Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dry nitrous tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dry nitrous tuning

well nitrous here i come. i'm finally gettin ready for my single nozzle hsw sudden impact kit.(dry) so i'll surely have some questions later on wiring it up and so fourth. this is my first nitrous set up ever. so i have hptuners and from what i understand, the timing retard can be done threw the iat with the nitrous hits. how about fuel. what all do i need to do? i currently have factory fuel system. will upgrade injectors pretty soon most likely.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

it depends on what size shot you are running
Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Launching!

im thinkin ima start out with a 75 then turn the wick up to about a 150.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

You should be fine sprayin 75-100 with stock injectors. Best way to know for sure is to log your injector duty cycle.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Launching!

i'll definatly be keepin an eye on that. but as far as not running lean..the factory maf, tune, iat, etc...should pick up the nitrous correct?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rggbly
...from what i understand, the timing retard can be done threw the iat with the nitrous hits. how about fuel. what all do i need to do?
Since you have tuning software, with a simple wiring modification, your IAT tables can pull timing and add fuel. If you add fuel using the IAT PE table you can place your nitrous nozzle downstream from the MAF sensor. This is much more reliable than simply spraying the MAF and expecting it to add fuel. A single nozzle after the MAF works very well to at least 150 hp.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Launching!

what sort of wiring modification are we talking about??
Old 12-06-2009, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

get the harris speed works controler.
This is the only way i'd run a dry kit..
http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/prod...&cat=57&page=1

The wiring mod he is talking about is to tap into the iat sensor with a relay and resistor then tune the tables to dial in your afr. This works ok but the controler is much more accurate and easily adjusted.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spaz1
get the harris speed works controler.
This is the only way i'd run a dry kit..
http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/prod...&cat=57&page=1

The wiring mod he is talking about is to tap into the iat sensor with a relay and resistor then tune the tables to dial in your afr. This works ok but the controler is much more accurate and easily adjusted.
I agree 1000%. I have a dry plate kit on my car with the HSW Interface and it is awesome.

I think your stock injectors may be pushing it. My car has red top 30# SVO FRPP injectors and they are usually around $100 used. But if you plan on doing a 150 shot, you may want to go bigger than that.

Last edited by jetlag; 12-06-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

i'm definately goin to at least a 42# injector. and do i need a wideband for the a/f with that controller?
Old 12-06-2009, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

no it's not nessary it is pretty close with the settings but since you are swaping out the injectors and going to be messing around with the ifr tables. It wouldn't hert to get one so you could see if you are in the ball park.. I would also pull the plugs and check them out after a hard pull just to make sure you aren't lean.. Also drop the heat range at least 1 on the plugs if you are going to run 150 shot.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Launching!

well i'm trying to get a full safe system together and there are way to many decisions to make. i've been lookin at the microedge progressive controller and the interface duo. Is there anything simpiler or cheaper? I'm not dead set on a progressive controller either...just keepin it as an option if i can fit it into my budget. as of right now i just have the basic hsw single nozzle dry kit. basically i need some opinions on the all in one deals that aren't like hptuners that takes years to learn how to master.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Launching!

bumpp
Old 12-27-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

well nitrous here i come. i'm finally gettin ready for my single nozzle hsw sudden impact kit.(dry) so i'll surely have some questions later on wiring it up and so fourth. this is my first nitrous set up ever. so i have hptuners and from what i understand, the timing retard can be done threw the iat with the nitrous hits. how about fuel. what all do i need to do? i currently have factory fuel system. will upgrade injectors pretty soon most likely.
There's a better way to do the timing pull if you have HP Tuner, no IAT stuff to mess with. It's a proved and well established route to take. Once set-up, it will automatically pull timing only when spraying and has no effect on your N/A timing. It is all self contained in the Tune with no wiring to add, and no resistors. But can't remember if I put my write-up in PDF form yet (some of my write ups have been converted) so as not to link to my site, as I am not a sponsor here. Anyway, we have a lot of tuning for the Dry, information there, even all the different ways to do the IAT mods including wiring schematics, and nozzle tuning/locations for optimum A/F ratio.

I looked and the Timing Pull write up has not been converted. If you would like to see it, the work to convert to PDF can be done today? It's a lot of bloody work, but somewhat fun none the less. Here is an example of what can be done with HP Tuner (link below), it's the Injector Scaling write-up converted to PDF. Most running the dry, and often N/A guys, will eventually need to up-size the injectors for larger N2O hits. So I put together an easy to understand and use How-To. Let me know and will gladly get to work on it.

