Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continue with turbos/lots of money or do stand alone nitrous?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Continue with turbos/lots of money or do stand alone nitrous?

My motor is about to finally be finished up at the machine shop. Iron block 370 with stock crank, Eagle rods, Probe dished pistons, ported 243 heads, ported Vic Jr, and an elbow from Aaron. Using the new Comp Cams short stroke hydraulic race lifters and 921 springs. Rebuit the rockers with the Comp Cams kit. Compression will be at 9.3:1. Cam is a Comp Cams LSL lobed 243/247 .624/.624 on a 116 lobe sep, 114 ICL, and 2 degrees of advance ground in.

I already have a set of C6 manifolds, two JGS 50mm wastegates, an ebay twin turbo intercooler, and an Aeromotive A1000 pump. I use the car on the street quite a bit and like to drag race occasionally. Should I keep going and do twin T70's and spend untold amounts of cash getting it right or go with a stand alone nitrous setup in the 250-400hp range? My cheap and practical side says nitrous. My cool side says turbos.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gonna wanna do something to raise the compression if your gonan spray that much nitrous and I would have thought you would have gotten the c/r down into the 8's for a twin turbo setup. personally i would keep going witht the twins if the money is there, be a badass street and drag car. plus spraying that big of shot, bottle refils will certainly add up fast.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

The other thing is that nitrous seems easier to get right and work on myself. I can install everything without having to pay somebody to fab everything and hope it all works correctly. I can also still use my stock returnless fuel system for the motor and run a low pressure stand alone for the nitrous. I guess I'm really trying to talk myself into it, lol. I just don't want to constantly be messing with stuff.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spraying that much will certainly need the use of a direct port system, and if you don't know how to plumb one you are going to end up paying for someone to do it....

It also sounds like you already made up your mind and you are just waiting for someone to approve.... It always happens to me also...
Old 12-24-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm just frustrated because the engine shop has had the motor since August. Now it's finally getting done. Never tell an engine builder to not worry about it and take their time. It's going to be a killer motor, just A LOT longer than I wanted to wait. I even started a new project in the mean time of a Class 5 Baja Bug to race in the Whiplash series here in Arizona. I just want my car on the road and nitrous is the easiest way to do that. Wish I wouldn't have sold my Kooks now though. Oh well.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboAv
The other thing is that nitrous seems easier to get right and work on myself.

I just don't want to constantly be messing with stuff.
Its easy... LOL

And you can spray 250-400 without "messing with stuff". LOL

Old 12-24-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Its easy... LOL

In case you missed the LOLs, he is saying it's not easy and you'll be doing a lot of "messing with stuff;" i.e lots of time spent tuning it. Don't fool yourself. N2O has a steep and expensive learning curve if get it wrong and your engine will be right back in that machine shop for another 5 months.

But, I agree, turbo tuning can be a big hassle also.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Its easy... LOL

Lol. So easy a caveman can do it
Old 12-24-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not going to strap 250 or 400 on right away and just run it. I will start low from 100hp and work my way up as I get used to the car. In my mind nitrous is more of an exact science that as long as I do it safe and in steps I can get it right. I've had a fancy AVC-R boost controller malfunction and give me a boost spike that cost me a motor in the past. I don't know. Mainly I just miss driving my car. I could just get that Harris plate that's on sale and drive it for a while the rest of the season here in Phoenix and tear it back down during the summer. I know the Nitrous Outlet guys said I could spray 300hp through their plate with no issues. Since I also have a Vic Jr I could get a carb plate, but that might not clear my hood. Nitrous outlet also installs a spray bar directly into the Vic Jr if I want to go that way.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I say stick with the turbos. My car has been broke since the beginning of August. Before I blew my motor (ls1) up I had bought an OFI hotside from a member on here. The plan was to build a badass turbo setup (434 lsx block,ETP heads, 4l80e). I then came across an l92 motor longblock with 17,000 miles for 800 bucks and I just couldn't pass up the deal. I am now building a 416 for a 300 shot and I am already 4500 bucks in it and have to spend a bit more.

If the money is there keep with the turbo setup. Nothing is cooler that the sound of a turbo car flying down the street or strip. Nothing is like the feel of a turbo car either. Just stick it out, you will be glad you did.

I still plan on going with my turbo setup but I will have some fun first on the bottle with my new setup. Good luck.

Search this Thread