Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have a safe way to run 300-400hp single NX S.H.O single nozzle shot

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 05:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have a safe way to run 300-400hp single NX S.H.O single nozzle shot

Well...heres my dilemma and i hope rather than hearing "its not going to work" someone will have a great idea on how to get this to work.

I'm running a west coast heads up drag racing class in the PSCA (www.pscaracing.com) - Limited Street, with my ls1 street, grocery getter c4 vette.

I goto the races every year and its all serious race cars with big time money.

Rules - hydralic cammed, 412" small block or less, 800 cfm carb or 75mm throttle body or less, stock style suspension, full interior/exterior,28x11.5 ET Street, 3200lb race weight class. (76mm turbo or less, limited street blowers)
and single fogger or single plate, 4an lined,2 solenoid, 10 lb bottle nitrous setups
Record holder last year was a 9.5x 1/4 mile @ 142 mph in a novi 2k 408 mustang.

I need to get 300 rwhp out of my nitrous kit
Im going to use a Nitrous Express Shark S.H.O. Wet nitrous kit, that NX is going to sponser me on. I can ONLY run a single spray bar plate (which would limit me to the NX MAF Kit) or a single fogger nozzle

I was thinking about doing this one of two ways.

1) NX Makes a Shark S.H.O Fogger nozzle made to go up to 400 RWHP
I have room to mount the bottle under the hood where the A/C & Heater box used to go. Which means i can run a 2 ft 4AN line to the giant NX solenoid, then a 1 ft 4AN line to the fogger nozzle. /w my dedicated fuel system.
I have a dyno, so i could dyno tune it VERY carefully watching for knock working my way up slowly.
The problem with non-direct ports is that you get some cylinders that done get enough fuel and some that get extra nitrous

So I can run the A/F ratio in the 10.0-10.3 Range and make every cylinder very rich at the 300-350 rwhp level. Even if one cylinder gets extra nitrous or a little less fuel, it still wont go lean and hurt anything. This can put me in the 800-850 rwhp range. I would run a Window switch @ 5000 rpm to keep the nitrous from hitting early and causing huge cylinder pressure.
The 2 ft nitrous line instead of a 12 ft line would take away the 4an restricting me to a 250-300 shot.

2) I can run a MAX NX Plate kit in the same style since its a conventional plate system but i think it maxes out @ 300 hp??

Any other good ideas?? Ive had a customers C5 stock bottom end ls1 on a NX single fogger 250 rwhp for 3 years and zero problems..so i know it can be done
Old 01-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Teching In

If your looking for a 300hp hit then get the NX MAF plate. If your looking to do a 400hp hit you're going to have to use the Shark S.H.O nozzle
Old 01-04-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

if it was me i'll try to use bigger injector for the back cylinder
Old 01-04-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whether you use the MAF plate or the nozzle I would definatly try to setup some type of tool that can read EGT's from EVERY cylinder. With the ability to read every cylinder you can have a much better idea of what you need to do with your tuning. You will need all the help you can get trying to save that motor spraying that much through the TB.

I believe Harlan was working on something to read EGT's from every cylinder, but I am unsure as to whether or not he ever finished it.

Whatever ever you decide to do good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Banned

Well i dont think the EGT on every cylinder thing is going to be possible.

I have ls1edit and can tune per cylinder i believe.

Does anyone know which cylinders most often go lean? I could try to add extra fuel to that individual cylinder. Plus I can check plugs after after short pull on the dyno.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

As you said That line will not support 400 hp. I think it will support around 330 though...but to get that much youll have to jack up the pressure to 1200 psi. So you will have to tune your fuel /nitrous jets to that nitrous pressure. I would recomend getting a nitrogen bottle and pressurizing your nitrous bottles to 1250 right before you run.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Banned

383LQ4SS: Yea ive seen for myself that i cant usually get more than 250 to the wheels on the dyno with a 12-16 FT 4AN line.

But im going to be using a 2FT 4AN line which NOS & NX thinks will flow 500+ easily.

Hmm nitrogen bottles eh? I never thought of that...i can do it with a regulator to a nitrogen bottle and set extra pressure before each run. But the problem with that would be pressure would fall off REALLY hard during each run wouldnt it??

