Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please evaluate this setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please evaluate this setup

I ended up selling the S/C and am planning on going with a nitrous setup. Take a look at my planned setup and let me know if there are any flaws. I already have everything listed below with the exception of the stuff marked '*'

Stock Shortblock
TR 224/.563/112
Kooks 1.75" Headers(ordered)
2.5" Cats, X-pipe, and Corsa
Donaldson, LS6 intake, Stock TB/MAF
*NX Wet Kit ~125 shot
*NX Gen II(purge/heater/blowdown/ect.)
*AFR 205 Heads, stock chamber size or slightly smaller
*3.90 Gears(1st gear same as 3.73 in an M6 F-Body)

I can do everything marked * with what I got for the SC. The only thing I'm not set on is the heads. I'll probably wait to see some real-world results, but there what I'm looking at right now. If they dont perform, for the money, I'll probably go with a set of TEA 5.3s.

What do you think?(other than I'll need a new clutch)

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-08-2003, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

That sounds like a great combonation and I think it would increase the horsepwer and torque numbers in your sig quite a bit. I would also recommend a window switch to go with your nitrous system. Its a fairly inexpesive safety device that can pay for itself very quickly!

If you would like some pricing or if you have any questions about NX systems feel free to email me sales@speedtechnologies.net or call me at 417-581-1175 and I would be happy to help.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Restricted User

Yeah it will add up some numbers, but I would say get the Walbro fuel pump or similar, its always nice to be able to up the jets if ya like. And get rid of that cam, the TR 224s dont do a lot with nitrous compared to some even smaller but biased for nitrous. I used to run that cam, didnt like it. just my .02
Old 12-08-2003, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

CAT3 brings up a good point. Upgrading your fuel system is always a good idea with nitrous. Especially since there are very few people that can resist the urge to jet up the nitrous system. A buddy bought a system from me and he planned to only run a 100 shot and never anymore. We went to the track together and he made one pass on the 100 shot and the 100 shot jets came out and the 150 shot jets went in. After two passes the 150's came out and in went the 175's! Nitrous is a lot of fun and few have the will power not to step up the shot!
Old 12-08-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Forgot to add some of the fuel items. Was looking at dropping in the racrtronics and larger injectors(for NA)... 42#ers went with the kit when I sold it. And I also have the Harlan window switch on order.

Do yo guys really think the 224 would hold me back a lot? I would rather not have to switch it out unless I had to. With my driving style, I only be on the juice infrequently and at the track. Im mainly interested in torque, which is why I ended up selling the blower. The centrifugal just didnt put out enough grunt down low. Above 4500 it pulled hard. I'm looking for a strong street setup that can run fairly well at the track.

Mike
Old 12-13-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in the same situation....which to buy supercharger vs nitrous.It looks like the motor isn't under as much stress w/ occasional 100 shot NOS usage as compared to a motor that is always under some boost from a supercharger and the tunning issues can be nightmares.With a mild nitrous setup you retain your factory tune and drivability. Not to mention when its time to sell the car, just pull the NOS out and call it an afternoon.

I look at it from this point:
-NOS setup....$750
-new motor (if there's a F@CK UP)....$3000
TOTAL=$3750

-supercharger....$5000
-labor/tune.....$1500
TOTAL=$6500 and always needing slight retunes

and yes I have had FORCED INDUCTION on previous car, but now I'm trying to go nitrous also.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Got your IM and replied there.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:46 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAT3
....And get rid of that cam, the TR 224s dont do a lot with nitrous compared to some even smaller but biased for nitrous. I used to run that cam, didnt like it. just my .02
I agree ... that is a relatively bad cam to spray.

220/224 114 or 224/227 114 would be much better choices. I have heard also that the higher LSA takes to nitrous better then the narrower LSA's do. (ie 114 would be better then 112, which would be better then 110, etc) I believe TR's "nitrous cam" is pretty good also.

The cam won't make a huge difference when you are spraying a smaller shot, but if you step above 100-125 range, you will start to see a pretty significant difference, especially with a cam that has a longer exhaust duration.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

My main concern is the cam. Lets just assume that I wont have the urge to up the jetting and will not spray any higher than a 125 shot. Under that limitation, would swapping cams to a more nitrous friendly cam show a significant difference? Just keep in mind, I'm more concerned with NA than on the juice. Also, I'm not trying to squeak every last tenth out of the setup. I just want a solid street car that will see occasional track use.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:42 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can honestly limit yourself at 125 (it's tough, we know ...), then swapping cams won't make a huge difference.
If you are going to go over that 125 shot as I was saying before, it would probably be beneficial to swap it out.
I am switching my setup to spray a much larger shot in the spring time, and I am changing my cam out to a more nitrous friendly cam in about a month.

Probably something like a 224-227 112 or 114LSA or really almost any cam with a longer exhaust duration will be a good bet. (112 would show you higher N/A gains, while the 114 would probably show you better nitrous runs, while sacrificing some n/a power)
Old 12-14-2003, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Cool,

Looks like I'll be keeping the cam. I really didnt want to swap it out. Like someone else said in another thread(112 vs 114), I'm building it for NA and the N20 is just icing on the cake.

I'm figuring this setup should be good for 400+NA and 500+ on the juice. Then all I'll need is a decent clutch and gears(3.90s).

Thanks,

Mike