Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my bottle and noids to old to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my bottle and noids to old to use?

I bought my nos dry kit brand new back in 2002 and have not used it since 2004. Do you think my bottle and noids are still good? I did the test for the noids and they clicked like normal. I just wonder if I should have them rebuilt to be sure. I also read on here that if bottles are over 5 years old, they need to be replaced. Is that a true statement? I don't see how a bottle could go bad. I have my kids in the car every day but NEVER open the bottle with them in there. I just want to be a safe as possible with everything being this old. I do have the blowdown tube on the bottle that exits the bottom of the car.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tanks are certified for a certain number of years... I don't know off the top of my head what that number is.

The noids should be okay with a rebuild.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
The tanks are certified for a certain number of years... I don't know off the top of my head what that number is.

The noids should be okay with a rebuild.
Holly ****. My bottle is 10 years old. I looked at mine at it reads 09 00. It has a small symbol in between the numbers. Where can I get it re-certified?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

I would also like to know where to get re-certified, my bottle is old.

Aren't the main thing that gets old in solenoids the plunger? I bought a dynotune solenoid plunger replacement kit, I hope thats enough to get my solenoids good again.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

lol Does your wife think your bottle and noids are too old to use?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sworaz
lol Does your wife think your bottle and noids are too old to use?
she prob does lol. She don't really touch them anymore
Old 01-31-2010, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

If you are in a hurry or a $$$ bind just hook everything up off of the car and see if there are any leaks, make sure everything works properly, etc....

If you have time I'd get one of the sponsors to check out the noids and the bottle.

-Will
Old 01-31-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TARZAN
If you are in a hurry or a $$$ bind just hook everything up off of the car and see if there are any leaks, make sure everything works properly, etc....

If you have time I'd get one of the sponsors to check out the noids and the bottle.

-Will
yeah the rebuild kits are 33 bucks each and 10 to ship them. I can rebuild them myself. It looks very simple. I just need a place to get my bottle certified. Do you know if they take it apart and inspect ir or just put a few pounds in and check for leaks?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
yeah the rebuild kits are 33 bucks each and 10 to ship them. I can rebuild them myself. It looks very simple. I just need a place to get my bottle certified. Do you know if they take it apart and inspect ir or just put a few pounds in and check for leaks?
most welding suppies stores will recert. your bottle about 20.00 up here for Alu.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM
FormerVendor

They hydrotest them. Some large welding/gas supply stores can do it for you or they can send them out to a company that does. I know out west, where they don't have volunteer fire, some of the larger stations can re-cert them as well.

nick
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
They hydrotest them. Some large welding/gas supply stores can do it for you or they can send them out to a company that does. I know out west, where they don't have volunteer fire, some of the larger stations can re-cert them as well.

nick
Do they check the valve as well?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Do they check the valve as well?
Valves aren't cert'd technically. Why, do you suspect an issue with the valve?

Nick
Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Valves aren't cert'd technically. Why, do you suspect an issue with the valve?

Nick
Well at one time, it would kinda drag if you will when opening and closing. I would turn the **** to open it and it would hang a little and catch at the same spot when closing it. This is with the bottle empty btw. I just went to test it about a year ago and it was doing that. It has since stopped and opens and closes just fine now. I just want to cover all my bases. Do they make rebuild kits for these just in case? I dropped off the bottle this morning and they don't test the valve.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the bottle was droped or knocked over at one time it may have slightly bent the valve stem causing it to drag when it opened and closed. I would deffintly hav ethe bottle re certified for safety reasons. If you are unsure of things feel free to send me the bottle and solenoids and I will check it out for you. I can also have a local company Hydrotest the bottle and re certify it for you. Shoot me a pm if you need the help.
Dave
Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
If the bottle was droped or knocked over at one time it may have slightly bent the valve stem causing it to drag when it opened and closed. I would deffintly hav ethe bottle re certified for safety reasons. If you are unsure of things feel free to send me the bottle and solenoids and I will check it out for you. I can also have a local company Hydrotest the bottle and re certify it for you. Shoot me a pm if you need the help.
Dave
I dropped the bottle off this morning to get it recertified but they don't check the valve. They hydrotest it there as well. I have owned the bottle since I got it new and it has never been knocked over. The valve is not bent at all. I already ordered the solenoid kits and have them apart now. I can do that part without issue. They should be able to tell if something is wrong with the valve when getting it filled shouldn't they? Does anyone sell a kit to rebuild the valve?