Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the consequences of getting pulled over with nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the consequences of getting pulled over with nitrous?

What are the consequences of having an unused nitrous bottle in your vehicle? I often wonder what would happen if I was pulled over by a state trooper, and the 'disconnected' bottle of nitrous was discovered. Since its disconnected, would there be an issue?

What if the bottle is empty? I mean the feed lines to the motor are visible, but disconnected. Would an empty bottle vs. full make a difference?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

here in georga you are fine as long as the feed line is disconnected from the bottle
Old 02-18-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Regular

Here in Texas the cops spray to keep up with us til the helecopter is called in.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

depend on state here...im ok
Old 02-18-2010, 02:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in MD i doubt they would even look, but ultimately i guess they could impound your vehicle and give you some tickets. I still dont understand why it is illegal when you can make as much hp as you want with forced induction etc.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
in MD i doubt they would even look, but ultimately i guess they could impound your vehicle and give you some tickets. I still dont understand why it is illegal when you can make as much hp as you want with forced induction etc.
The reason for that being is that nitrous is more hazardous. I would think because it would catch on fire. I seen a lot of f body's catch on fire. But nitrous itself is not flammable. But if your f body for some reason caught on fire(electrical) then the oxygen from the nitrous will make it into a big *** fire that could possibly kill you within seconds of the fire. But hey what are the chances of catching a fire in the back, unless someone rear ends you. I would think maybe to make some kind of Nitrous license or something? That would be fair. Take a nitrous class and you can run nitrous

and op in Texas they tow your vehicle and some tickets. Dont know about 2 or 3 time offenders though. A quick purge at the stop light could be construed as a "display of speed". If the cop wanted to be a toad, he could ticket you for that.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

NJ needs a permit.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i asked a cop here in TX, and he said as far as he knew, nothing. disconnected or not...

i'm still looking to get a second opinion..
Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In VA it's not illegal or the cops don't care. I don't think it's the nitrous itself that's the hazzard but the pressurized bottle. If your car caught on fire there's a good chance that bottle will heat up to the point that it will explode and blow the back half of your car to bits. But if you had a fire proof blow down tube I doubt anything would explode...
Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

i've been pulled over multiple times in MO and my bottle is clearly visible between the back seats and i have never had a cop even mention anything about it....(knock on wood)
Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In md you cna have it but your supposed to have dot decals so if you don't it illeagle. they normally don't mess with you if its not connected.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im always more worried when we go to a race with 2 75lb mother bottles and 5 15lb bottles in the back. lol
Old 02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

In Indiana they don't care. Had a state trooper basically stick his entire head in my drivers window. He was smelling for liquor and saw the bottles and said nothing. Let me go after he asked how fast my vette ran in the 1/4.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

There are some states that have laws against having nitrous in the car period. There are some that have laws where you have nitrous in the car but the bottle can't be hooked up and there are some states that dint give two ***** if you have nitrous in the car.

I know I've been pulled over several times in TX and i haven't gotten a citation or had the officer even blink at the fact that i had a bottle in open view hooked up.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSdimension
The reason for that being is that nitrous is more hazardous. I would think because it would catch on fire. I seen a lot of f body's catch on fire. But nitrous itself is not flammable. But if your f body for some reason caught on fire(electrical) then the oxygen from the nitrous will make it into a big *** fire that could possibly kill you within seconds of the fire. But hey what are the chances of catching a fire in the back, unless someone rear ends you. I would think maybe to make some kind of Nitrous license or something? That would be fair. Take a nitrous class and you can run nitrous

and op in Texas they tow your vehicle and some tickets. Dont know about 2 or 3 time offenders though. A quick purge at the stop light could be construed as a "display of speed". If the cop wanted to be a toad, he could ticket you for that.
Nitrous itself is not flammable. You have to mix a fuel with nitrous to make it burn. Nitrous is just oxygen and oxygen by itself does not burn. It requires a fuel.

Oxygen + fuel + spark = fire
Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z06kern
In Indiana they don't care. Had a state trooper basically stick his entire head in my drivers window. He was smelling for liquor and saw the bottles and said nothing. Let me go after he asked how fast my vette ran in the 1/4.

That is good to know!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
In md you cna have it but your supposed to have dot decals so if you don't it illeagle. they normally don't mess with you if its not connected.
Good to know. I'm in MD, and this is the same place a friend was pulled over in 9years ago, and had his vehicle thoroughly searched, starting with opening his hood for inspection. The exhaust was checked as well. The car was towed, his license suspended, etc, etc, but then again he was street racing.

So is there a site that lists the different state laws, or do I have to check each state law? And I have a feeling that counties may make up their own laws as well.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

i've heard that here in MO its legal to have in your car, but its illegal to use on public roads...go figure
Old 02-19-2010, 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
In VA it's not illegal or the cops don't care. I don't think it's the nitrous itself that's the hazzard but the pressurized bottle. If your car caught on fire there's a good chance that bottle will heat up to the point that it will explode and blow the back half of your car to bits. But if you had a fire proof blow down tube I doubt anything would explode...
I thought in VA it had to be disconnected if they check?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

In Mass I had a cop spot my bottle between the back seats, it was empty and disconnected and he was trying to tell my I needed a HAZMAT card. I was like WTF?? its only a 10lb bottle and its empty. He was OK after that.

I now live in florida and my friend Greg is a local cop and has a built SS with spray and he told me that most cops down here wont even care.

Quick Reply: What are the consequences of getting pulled over with nitrous?