Nitrous Oxide
Installation | Tuning | Products

bottle heater and pressure gauge help needed

Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
On The Tree

Trader Rating: 1
Default bottle heater and pressure gauge help needed

ok here is the deal
i bought a new relay from nitrous outlet and a few month back i turned the bottle heater on a few times and after a run or two of everything doing just fine i noticed it became harder to get my pressure up, meaning the heater had to stay on longer to bring it up to 800-900psi well because of that longer time i noticed that the power wire in the relay was getting so hot that it started melting the relay plastics.so that has kept me from using it since because i know with it being this cold outside i dont want to have to run the heater too long and cause it to melt more or fry or anything. btw, the wires i used for the wiring are as big if not bigger than the onew used in th relay, what can i do?

ok next issue, what product can i buy or do to have a pressure gauge up front with me instead of the one on the bottle, i would like to see it from my seat instead of going back to the STC to see what the pressure is at
Joinedthedarkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
11 Second Club

Trader Rating: 46

Where are you running the power wire from the relay to? To the Battery? to the fuse box?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
FormerVendor

Trader Rating: 18

Pm'd your questions back
Brad@NANO Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
On The Tree

thanks, ummm i forget where i have it wired to, it was last summer, i will check again. but i may just go nano to avoid this whole thing
Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
11 Second Club

Trader Rating: 46

You need to make sure the relay has a good source of power like direct to the battery or a positive terminal block, not tapped off a 12+wire somewhere.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
FormerVendor

Trader Rating: 4

What gauge wire did you use?

Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joinedthedarkside View Post
ok here is the deal
i bought a new relay from nitrous outlet and a few month back i turned the bottle heater on a few times and after a run or two of everything doing just fine i noticed it became harder to get my pressure up, meaning the heater had to stay on longer to bring it up to 800-900psi well because of that longer time i noticed that the power wire in the relay was getting so hot that it started melting the relay plastics.so that has kept me from using it since because i know with it being this cold outside i dont want to have to run the heater too long and cause it to melt more or fry or anything. btw, the wires i used for the wiring are as big if not bigger than the onew used in th relay, what can i do?

ok next issue, what product can i buy or do to have a pressure gauge up front with me instead of the one on the bottle, i would like to see it from my seat instead of going back to the STC to see what the pressure is at
Nick@HSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
TECH Senior Member

Trader Rating: 36

X2 on the gauge question.
LilJayV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11

The best way to add a gauge to the cabin/dash area is to get an electric nitrous pressure gauge with a sending unit. This way you don't have to run any extra nitrous lines back into the cabin. One example would be:

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...7&product=3457
Old 03-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #9
On The Tree

well i think that is the problem, i did not run it to a good enough power source, i knew i used a big enough wire i think it was like 10-12gauge wire but it is wired to a 12v source that is only like 20gauge so i am gonna rewire that wire straight to the battery or how about to a 4gauge power wire i used to run my amps off of. i no longer run the amps but still have the wire ran to the back
Old 03-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
TECH Enthusiast

Trader Rating: 0

^^^Odds are that was your problem. Make sure you have a fuse on that wire to the battery and the fuse is no more than 6" from the battery. A 4 gauge will work too.

By chance do you know what that wire went to that you spliced off from?
My lame youtube channel
danieloneil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
On The Tree

behind the tv so probably to the stock stereo or something i think.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
FormerVendor

Trader Rating: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joinedthedarkside View Post
well i think that is the problem, i did not run it to a good enough power source, i knew i used a big enough wire i think it was like 10-12gauge wire but it is wired to a 12v source that is only like 20gauge so i am gonna rewire that wire straight to the battery or how about to a 4gauge power wire i used to run my amps off of. i no longer run the amps but still have the wire ran to the back
That's your issue. If you're pulling high amps through too thin of a gauge wire, you're gonna have all sorts of issues. Its ok to use a switched 12+ on another circuit to trip the relay but that's it. You need to pull the amp load from a suitable source such as a battery or remote terminal that is designed to handle the load.

Nick
Nick@HSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #13
LS1TECH & TRUCK Sponsor

Trader Rating: 25

Here is a good chart for amp vs wire vs lenth.
http://www.nitroustech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com
If you want the highest quality, highest flowing products backed by the most knowledgeable staff with full time tech service that answers the phones full time, responds to pms, emails and post on the boards with technical information our products and our company is the choice for you.
"The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long After The Sweetness Of Cheap Price Is Forgotten".
Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote