Stock O2
Stags Gr1: None
Stags Gr2: Stage 1
Stags Gr3: Stage 1
Stags Gr4: Stage 1
Launch, Shift, Pedal Delays all set to: 0
Leanout: Off
Min RPM 1: 3000
Max RPM 1: 5800
Min RPM 2: 10000
Max RPM 2: 10000
Shift RPM: 4000
Drop RPM: 1000
Reset RPM: 1500
Lowest Gr: 1
Trigger 1: 4.40
Trigger 2: Max Setting (can't remember exactly what it was)
Reset: 1.00
Min O2v: Tried this @ .400mV and .750mV w/ no luck
Max AFR: 13.50
Min AFR: 10.00

Any info/insight would be appreciated fellas and thanks in advance
Old 09-26-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The more information the better. Search my name I had several posts concerning my problems with the MicroEdge, they were all user error. Try dropping your trigger voltage to 4.35 or 4.30 then try the system test again. What's the voltage reading at WOT? Also I believe your Shift RPM is set wrong. What RPM are you shifting at? Set it to that. I'm shifting at 6200 and had it set at 4800. When I would shift, the MicroEdge would never see a drop from 4800 and would not activate in 2nd, 3rd or 4th. You're Drop RPM might be alittle too high also, not sure how much RPM usually drops in an M6, but I set mine around 400 to make sure it sees it.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

I was thinking Trigger was the problem too, mine developed that problem...so I just lowered it to maybe between 3/4 throttle and full throttle
Old 09-26-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. That all makes sense but how would that explain this portion of my problem..... "Tested my solenoids per the instruction manual by setting turning key to accessory position, setting the RPM to 0, turning the Leanout Delay to OFF, and bleeding all nitrous out of system. I then pressed down the gas pedal. The voltage reading rose and went above my "Trigger 1" setting, the MicroEdge went from "armed" to "trigger," however my fuel and nitrous solenoids did not activate."

Originally Posted by Grifter
The more information the better. Search my name I had several posts concerning my problems with the MicroEdge, they were all user error. Try dropping your trigger voltage to 4.35 or 4.30 then try the system test again. What's the voltage reading at WOT? Also I believe your Shift RPM is set wrong. What RPM are you shifting at? Set it to that. I'm shifting at 6200 and had it set at 4800. When I would shift, the MicroEdge would never see a drop from 4800 and would not activate in 2nd, 3rd or 4th. You're Drop RPM might be alittle too high also, not sure how much RPM usually drops in an M6, but I set mine around 400 to make sure it sees it.
Voltage @ WOT is 4.55
I'm shifting @ 6200 RPM as well

I'll keep messing w/ the settings, thanks again guys.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kc533
Thanks for the info guys. That all makes sense but how would that explain this portion of my problem..... "Tested my solenoids per the instruction manual by setting turning key to accessory position, setting the RPM to 0, turning the Leanout Delay to OFF, and bleeding all nitrous out of system. I then pressed down the gas pedal. The voltage reading rose and went above my "Trigger 1" setting, the MicroEdge went from "armed" to "trigger," however my fuel and nitrous solenoids did not activate."

Voltage @ WOT is 4.55
I'm shifting @ 6200 RPM as well

I'll keep messing w/ the settings, thanks again guys.
My guess is the Trigger Voltage. I had the same problem, WOT was about 4.40v for me. I put it at 4.40v but it didn't SPRAY, lowered it to 4.35v which is practically no difference in pedal position and I got them to activate.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

What were your shutdown settings at while bench testing? What version software? Where are the microedge and solenoids grounded at? It sounds like either a setting issue or a grounding issue. Do me a favor and either jump over and fill out a support ticket or give us a call on monday so we can walk you through it.

Nick
Old 09-28-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Spoke w/ HSW on the phone today and by the looks of it, my issue appears to be setting related. Until I get a chance to track test it again I can't say for sure, however I was able to resolve one problem, which was this.....
"Tested my solenoids per the instruction manual by turning key to accessory position, setting the RPM to 0, turning the Leanout Delay to OFF, and bleeding all nitrous out of system. I then pressed down the gas pedal. The voltage reading rose and went above my "Trigger 1" setting, the MicroEdge went from "armed" to "trigger," however my fuel and nitrous solenoids did not activate."
The gentleman from HSW clearly pointed out to me that when testing solenoid operation, the "Stags Gr1" must be set to 'Stage 1' instead of where I had left it at 'None' (to lockout 1st gear during my runs). That makes absolute perfect sense and I have no idea why that didn't click in my head. Did the aforementioned and my solenoids happily activated.
I'll update on my next track outing and again, BIG thanks to HSW for taking the time w/ me on the phone

Last edited by kc533; 09-28-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Problem officially solved, completely setting related. Couldn't wait for the track so I took her out for a little "road" test and everything works great. Thanks again for everybody's help.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kc533
Problem officially solved, completely setting related. Couldn't wait for the track so I took her out for a little "road" test and everything works great. Thanks again for everybody's help.
Awesome, glad to hear you got everything worked out. HSW is great to deal with. I had the same problems; the MicroEdge is very easy to use but like anything it takes time to get used to.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grifter
My guess is the Trigger Voltage. I had the same problem, WOT was about 4.40v for me. I put it at 4.40v but it didn't SPRAY, lowered it to 4.35v which is practically no difference in pedal position and I got them to activate.
I installed my microedge today, and I had to do the same exact thing with my trigger voltage. I'm really glad I came across this thread last night! Thanks Grifter

As for the MicroEdge itself; I'm very impressed. This thing is worth every penny!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sofls1
I installed my microedge today, and I had to do the same exact thing with my trigger voltage. I'm really glad I came across this thread last night! Thanks Grifter

As for the MicroEdge itself; I'm very impressed. This thing is worth every penny!
Glad I could help!

Search this Thread