I would think it would be easier to run a bottle @ 1000 psi and it will maintain pressure easier wouldnt it???
Old 01-04-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually...now that I think about it...you could do a dry setup similiar to mine. 48 lb injectors, good fule system and fuel rails. Jack up the bottle pressure to get whatever you can to flow through the shortest AN4 line. Custom tuning for the injectors/fuel system. I think you could get 350 rwhp gain from that if you jack up the bottle pressure to 1250 or so. Especially if you use say an NOS 15 lb bottle half full then pressurize it with 1250 head pressure with nitrogen. SHould keep the pressure drop to a minimum during a run too. Maybe experiment with -4an hard lines too. I am running a 300 all dry sprayed down the intake and have had 0 problems with lean cylinders in a few years.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I have never tried a short line like your saying. It doesnt seem like you could get 500 rwhp with a -4 line even if it was short. I have no doubt you could get more..but is 500 feasable? Anyways...with a line being a restiction...flow of volume will be directly related to PSI pushing the juice out.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Banned

hey 383 we need a chat room so its easier to talk back and forth?? got any ideas...
there needs to be an LS1Tech chat room going with the amount of people on here.

We talked about your dry setup through private message a while back quite a bit...and i really would love to try it but I dont think i have the fuel system ability to do it.... Do you think i could spray dry through both sides of a SHO fogger and do a dual stage that looks like a single nozzle (they only allow one nozzle and two solenoids). I could put a fuel sticker on one of the nitrous solenoids heheh..

4AN hard lines eh?? I wonder if those can flow more?? hmmm...

Ok, but how on earth am i going to to a fuel system from my 255lph intank pump and stock fuel lines (c4 corvette) and upgrade fuel rails. That alone sounds expensive (but i wouldnt have to buy a nitrous kit, i have the extra parts to do a dry kit).
Old 01-04-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

C4 Im at work right now So chat isnt an option. Tell ya what...my AIM name is alljonz. Put it on your list and we can talk about some options sometime.. I think you can get to where you want to be with a little "creative thinking"

Ill be back here later..gotta go do some work.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by C4VetteLS1
Does anyone know which cylinders most often go lean? I could try to add extra fuel to that individual cylinder
Usually the cylinders the farthest away lean out first. Which in most cases tend to be the #7 and #8 cylinders
Old 01-04-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Judging from you signature you shouldn't have much of a problem beating the car that won last year. With 900 hp you should be capable of some mid 9 second passes. BUT I would use the NX MAF kit though.

Josh S.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well i dont think the EGT on every cylinder thing is going to be possible.

I have ls1edit and can tune per cylinder i believe.

Does anyone know which cylinders most often go lean? I could try to add extra fuel to that individual cylinder. Plus I can check plugs after after short pull on the dyno.
To my knowledge on most of the motors that have been damaged due to a lean condition it was the #6 piston that was damaged.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:39 PM

Ive always seen #7 or 8 go. I lost #7.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bad Habit Bird
To my knowledge on most of the motors that have been damaged due to a lean condition it was the #6 piston that was damaged.

I'm no guru yet, but my #5 & 6 went out in my car, so I believe that theory is correct.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to sound like a jackass here, but it sounds like more trouble than its worth to run nitrous. The restrictions just seem too heavy on the nitrous crowd to allow them to have a competitive car. A friend of mine competing in that class this year just put down 950 RWHP with a PT76GTS, and would make the weight requirement for the class as long as he has a full tank of gas and his stereo in. Once again, I'm not trying to sound like a bastard, I just think that you will be hard pressed to win in a nitrous car.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the troubles I have had with a single nozzle or anything in front of the TB was with thefront 2 cylinders,not the back. I dont think I would even attempt over 200hp infront of TB.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Banned

Well ive had nothing but good luck for 3 years on a customers C5 spraying a 200 rwhp NX single fogger....

BUT, im almost convinced. Dont build your car for any class or rules...build it the way you want to and screw it.....

Well I think im going to go direct port. and haul some *** on a huge scale??? sound good?....sure does to me..
Old 01-13-2004, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Do you think i could spray dry through both sides of a SHO fogger and do a dual stage that looks like a single nozzle (they only allow one nozzle and two solenoids). I could put a fuel sticker on one of the nitrous solenoids heheh..

i think you might be on to something there, lol just do some creative routing of the line going to the "fuel" solenoid so they can't find it's origin.

Quick Reply: I think I have a safe way to run 300-400hp single NX S.H.O single nozzle shot