Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous rules for 275 at the LSX shootout...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nitrous rules for 275 at the LSX shootout...

Wondering who is legal and of those that are legal who is planning on showing up?

Rules...
The LSX Real Street class is a heads up class that is designed for GM bodied and LS powered cars with a power adder that are running on a True 10.5 wide slick or DOT 275 drag radial tire. GM Bodied and GM LS powered vehicles only. Entries are limited to only one type of power adder. Class will qualify on a sportsman ladder and will run heads-up using a .400 pro tree. All vehicles must pass a NHRA/IHRA safety inspection for ET and speed.

WEIGHT BREAKS
All minimum weights are with driver.
POWER ADDER BASE CUBIC INCHES WEIGHT
Nitrous 380 2900
Nitrous 440 3050
Supercharger 380 3200
Supercharger 440 3350

Maximum cubic inches for all combinations is 480
If actual cubic-inch is more than base cubic inch listing, there will be a weight penalty of 8.5 lbs per cubic inch assessed to base weights, up to the maximum cubic inch permitted in the class.

WEIGHT ADDER/DEDUCTS
*4 bolt per cylinder OEM blocks deduct 50 lbs.
**Street style superchargers deduct 100 lbs.
#Sheet metal intakes add 25 lbs.

ENGINE: Must be a GM LS style block. Aftermarket cast iron or cast aluminum blocks permitted. Billet blocks prohibited. *4 bolt per cylinder OEM blocks deduct 50 pounds

HEADS: Must be GM LS Based inline valve OEM or aftermarket cast aluminum head. Billet heads prohibited. Canted valve heads prohibited.

INTAKE MANIFOLD: OEM or aftermarket composite or cast aluminum aftermarket intakes. Intake must be generally available and mass produced. Sheet metal intakes permitted (#see weights).

NITROUS OXIDE: Nitrous Oxide entries are restricted to a single fogger or a two stage nitrous plate system plate stacking. Progressive systems permitted.

SUPERCHARGERS: Single Cog or gear driven superchargers are permitted. Entries may use forward facing units vehicles may source air from hole in front bumper or valance.

PERMITTED SUPERCHARGERS: The following part numbers are the only permitted supercharger systems & exact units permitted:
Procharger-F1, F1R, D1**, D1X**, D1R**, P600**, D1SC**, P1SC**, P1SC-2**, P1SC-H**
Vortech-XI, YSI, V1**, A**, B**, S-trim**, Si-trim**, V-3-Si-trim**
Paxton Novi 2000, SN**, VR4**, 1000**
** Deduct 100 pounds from base weight

CARBURETOR: A single 4150 or 4500 style carburetor permitted on all combinations. .

FUEL INJECTION: Fuel injection must be electronic. Single throttle body required, maximum throttle body size is 102mm. Any size fuel injector permitted. Maximum of 8 injectors permitted. Commercially available plug in chips and stock type add on systems accepted. Aftermarket EFI systems such as DFI, FAST, etc., are permitted. Laptops of any type are not permitted in vehicle during competition.

OILING SYSTEM: Dry sumps are permitted but must be the OEM system.

EXHAUST: Mufflers are required on all combinations. Exhaust may exit underneath car away from driver.

FUEL: Gasoline is the only excepted fuel.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: Only Any OEM American automatic transmission allowed. Converter driven planetary transmissions are prohibited. Electric shifters or air shifters are prohibited. Trans Brakes are permitted.

SUSPENSION: Stock style suspension cars only. Aftermarket bolt-on replacement front K-members are allowed (if front shocks bolt to K-member then they must be in factory location). Mini tubs are allowed. Stock unaltered frame rails required in front sub frame. Stock rear sub frames are required, but outer frame rail portion only may be notched for tire clearance only. When notching, stock inboard section of rear frame rails must remain stock, unaltered, and in stock location. Rear frame rails must remain in OEM stock condition in all areas. Four links and back half cars are prohibited. Aftermarket direct replacement components such as: front control arms, rear control arms, front coil over shocks, and rear coil over shocks are permitted. Aftermarket rack and pinion steering permitted. Bolt-on or welded sub-frame connectors, rear sway bars, are permitted on all cars. Torque arms are only permitted on cars that came originally equipped from factory (with exception of IRS conversion cars). Cars originally equipped with rear wheel drive Independent rear suspension will be permitted to convert to solid axle and OEM design torque arm i.e., Corvette, GTO, 5th Gen Camaro with a 75 pound weight adder

WHEELIE BARS: Prohibited

BODY: The car must retain its original appearance, profiles, and dimensions. Factory roof and quarter panels must be used. Aftermarket fiberglass/carbon replacement panels
are limited to hood. Aftermarket wings and spoilers are permitted. Complete stock appearing front and rear bumpers are required. A hood must cover the entire induction system. Only OEM style Forward facing hood scoops are permitted.

