Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this dyno graph look right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does this dyno graph look right?

Hey guys my friend got his h/c lt1 tuned the other day and I have some questions. I went with him, but I stayed out of the way while they were making the pulls so I did not see the graphs until we got back. Here it is Does this dyno graph look right?-austinpilgrim_10-03-09.jpg . He got a NA tune "blue lines", 75 shot tune "green lines", and a 150 shot tune "red lines". The NA tune went well, but as you can see it was a little "lean" between 4800 to 5600 rpms. So the tuner added a little fuel in this range but did not make another pull since it was such a small adjustment.

Next he made a pull with a 75 shot. The kit is a TnT wet plate kit, the fuel pressure was at about 45 psi and the bottle pressure was about 950 psi. It is set up on a WOT and he does not have a window switch yet so the guy making the pulls was suppose to throw the arming switch on at 3000 rpms. He didn't make any adjustments to the tune for the 75 shot. This is where things kind of look odd to me. Notice how the torque on the 75 shot slowly rises until the peak at about 5100 rpms. I thought it would be more of a spike instead of a slope. Meaning I thought the torque would spike up and then the torque curve of the 75 shot and NA pull would be closer to parallel. Then looking at the AFR notice how "lean" the pull is until just before the peak torque where then it goes rich. At first when I was looking at the AFR I thought this point was when they actually activated the nitrous since there was such a change, but then I looked up and saw that the torque values had already exceeded the values of the NA pull. So I know the nitrous had already been activated.

The same happened for the 150 shot pull where 4* of timing was pulled. Notice that if they would not have croped out the sub 5200 rpm values that the torque curve values would have been very very close to that of the 75 shot pull. What is that all about? Also I didn't like that they croped out so much of the pulls, isn't that kind of odd? Anyhow I don't know much about nitrous and this maybe normal I just wanted someone else's opinion.

Thanks,
Chase
Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Launching!

there should be a quicker jump then that, Can you get a better picture hard to see. And 150 should be a much bigger jump than that.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jman54002
there should be a quicker jump then that, Can you get a better picture hard to see. And 150 should be a much bigger jump than that.
Can you not click on the picture and it enlarge? It does on my computer, but if it want on yours let me know.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Launching!

yea I clicked on the picture, just can't make out the number at the top for sure. I normally see a just instant to the shot you put in. Your look way to slow...is it progressive? maybe some else has een this a little more but i say it is way off...reallyoff on the 150 shot.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Do you by chance happen to know or was soemone watching to see what the Fuel Pressure was doing??
Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
Do you by chance happen to know or was soemone watching to see what the Fuel Pressure was doing??
I have no clue about the fuel pressure. Do you have an idea what could be happening?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

granted it's an LT1 vs my stock LS1 but those numbers look way low on gains for a tnt kit. my stock LS1 on a tnt kit at 150 put down over 500 tq and 450 whp through an auto and stock exhaust.

might want to check everything and put it back on the dyno.

It looks like a very small turbocharger is coming online, that definitely does not look like a nitrous graph for sure.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Launching!

Open link in new window or tab
Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Oso SS
granted it's an LT1 vs my stock LS1 but those numbers look way low on gains for a tnt kit. my stock LS1 on a tnt kit at 150 put down over 500 tq and 450 whp through an auto and stock exhaust.

might want to check everything and put it back on the dyno.

It looks like a very small turbocharger is coming online, that definitely does not look like a nitrous graph for sure.
yea i agree. my bolt on car with a 125 shot made over 500 tq.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Silver2000WS-6
Hey guys my friend got his h/c lt1 tuned the other day and I have some questions. I went with him, but I stayed out of the way while they were making the pulls so I did not see the graphs until we got back. Here it is Attachment 200283 . He got a NA tune "blue lines", 75 shot tune "green lines", and a 150 shot tune "red lines". The NA tune went well, but as you can see it was a little "lean" between 4800 to 5600 rpms. So the tuner added a little fuel in this range but did not make another pull since it was such a small adjustment.

Next he made a pull with a 75 shot. The kit is a TnT wet plate kit, the fuel pressure was at about 45 psi and the bottle pressure was about 950 psi. It is set up on a WOT and he does not have a window switch yet so the guy making the pulls was suppose to throw the arming switch on at 3000 rpms. He didn't make any adjustments to the tune for the 75 shot. This is where things kind of look odd to me. Notice how the torque on the 75 shot slowly rises until the peak at about 5100 rpms. I thought it would be more of a spike instead of a slope. Meaning I thought the torque would spike up and then the torque curve of the 75 shot and NA pull would be closer to parallel. Then looking at the AFR notice how "lean" the pull is until just before the peak torque where then it goes rich. At first when I was looking at the AFR I thought this point was when they actually activated the nitrous since there was such a change, but then I looked up and saw that the torque values had already exceeded the values of the NA pull. So I know the nitrous had already been activated.

The same happened for the 150 shot pull where 4* of timing was pulled. Notice that if they would not have croped out the sub 5200 rpm values that the torque curve values would have been very very close to that of the 75 shot pull. What is that all about? Also I didn't like that they croped out so much of the pulls, isn't that kind of odd? Anyhow I don't know much about nitrous and this maybe normal I just wanted someone else's opinion.

Thanks,
Chase
Get a pressure gauge on there and see what the fuel pressure is up to. Looks like its having a hard time keeping up with the hit. Is it a stock pump?

Nick
Old 10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Get a pressure gauge on there and see what the fuel pressure is up to. Looks like its having a hard time keeping up with the hit. Is it a stock pump?

Nick
I'll get him to purchse one but the pump is a brand new Walbro 255 lph.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

was it a auto or 6 speed? Was the converter locked? Was the clutch slipping? You would be able to look at the mph graph and see what was happening.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a graph of a slipping clutch with the MPH on the bottom graph.

Notice how the MPH is a straight line and then it grabs and really takes off. Just make sure that stuff is right before coming to to many conclusions.
Attached Thumbnails Does this dyno graph look right?-slipping-clutch.jpg  
Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
was it a auto or 6 speed? Was the converter locked? Was the clutch slipping? You would be able to look at the mph graph and see what was happening.
It is an automatic with a stock converter.

Last edited by Silver2000WS-6; 10-12-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think we figured it out. He started having problems with the car running around ideal so started looking and found two kinks in the fuel line inside the tank. This makes sense because when he sprayed it the torque curve had a long slope and was lean. Which is obviously because it took a moment for the fuel pump to get the pressure caught back up due to the kinks.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Glad to know it was a easy fix.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Silver2000WS-6
I think we figured it out. He started having problems with the car running around ideal so started looking and found two kinks in the fuel line inside the tank. This makes sense because when he sprayed it the torque curve had a long slope and was lean. Which is obviously because it took a moment for the fuel pump to get the pressure caught back up due to the kinks.

Nick