Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12.5afr on 150 wet shot, add fuel with hsw interface?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12.5afr on 150 wet shot, add fuel with hsw interface?

OK, I have an AEM wideband mounted in my car and Ive made some runs with the spray and its showing 12.5 AFR. My tuner said thats a bit lean. I have an HSW interface hooked up and was wondering if I should use the fueling function to add a bit of fuel when spraying. If so, how much to start and where would my ideal afr be? Car is an 02 ws6 m6, pretty stock except for full exhaust, lid, mail tune, TR6 plugs, and an HSW 150hp wet plate. (i also have the interface pulling 3 degrees when spraying.) thanks for the help.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

yup you could certainly use the interface to adjust. for larger drops i would just swap fuel jets. What are you looking to get to? around 12.2 is ok in my book.

I would pull more than three degrees though, do you have HPtuners or a friend that could help you out? you can pull any amount of timing you want with the interface and you can also verify the timing is being pulled.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

You are only pulling 3° on a 150 shot? I would double that number and recheck the afr.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

As far as the timing, It seems like if you ask 20 people, you'll get 20 different answers. Some say these cars will take it no problem with none pulled (like I did for my first two bottles-first day at the track), others say to pull at least six. My tuner (ill leave him unnamed-I forgot to mention he "tweaked" my mail order tune) said the three Im pulling should be plenty, (I should also add that I think he adjusted my timing tables slightly) Im not sure what the base is at now, but he knew about the interface pulling three on the spray and said I would be good. Im not really concerned about the timing, just fine tuning the AFR because he felt that was a little lean. Thanks for the quick responses guys, but I wont be able to start playing around till I get my Microedge back from the doorbuster upgrade sale

Mike... Just to clarify, I cant pull anymore timing than 3 if I needed to with the interface (stock LS1) without changing more tables.. correct? I dont have access to HP tuners or anything, maybe someday
Old 11-14-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
Mike... Just to clarify, I cant pull anymore timing than 3 if I needed to with the interface (stock LS1) without changing more tables.. correct? I dont have access to HP tuners or anything, maybe someday
Your tuner should do it for next to free...its just one column in the IAT retard table.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

I'd run a non projected tip plug (ie not the TR6) and something colder.

read the plugs to back up the a/f...that's not to lean at all depending on what the plugs look like.

Chad
Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
I'd run a non projected tip plug (ie not the TR6) and something colder.

read the plugs to back up the a/f...that's not to lean at all depending on what the plugs look like.

Chad
I agree with Chad, If you can get pretty good at reading plugs you will really know if your wide band if telling the truth. Mine is off a little bit.

It would not hurt to leave it at pulling 3 degree's and putting a 7 plug in it. Pull a few plugs after a good hard n2o run, shut it down right when you let off of it. Pull over and pull them. look for a little whiteness and see if you can find a burn stripe on the ground strap. I think it should be in the bend of it.

I sprayed a 150 shot without pulling any timing at all. I think it was 28 deg. It ran great but the plug was a little white so I only did this three times. It ran a best of 10.82 cam only full weight car M6.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for these responses guys, Ill be out to the track tomorrow, maybe I can coast it down once or twice after some runs and check a few of them. Ill also look into switching to the tr7's
Old 11-21-2009, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
Thanks for these responses guys, Ill be out to the track tomorrow, maybe I can coast it down once or twice after some runs and check a few of them. Ill also look into switching to the tr7's
whatever plug you switch to make sure its a non projected tip...check out the plug guide.

and for a clean plug reading no coasting...click off at the traps and tow back, or replace a few on the return road w/ some spare plugs and drive it back.

Chad
Old 11-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

If you need to, my friend has HPTuners and he will lower your timing I'm sure if you pay to unlock the credits. We are in Cape Coral too.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why dont you just try a bigger fuel jet in your wet kit? and as stated 12.2afr is what im going to shoot for this spring (thats where my NA tune is about anyway)
Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Each and ever car is different, my set up is Lid, TSP Td's, Pacesetter Lt's and Zex 150 shot and 42 lbs inj. My AFR is high 10.X and it put down 468hp-610tq, my fuel jet is a lil to big- reason why my afr's are so low but I would be shooting for 11.2-11.8. I had one degree of timing pulled just to be safe and even on stock timing there was ZERO knock. Hope that helps.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My take...

12.5 if its correct is probably still rich. but without looking on the plug youl never know. and 3 degrees is probably not enough. Get some good plugs in it. br7ef. make a pass kill it and look at the plugs. in the 1/4 you barely want a timming mark and a very thin fuel ring. Again you have to look at the plugs.

Quick Reply: 12.5afr on 150 wet shot, add fuel with hsw interface?