INTERIOR: Must maintain stock appearance; including factory OEM dashboard, headliner & steering column cover. Floor and tunnel where visible must be upholstered or carpeted. Seats must be upholstered OEM or aftermarket seats in stock location. Rear seat may be removed when roll bar/roll cage are installed; area must be carpeted or upholstered.

WINDSHIELD/WINDOWS: OEM safety glass required. Lexan prohibited. Lexan can be used to replace or T-top glass only. GM F body car will be permitted to run Lexan in the t-top and rear hatch area.

STREET EQUIPMENT: Functional headlights, taillights and brake lights required. All headlights, brake lights, marker lights, etc must be on car and not removed for any
reason. All vehicles must be driven to the staging lanes, but may be towed back after crossing the scales.

TIRES: 275 DOT Drag radial or a 28.0” x 10.5” slick, (no “W” tires permitted) only. Actual measured tread of tire is limited to 10.75 inches. Tire width will be measured by a “go-no go” gauge. Tire width will be measured after conclusion of run at scale area. Tire shaving is prohibited.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Well first of all, I don't think I can get to 2850 to save my life. To me, the weights are unreasonable for an F-body with the restrictions they have. I currently have a cracked windshield with plans to replace it with speedglass. I'm not going to take the weight of a windshield/waste the money on a windshield all year for a single race. My nitrous setup isn't really good for the rules either. I have the first stage on a plate, and the second stage through a fogger. Also, is a 4150 TB bigger than 102 mm? I was also planning on cutting the frame horns off, but the rules prohibit it. And finally, my fog lights are long gone.

What I find funny is the fact that my car would probably be the slowest in the class, and I'm not even legal for it.

Last edited by jmill96Z; 01-30-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:06 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALOT of rules..

This pertains to the shootout that will be here in StL later this year correct?
Old 01-30-2010, 05:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
I was also planning on cutting the frame horns off, but the rules prohibit it.

What I find funny is the fact that my car would probably be the slowest in the class, and I'm not even legal for it.
Did read the frame rule... just another reason we are out. lol

Kinds funny but not really.
I think the rule makers at just out of touch with the real world. LOL
Old 01-30-2010, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Honestly, I am very disappointed. I have waited 3 years to be able to go to the shootout, and now I really have no class to enter into. Whoever made these rules is definately out of touch with anything outside the NMCA. Maybe I'll take the wife's Z and enter 12.0 on motor or something.

I know these rules were made to keep the gangsta's out of the class, but if you could make..say.. 5 changes, what would they be?

Mine would be:
1. Ditch the F1R
2. Allow a single 76mm turbo with no weight penalty
3. Let nitrous guys pill it to kill it--multiple stages no progressive
4. Allow Lexan with no visible screws or attaching devises
5. make the weights coincide with the spirit of the rules. Has anyone gotten an F-Body down to 2850-2950 w/ driver under these rules?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

LOL, my wife just looked at the rules and started laughing. Even she can see this is a bunch of garbage.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, I am very disappointed. I have waited 3 years to be able to go to the shootout, and now I really have no class to enter into. Whoever made these rules is definately out of touch with anything outside the NMCA. Maybe I'll take the wife's Z and enter 12.0 on motor or something.

I know these rules were made to keep the gangsta's out of the class, but if you could make..say.. 5 changes, what would they be?

Mine would be:
1. Ditch the F1R
2. Allow a single 76mm turbo with no weight penalty
3. Let nitrous guys pill it to kill it--multiple stages no progressive
4. Allow Lexan with no visible screws or attaching devises
5. make the weights coincide with the spirit of the rules. Has anyone gotten an F-Body down to 2850-2950 w/ driver under these rules?
or they could just take a some of the rules most of the fast LS cars and race by and use those. I know this is a NMCA co-event but to just use their rules and keep out the guys you want to come is silly.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 PM
9 Second Club

I just dont understand, why not use rules that will incorporate the most amount of cars, clearly these rules are garbage and will have 4 entries at most.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

This new class is huge disapointment to the faster nitrous cars out there. Who in the hell wants to run a factory drysump....... The no drysump and no Lexan is absolute joke. I'm not running a drysump for the extremely slight advantage, but for better bearing life and overall better oiling system. Just because some of us want to run a drysump doesn't mean we should be exluded from being able to race. Whats the average gains from running a drysump, 10-15 hp? Big deal... You can get the same gains in the 1/4 by taking a healthy **** before you make a pass.....