The main reason I haven't converted this one yet is the fact that the math for figuring size has changed a little, or should I say it has been refined to allow closer estimates of HP vs Size needed. the old math was fine, but was very safe and conservative, meaning we often ended up with injectors bigger than needed.
Injector Sizing and Scaling How-To

there are ways, and many of us have done it, to tune the dry hits safely with out using the Interface. However, if one can afford it, IMO, the Interface is the way to go for tuning the Dry hits and also using the after the MAF plate.
Robert
Old 12-27-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i'm trying to get a full safe system together and there are way to many decisions to make. i've been lookin at the microedge progressive controller and the interface duo. Is there anything simpiler or cheaper? I'm not dead set on a progressive controller either...just keepin it as an option if i can fit it into my budget. as of right now i just have the basic hsw single nozzle dry kit. basically i need some opinions on the all in one deals that aren't like hptuners that takes years to learn how to master.
Like I said in the last post, HP Tuner can allow full tuning of the dry hit. The thing is this, it's a little harder and more complicated than using the Interface at least for some. You could start out with HP Tuner only, considering $$ outlay, then later when the money is there, upgrade to the piggy back controllers you choose. The MicroEdge Plus is sweat no doubt, but lower cost alternatives are out there to get started with, and likely you will not need all of the extras the MicroEdge offers, at this point. Maybe just a basic window SW for now? You can always sell it later. many have set-up basic dry hits on the less expensive side, I know that is how I started out with the dry and a NOS 5177 kit years ago. yes, lots of decisions to make, but that is great really, lots of options that will fit everyones needs. Let me know if I can help in any way at all, the dry technology is my passion. Lots of good advice has been given so far, most of these guys understand the Dry tech pretty good.
Robert
Old 12-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Launching!

k well that answers my injector question. looks like im gonna need some 50lb'ers. That helped alot Robert. it gave me some of the questions to ask that i didn't know how to, haha. i DO have hptuners and i'm not advanced in my tuning stages. but i really do want to learn how to. and a window switch for right now might not be a bad idea. i dont need the progressive for smaller shots. so let me try to get you to knock down some questions. what are the basics in tuning for the dry shot in hptuners? and could i get a little help trying to understand exactly how the electronics(such as microedge,progressive,interface) stuff like that hooks up with a nitrous system. i don't get the wiring part. this has already been a big help though. thanks robert
Old 12-27-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

k well that answers my injector question. looks like im gonna need some 50lb'ers. That helped alot Robert. it gave me some of the questions to ask that i didn't know how to, haha. i DO have hptuners and i'm not advanced in my tuning stages. but i really do want to learn how to. and a window switch for right now might not be a bad idea. i dont need the progressive for smaller shots. so let me try to get you to knock down some questions. what are the basics in tuning for the dry shot in hptuners? and could i get a little help trying to understand exactly how the electronics(such as microedge,progressive,interface) stuff like that hooks up with a nitrous system. i don't get the wiring part. this has already been a big help though. thanks robert
It's really no that hard tuning with HP Tuner. The hardest part for me was finding my way around and being comfortable doing so. Once at this level, the write-ups I do are step by step, just knowing where I am talking about is the main feat. So I would just get into the program and start looking at the tables and hitting help. Help tells what each table is for and that way you will know whether you will need to be coming back or not. Give me some time and I will get the timing pull in PDF format so I can host it here. It's pretty easy to do, though looks a little overwhelming at 1st. Check out, a search, on some of the nozzle tuning threads I have done and been a part of. This will shed light on how to get a good a/f ratio from the get go, via proper nozzle(s) locating/location.

If you don't hear back just give me a PM or E-amil shout, as I usually have about 20 things going at once and often space something off, LOL.
Robert
Old 12-28-2009, 03:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here you go. It took a few hours to do and fine tune, but whew, it's done. A PDF reader will be needed though. I think the Adobe version is the prefered reader.

Lets see if the crybaby crys and goes and tells on me now, LOL.

Dry Timing Pull Write-Up and How-To

Robert
Old 12-31-2009, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts

Robert, you're awsome...

I just got the same kit the OP has. I also have the Interface and Microedge though. Your site is an indespensible tool in helping the 'new to nitrous' guys like us.

I'll send you some pics and a little write-up about it when I get it all installed.

Rggbly, best of success with your project!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by C5_Pete
Robert, you're awsome...

I just got the same kit the OP has. I also have the Interface and Microedge though. Your site is an indespensible tool in helping the 'new to nitrous' guys like us.

I'll send you some pics and a little write-up about it when I get it all installed.

Rggbly, best of success with your project!
Thank you, glad I could help. I always look forward to how-to type write-ups, and guys willing to share their knowledge and experiances. I have a couple that i need to get ready to host that were submitted. One is a complete how-to on setting up the Interface on a LT1, invaluable for the newbie, and they guy did great with pictures. thanks
Robert

Quick Reply: dry nitrous tuning