Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous not activating

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous not activating

I've been having some issues with my nitrous system. I have a Harris Speedworks nozzle wet kit. Also running a microedge controller. I've checked and rechecked and triple checked everything on the microedge, I've even reset it and reprogrammed it. Everything is how it was when my system was working correctly. I've also changed relays. And there is plenty of nitrous in the bottle.

I listened to the solenoids using the microedge to hear if they were clicking, and I couldn't hear anything. What is the likelyhood that both my nitrous and fuel solenoids went bad at the same time? Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried undoing the wires to the solenoids and putting them straight to 12v to see if they are still working?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Have you tried undoing the wires to the solenoids and putting them straight to 12v to see if they are still working?
No, I just tried activating them through the microedge. The controller would say "spray" when I went WOT, but I couldn't hear the noids click at all.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Go back and make sure the noids are ok then check all your grounds. Do a little process of elimination to narrow down your problem.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 AM
FormerVendor

When you tested the system what were your settings in the microedge? Are you sure your wiring is hooked up correctly? Lots of possibilities, so lets start with the basics. Shoot me a PM/email/call and lets get going on it.

Nick
Old 04-30-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

You know, I had a very similar issue when I first installed my Microedge. In the end after hours of tracing everything twice over, it ended up simply being setting related. The only reason that got figured out was due to HSW's top notch tech support. I'm sure you guys will be able to get it worked out.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:24 AM
9 Second Club

Im guilty of forget'n the FPSS a few times. Make sure it has continuity when psi is up.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
When you tested the system what were your settings in the microedge? Are you sure your wiring is hooked up correctly? Lots of possibilities, so lets start with the basics. Shoot me a PM/email/call and lets get going on it.

Nick
I am sure the wiring is setup correct, I've sprayed a few bottles through it without any problems. Havn't changed any of the wiring. When I tested the noids I had the tps set to 4.00, (WOT is 4.3x) no window, leanout was off, bottle was closed and the system was armed. I went WOT multiple times and didn't hear the solenoids click. My purge solenoid did go bad a week or two prior to my nitrous not spraying, could that have had any ill effects on my nitrous solenoid?

Seth
Old 04-30-2010, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3fingas
Im guilty of forget'n the FPSS a few times. Make sure it has continuity when psi is up.
I'm not running a fpss at this time.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you check your ground? relay for the solenoids go bad? what exactly happened to your purge to make it go "bad" anyway?
after all the above, i would try bypassing the microedge and listening for the solenoids with no pressure on them.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
did you check your ground? relay for the solenoids go bad? what exactly happened to your purge to make it go "bad" anyway?
after all the above, i would try bypassing the microedge and listening for the solenoids with no pressure on them.

I have tried a different relay thinking that was the problem but no luck. I'm not sure what exactly happened to the purge solenoid but it stopped working and the housing is loose (I can spin it around with my fingertips). I just blocked it off. My kit was still working fine though until a week or two later.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

I have the same issue as you...when I try to test my solonoids with the microedge, they dont work but when the car is running and its activated, they do. My wiring is exactly same as the stage 1 wiring diagram from HSW
Old 05-02-2010, 01:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
I have the same issue as you...when I try to test my solonoids with the microedge, they dont work but when the car is running and its activated, they do. My wiring is exactly same as the stage 1 wiring diagram from HSW
Well damn, I wish I could say my kit worked when the car was running lol
Old 05-02-2010, 04:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your best bet is to open up a support ticket through HSW on their website. they're pretty good/quick with that system.

or... you could just sell me your microedge.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
your best bet is to open up a support ticket through HSW on their website. they're pretty good/quick with that system.

or... you could just sell me your microedge.
Well. . honestly I don't think it's a problem with the microedge. I'd like to keep it for now
Old 05-02-2010, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

have you tried arming the system and tried to use it other then just testing it?

set all the settings on the microedge for when you go to do a run and activate it, and try it....it might work...this is what mine does anyways

just a thought.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

have you tried arming the system and tried to use it other then just testing it?

set all the settings on the microedge for when you go to do a run and activate it, and try it....it might work...this is what mine does anyways

just a thought.
Yeah that's my problem, it wasn't activating during a run (which almost cost me a race lol) So I'm attempting to troubleshoot now and that's why I tested the solenoids using the microedge.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
Yeah that's my problem, it wasn't activating during a run (which almost cost me a race lol) So I'm attempting to troubleshoot now and that's why I tested the solenoids using the microedge.
do you have the HSW nitrous solonoid??

was there a mesh screen on the inlet side of it?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

do you have the HSW nitrous solonoid??

was there a mesh screen on the inlet side of it?
Yes, I am using HSW solenoids. I don't recall if there was a mesh screen or not though.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
Yes, I am using HSW solenoids. I don't recall if there was a mesh screen or not though.
I went from brand new shitty NOS solonoids to HSW solonoids last week. The nitrous inlet had a mesh screen and apparently when I put the fitting in, it crunched up the screen and blocked the fitting....when I went to go use the kit, everything was working but no power...took that screen out and I was back in business.

is your controller saying standby when the power is on? then flip the switch, armed and WOT trigger?

Quick Reply: Nitrous not activating