The no lexan deal is not safe either. Ask a friend of mine how it was picking glass out of his face and eyes when his glass windshield exploded at 150 mph..... Now thats unsafe....

I really hoped to run this class at the shootout as its now only about 3 hours from my house...

So unless they add a 50lb penalty for the drysump, and allow lexan......my only chance to race at the shootout is to throw some 315's on the car and run with the big boys.....
Old 01-31-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

All i can do is laugh and save the 3K on the trip. now we can afford the dry sump. LOL
Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 AM
8 Second Club

You know where I'm at as far as the rules go.

I tell you what I think is sad. At the Ultimate Outlaws 275 race at MIR we had 26 entries with 4 of them being LSx N2O cars. 3 of them qualified in the top 16. Thats more entries than all of the heads up classes that the lsx shootout put together and this race had more lsx n2o cars qualify for it, and this was a race that let in just about anything from turbo mustangs to big block mopars. Its a shame we can't have a good heads up lsx n2o race at the shootout. I would love to see a place where we could all get together and see whats up. I remember reading where Robin said that the lsx nitrous racers weren't dedicated or something to that effect. I think these following racers would be more dedicated and more likely to come to this event than the field that these rules will probably pull. Also of these following racers who would be legal for the proposed rules? These in my opinion at the best of the best in the lsx nitrous world and I think it sucks that just about all of them are ruled out.

RPM
ATVracr / Shiz
Tuff
SMKN TA 95
GuessWho
Eastside - Not sure if they still have a car or not
Noyzee
Ericg69ss
FastBlackTA
LMR's Nitrous Car
98CamaroLSX
TroyJR - yellow bullet

I know there are more nitrous racers but I suck at remembering names.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

My personal car and all the ones we race dont fit under those rules either. As already posted the top fastest guys that are on here dont qualify either. They should really look at the rules again if they want any really fast guys out there. I know I am not going to modify my car just for the lsx shootout. I know they cant make rules to fit everyone but if the top 6-10 fastest N2O cars cant even compete then maybe something needs to be changed.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the rules stay the way they are i'd be willing to bet the fastest nitrous car will be in the 9.50 range....
Old 01-31-2010, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

ill see if i get a new 9" in by then.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I guess I'm out too.... I didn't see the part about stock front frame rails till JMill mentioned it... Damn, I was really looking forward to actually getting to compete this year.

Maybe the Holley "LS Fest" will have some rules that will allow some fast nitrous cars come show their stuff.

If any of you guys want to get together and send them (NMCA) a proposal for some rule changes let me know. I'd like to see some of that stuff changed.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAKED
Well, I guess I'm out too.... I didn't see the part about stock front frame rails till JMill mentioned it... Damn, I was really looking forward to actually getting to compete this year.

Maybe the Holley "LS Fest" will have some rules that will allow some fast nitrous cars come show their stuff.

If any of you guys want to get together and send them (NMCA) a proposal for some rule changes let me know. I'd like to see some of that stuff changed.
Lol. Sounds like you're offering to submit changes, I have some to offer.....

Let nitrous cars run 2 stages of whatever they want
Allow lexan as long as there are no visible fasteners
Allow canted valve heads with 100lb penalty
Change the front frame rule
As of right now, the weights are not reasonable-- why not bump them up another 100-150lbs

The frame rule is unreasonable. Somebody who cut their horns off years ago have no way to bring their car into compliance.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
9 Second Club

Lol. Sounds like you're offering to submit changes, I have some to offer.....

Let nitrous cars run 2 stages of whatever they want
Allow lexan as long as there are no visible fasteners
Allow canted valve heads with 100lb penalty
Change the front frame rule
As of right now, the weights are not reasonable-- why not bump them up another 100-150lbs

The frame rule is unreasonable. Somebody who cut their horns off years ago have no way to bring their car into compliance.
Add dry sump
Old 01-31-2010, 08:22 PM
8 Second Club

Lexan
frame rail
i got a fogger and a plate so im out
Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the frame rule. But I think as long as the car will pass NHRA/IHRA tech it should be ok to run. My car isn't unsafe because of how my front end is done, actually it's probably safer than stock.

I have a 2 stage setup too but I could deal with only using one of them with a progressive. I've got some .042 jets for my fogger LOL
Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Whoops

Sometimes that high tech baller stuff slips my mind.

Quick Reply: Nitrous rules for 275 at the LSX shootout...